Posts by KPmole

Thank YOU for the feedback old crow!

FWIW, the full volume profile is very dirty sounding...but that's the way the amp sounds!

The back-story on the amp, is that I bought it in the late 80's at a time when tweed amps weren't particularly popular. The store where I bought it specialized in vintage gear, and at the time (for whatever reason) they actually had three tweed tremoluxes. I tried them out (they all sounded good) and one really stood out from the others. It was considerably more distorted at full volume, and had more sustain and compression, with a really percussive snappy attack. It was noticeably different from the other two which were cleaner sounding and more what you'd expect from a vintage tweed amp. I went to get a down payment from the teller machine, and when I arrived back at the store, the owner said he was hoping that I didn't come back...I could see that he had played around w/ the amps when I was gone and I believe he decided that it was a keeper after realizing how different it sounded from the others. Fortunately, he honored the terms of sale and a month later I paid it off ($400 total...I wish they were that price now!) and took it home.

Later I discovered the reason it sounded different was because the 55' circuit WAS different from the newer 56+ tweed Tremoluxes and had more breakup. There's also a good amount of speaker breakup with the original Jensen. It cleans up reasonably well by rolling back the volume on your guitar, and the half volume (volume on 6) profile I uploaded is a little bit cleaner than full volume example.

Hopefully some of you can find some use with the profiles and enjoy the amp as much as I do.

Author CRUNCHGUITAR. They're uploaded! "$55 Tremo 1/2 volume" and "55' Tremo Full Volume".

I obviously haven't mastered Rig Manager yet...my label updates didn't all get saved (reason for the $ and different cabinet names) but the profiles are there.

Does it need to be specifically a "Champ"? ....and are you looking for clean, distorted, or edge of breakup sounds?

The way I usually play a tweed amp, is with all controls dimed, then I use the volume on my guitar and touch sensitivity to alter the dirt, and the tone controls or pickup selector on the guitar to tweak the tone.

I just profiled my 1955 Tremolux (original speaker, transformers, etc) at full and half volume through a 1073 preamp and an Oktava 319 mic, and could try to upload the profiles if you're interested (I haven't made any uploads yet, so I've got to figure out how).

The '55 Tremolux is the first model, and is dirtier (think tweed Deluxe) than the newer ones due to the design being a little different. It might be too dirty for you at full volume, but at half volume it's really touch sensitive and at either setting you can roll back the volume on your guitar and get a pretty cool edge of breakup tone that could be useful for jazz/blues.

Whether you like the tone will be up to your ears, but I can guarantee you that the profile sounds like the amp (warts and all) and has a healthy amount of speaker breakup and character as you'd expect from a 60+ year old original.