Posts by Wolfophonic

I make cabinet I/Rs using a sine sweep and DeConvolver. It seems like the Kemper could be able to do a better job. I'm not certain if the Kemper profiles the distortion of a speaker or not, but I/Rs do not.

I would like to make a profile in the usual way, but with the following differences:

1. A setting to tell the Kemper that this is a CABINET ONLY profile.

2. Using a linear amplifier connected to the speaker, make a profile that only makes a cabinet.

3. The Kemper would know not to try and profile an amp. It would store the profile as a cabinet.

4. Tada. A well made cabinet for the Kemper.

What could be better?

Signed illegibly,

Mahhonghuo Frandiflicooubblr

(Wolf)

I like the idea. The Rig Exchange is way too big to manage. We do need some way of filtering them. A better rating system could also help. A scale of 5 is rather course. Perhaps the sonic characteristics word or tag should be entered by the up-loader. If a Rig has no descriptor tag, then anyone could add one, but no one could alter one made by the owner.

Did that make any sense at all?

Wolf

We all sure would love this. But I can see why Kemper does not do it. They want you to buy a Kemper. A solution would be a requirement for the Kemper to be plugged in through USB or the VST plugin would be disabled. Basically using the Kemper as a dongle.

Just an idea anyway,

Wolf

I think this may be quite good for bass. But it gives me another idea. Mixing between two different cabs. When I make a cab I/R, I don't have the luxury of a studio for hearing the mic setup. So I'll make several with an SM57 and a ribbon mic. One will be equal loudness from each mic, and the others will have one or the other mic lower in volume. I do it in 10% increments. Then I load them into the Kemper and try them till I find the right balance. It would be great to just have a balance control for this. My guess is that it's not possible for the Kemper to have two cabs loaded though so it's just a wish.

Okay. All points well taken. The reason it seemed viable to me is the fact that during the profiling process, the refine step is done without additional tones being sent out to the amp. It seemed to me (perhaps wrongly) that the only input to the refine process was the input of the guitar.

It was an interesting idea anyway.

Wolf

It would be wonderful to be able to go back to a previously profiled amp and do the refine over again and try to make it better. I realize without the original setup you wouldn't be able to compare the real amp to the profiled amp, but my observation is that the more different sounds you use in the refine step the more accurate it becomes. And if you refine some more it again becomes more accurate.

When I profile, for the refine step I use a prerecorded guitar sequence of chords, slaps, highly dissonant chords and all of the sound I can from the guitar. The track also has these sounds from several guitars. It works extremely well, but still not 100% exact. I think I could make a better track with more sounds, so the re-refine would be nice.

Sent form my Shoe-Phone.

I agree. I am making and acquiring quite a few cabinets and find it difficult to sort through them and audition them.

Also, in the CAB editor where you can select a CAB, there is "Autoload". It's wonderful that you can scroll through the cabs and hear them, but the screen goes away really fast. Please let us leave the list open so we can audition the various CABs without the screen popping back to the previous screen.

Happy Everything,
    Wolf

Since the Kemper is a secret box full of magic that nobody know how works, it's difficult to make decisions about refining a profile. How you do it does make a difference. But we are all just guessing. (And wondering.)

A guide with some background about what the Kemper is listening for and perhaps an explanation of just what types of guitar sounds cause what types of refinements would be extremely helpful. Also some info about what happens when you refine for more that the suggested 20 seconds would be good. Do refining signals start to become less and less important as time goes by? Does drastically changing what you play while refining negate what you were playing before? It's such a black hole, yet an important part of the profiling process, we really do need more guidance.

My wish anyway,
    Wolf

I wish for this too. What I am planning to do is to record some chords and notes using several guitars in 24 bit 96K on my field recorder and have that plugged into the Kemper for refining, Since I have no place to profile where the amp is too far away to hear, I can't tweak or compare. So I don't really know if my profiles ore accurate or not. But I figured if they were always refined with the exact same sounds each time, perhaps the profile will at least be consistent.

If I am crazy, let me know because I'll need to see a doctor if I am.

From Canned Heat's "Fried Hockey Boogie" ..... "Don't forget to boogie."

My IEMs sound horrible sometimes too, but I know why mine sound bad. For me, and many IEMs, the input impedance is about 32 ohms. Your headphone amp must have a source (output) impedance that is at minimum, 8 times less than the earphones. That means the output impedance of the headphone amp for my IEMs must be 4 ohms or lower. Many high-end HP amps are now advertising near-zero out impedance just for this reason. If the output impedance is too high, you will have reduced bass, shrill highs and a totally imbalanced frequency response plus phase issues. Many HP amps have output impedance as high a a few hundred ohms! Works for your old phones from yesteryear, but not your IEMs.

It's possible I am way off for your situation, but for me, it's a fact. There is lots of info about it on the web.

Anyway, I hope it helps or if not, at least informative,
    Mark