Posts by ronmail65

Yes, I'm a newbie so these questions may simply come from inexperience. Or, maybe there's something wrong or something that I need to do differently. Looking for feedback please.

• Kemper takes about 2 minutes to boot up when powered on. Is that normal?
    • Kemper controls and remote functions have frozen on me a few times. I think this correlates to those moments when I've had my Mac connected and the Mac times out into a sleep mode. Is this normal?
    • When switching between modes using the chickenhead knob (without the Mac or remote hooked up), the Kemper has locked up / frozen and stopped producing sound. In fact, I could not even turn it off. With the chickenhead knob turned to the off position, everything was still lit up as it if it were on - no onscreen messages, warnings, etc.... I finally unplugged it, then restarted and it was fine. This has only happened to me 2 or 3 times. Is there something that I might have done to cause this? Is this cause for concern?

Feedback / comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ron

Still getting the hang of this new gear...

So, the Remote has a bunch of LEDs - 4 around each button on the top row, and 2 at each button on the bottom row (not counting the Tap, Tuner, and Loop LEDs). Is there a legend or something that tells me what each of these LEDs indicate? And what they mean when they are on / off / flashing / or turn different colors?

I don't see anything in the documentation that gives a complete picture of this. Does that exist or can someone please explain?

Thanks,
    Ron

I'm generalizing here.... but, tube amps seem to have a certain way of cutting through the mix that solid state amps seem to universally lack. I know the Kemper is capable - I've heard it, but I haven't identified it. Sure I can get louder, but I'm still missing that 'cut' and 'gut punch' that I'm used to hearing from tube amps.

Is there a secret EQ setting or other type of effect that seems to do this trick for the Kemper?

I'm still new to the Kemper rig... I recently purchased the compatible Mission Expression Pedal, but was not happy with it.

First, the pedal seemed to have a rather large dead spot in the throw. I used the calibration feature, but the dead spot remained. So, I decided to exchange the pedal for the Moog EP-3. I don't have it yet, but the feedback on this forum and elsewhere seems promising. It's also a great price.

Second, and this maybe a Kemper thing (or a user error thing) - but the volume pedal functioned at the front of the signal chain. It lowered gain and tone, just like my guitar volume knob. I want the pedal to be at the end of the signal chain. Is this a KPA setting adjustment or is this a KPA default?

Thanks,
    Ron

this is not recommended at all.

users experienced problems following similar 'tips' in the past.

Not to be difficult... but isn't the forum all about sharing user information and experiences (ie, "tips")? That's how other user forums operate.

I understand that some information may be opinion, or actually incorrect. That's an inherent risk of following the advice of others, isn't it?

Sorry to argue the point. I was not expecting this type of response.

I'm a Kemper Newbie, still getting my arms around how to use and set up the Profiler and the Rig Manager. I'm a little confused and I'd like to get started on the right foot without making a mess - where I can't find anything or actually lose data. I'm reading through the documentation, but I know there's a lot of practical advice that can be shared as well.

So, with regard to 'data management' and the folder structure in Rig Manager (ie, Rigs, Performances, Settings, Local, Backup, etc...), is there (or can some experienced user document) a "Tips and Tricks" type of thread with basic organizational techniques with recommendations on how / when to back up, what to back up, how to efficiently structure or create folders, how to do a factory reset, etc... Or maybe something like this already exists and I just can't find it on the site (or I can find pieces here and there).

Yes, I get that some of this may be personal preference - but even some frame of reference from other users would be great.

Thanks,
    Ron

I'm back... I was hooked on using the Line6 AXSys and AX212 amps in the late 1990's. Got great sounds (or so I thought at the time) and the convenience of the rig for a gigging cover band was awesome. Then I got an MB MkIV.

Over the last 17 years I've been all about tube amps, but wanted to get back to this idea of a rig of stored patches of awesome sounds, ultimate versatility, and 1 head with 1 pedal that does it all. Never been happy with digital amp sounds until now. Still learning the amp and finding the tones I want, but I think this is it!

I'm looking for great classic rock tones - from Early VH, to Romantics, to Scorpions, to STP, to Acoustics, to just good raw EL34 rock tones... Any direction to great sources for these sounds would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ron