Posts by KPmole

Yes. With the merged profile and the cabinet off, you're using a direct profile of the amp and it is the most accurate amp profile with the cab off.

When you turn the cabinet off on a studio profile (as mentioned above by paults) the Kemper makes an approximation of what part of the profile is the cabinet is. Honestly, it's fairly close to perfect, but NEVER 100%. It will always sound different than the direct profile with no cabinet, in my opinion.

Now where it gets really interesting is when you play a merged profile with the cabinet 'on' through full range speakers or direct to recording. The merged profile is created by copying the cabinet module from a studio profile (and using Kemper's software approximation to decide what part to copy) and then pasting it to a direct profile and combining both. The merged profiles can be great for live use, but won't ever sound as good as a pure studio profile in my opinion. Again, the algorithm used by Kemper to approximate the cab is close to perfect, but not 100%, so the merged profile (direct profile plus cabinet) never sounds quite the same as the original studio profile in which the merged profile was created from.

So to answer your question again, yes, there's a difference.

For the most accurate profile without a cabinet module (to be played through a guitar cabinet with a clean power amp), use a direct profile or a merged profile with the cabinet off.

I haven't tried modeling the "Normal" channel, but even if I did, it sounds different, and that's not the sound I'm trying to profile.

Yes, EXACTLY. That being said, I bet you could model the "Normal" channel, no problem.

It's odd that there's not much discussion on this on the forums. I mean, clearly, if you can't profile a Fender Twin/DR/SR/Vibroverb directly, it seems like a pretty big issue.

I see you replied to my thread. I'm having the same problem with my Deluxe Reverb.

Are you creating the profile of the Reverb channel? Try profiling the other channel of the amp, and I bet it turns out fine. That isn't a solution, however, as the Reverb channels of these amps sound better than the other channel, even with Reverb and Vibrato turned completely off.

I think the issue might have something to do with the reverb/vibrato channel of those amps.

I can make a direct profile of my Deluxe Reverb on the non-rev/vib channel, and it sounds perfect. The other channel sounds like there's a fuzz pedal attached...and this is with Vibrato and Reverb turned off with the pedal and both controls on zero.

I 'think' the output of the reverb channel is out of phase with the input. Maybe that could be throwing off the profiler and causing distorted results?

This is frustrating, because the reverb channel (even with reverb completely off) sounds the best, and is the input that I always play through when using that amp.

I found a list of what the GTR Sweetened offsets are supposed to be (these are apparently some super-secret copyrighted patented offsets) and they're a little bit different that what you listed (B and G don't have an offset for instance)...which illustrates my point; it's a very small offset in pitch that can easily be swayed by how hard you hit the string, etc. I don't think you can accurately determine the offset by tuning with guitar on the Peterson, then comparing. You'd need to use a sine generator, or something with a fixed pitch.

That being said, it STILL would be nice to be able to plug in a preset with 'sweetened' offsets, so you can tune to zero and forget about it. I find that the sweetened tuning does help my intonation on chords sound much nicer.

It would be great to be able to preset some tuning offsets. That being said, the +/- 2 cents of the Peterson "sweetened" tuning is a very small change in pitch. You can still tune with the Kemper and get good results.

I like that the rings on the Kemper strobe tuner move independently. Now Peterson has frozen them on the Strobostomp (they're locked together in position), and I prefer the display of the Kemper over the new HD tuner.

Ugggh.....since no replies, I'll reply to myself with an update:

I created a direct profile of my Bandmaster today, using the same Kemper Direct Box and wiring scheme as described above. The results were fantastic (as expected). The direct profile played through a cabinet sounds like the original amp.

After that I plugged in the Deluxe Reverb again, and made another attempt to make a direct profile with the same results as before...the direct profile is distorted, like I'm running a fuzz pedal. The puzzling thing, is that when I compare the "kemper amp" to the "reference amp", the reference amp sounds great...so I don't believe I'm overdriving the Kemper Return Input or anything. I even tried using a different speaker, thinking that there might be some strange reaction with the 1x12 in my DR cabinet, and the results were exactly the same. Also, the amp was dry (no reverb) in case someone might think that the distortion is caused by me profiling a reverb signal.

Is it possible that the Kemper can't make a direct profile of a Deluxe Reverb for some unknown reason? This is a real deal breaker for me, as I simply want to be able to create merged profiles of my amp collection, and switch between them at will on the Kemper for practice, performance, and recording.

I think it might be time to contact customer support....

Is this with all guitars you use? You can always shield the guitar, and ensure that you have ground connection to the bridge. Also, buzz from lights or other sources can be managed by proximity and angle. Sometimes seating position can minimize it. Lastly, single coil pickups are going to buzz and hum; it's impossible to eliminate it completely.

HELP!!!!

I've been trying to create a direct profile of my Deluxe Reverb. Volume is on 4 (not really distorted, mostly clean).

My profile chain is as follows; guitar plugged into KP front input, KP direct output/send to guitar amp input, amplifier speaker out to 'from amplifier' input on KP direct box, KP direct box 'to cabinet' connected to guitar amp speaker, KP direct box 'to profiler input' connected to return input of KP.

I'm creating a distorted profile, cabinet off selected.

I can monitor the direct amp sound while playing by the output through my external amp/4x12 cabinet turned up louder than the amp that I'm direct profiling. This isn't an ideal configuration...and honestly I SHOULDN'T have to even monitor at all since it's a direct profile, but since my profiles are turning out bad, I wanted to compare the direct sound before profiling. The direct amp sound through the kemper and to my power amp/4x12 is nearly identical to (surprise) the direct amp.

Here's the problem...I create a direct profile of my amp, and when I play it, the sound is as if the input to the KP has been overdriven or if I have a fuzz pedal in my signal chain. I can (as said in the last paragraph) monitor the direct amp input from the KP direct box, and it sounds undistorted with proper levels before I create the profile. The profile is always distorted and overdriven.

Any help sorting this out would be GREATLY appreciated!!

-Thanks in advance!

Initial impression is one of complete satisfaction! I got 2 Kones, put them in a 2x12 Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet straight cab. It replace 2 F12-X200 which sounded great. These may actually be the "amp in the room" experience that everyone misses using FRFR. The Imprint collection does have a lot of variety. While my initial gripe about the Kones impedance still stands, (I'll either have to send my Camplifier to Germany to be modded to drive a 4 ohm load or sell it to someone with the F12-X200's) I had an old Rocktron Velocity 150 in the basement. That thing will out live me! It drives 75W/ch into 4 ohms. I keep the Reactance knob full CCW for no effect and this thing sounds BIG!

Even with all my bitch'n, well done Kris, well done!!

Did you try the imprints on the F12-X200's before you pulled them? I'm just wondering how different the Kone and the F12-X200s are (aside from impedance).

Err....nevermind...I just read your other post about imprints sounding harsh through the F12-X200s. With that in mind, I think I'll stick with traditional speaker cabinets and direct profiles for the time being. I don't want to buy a new amp to support the Kone's 4 ohm impedance, and I'm not willing to buy two without hearing how they sound first (which is highly unlikely to ever happen).

I just picked up an Orange Pedal Baby 100. So far, I really like the combination of Kemper (output with the rig cabinet turned off) through my Marshall 4x12 with 25W greenback Celestions.

Are they vintage 25W Celestions? If they're in good shape, a 4x12 with greenbacks 'should' be able to handle (and I believe it's rated for 100w). FWIW, I gigged with a 50W Marshall for several years w/ a 1x12 cabinet and a 25W Celestion, and often times dimed it with no problems. I also profiled my 100W Marshall through my 4x12 with a mix of vintage and reissue Celestions...and again no issue (and the amp was on 10).

Your mileage may vary depending on how much your amp is putting out and the condition of your speakers....so proceed with caution and at your own risk!!

That being said, I've never personally had an issue cranking my 100 through a 4x12, and think it would be unlikely to cause any damage for the short time it takes to profile. You also get a different sound than you would with two 4x12 cabinets, because with a single cabinet, the speakers are driven harder and have more cone breakup, which is desirable to my ears.

I'm using type 1 and it works fine.

The resistor can be on the pot, on the jack, or anywhere in between (in the middle of the wire like you have it). It doesn't matter where it's at...we're not talking about grid resistors on a tube amp! The benefit to relocating the resistor to the pot or jack, is that you don't need to worry as much about it touching the case and grounding out...but that's not a concern if you insulate it with electrical tape or shrink wrap.

I'm of the opinion that both the wah, and the OP's attitude needs to be tweaked.

When I first bought my Kemper, I was surprised to discover that the wah did indeed sound like total crap. After tweaking it with the suggestions on this forum, I'm happy with it. It's not 100% as great as my two wah wah pedals, but it gets you about 90% of the way, and sounds better or equal to a lot of the off the shelf wah wah pedals. I prefer to use it out of convenience and lack of noise. The Kemper wah doesn't pick up radio signals.

Honestly, I LOVE my Kemper. It's really one of the greatest music gear purchases I've ever made...but to be clear, to my ears, it really does sound like crap out of the box. I'm not a fan of the majority of the profiles or effects presets that are included. When you tweak the effects and create your own amp profiles, it can sound amazing. My only real disappointment with the Kemper is the factory presets.

That being said, if you're patient (usually takes more than 8 hours to get a detailed response) it's almost always possible to get any question answered, or any help that is needed on this forum.