Posts by houseofglass21

Many people get a Kemper and just think it will sound perfect right away. But there are definitely some adjustments that should be given consideration to get the most out of the unit. All the tools to get a great sound are available in the Kemper. You just have to know to use them and know how to use them.

-Adjust the Low and High filters in the Output Menu. This is a must. With them off the Kemper is extremely bassy and everything will sound bad. No amount of ‘in-profile’ eq’ing will get rid of that mud until you adjust these filters. Looking at my unit, I have Low Cut set to 159.4 Hz and High Cut at 21689.1 Hz, some people like to adjust the low cut around 80 Hz. Just experiment, but this is a good starting point.

-The ‘Definition’ control is the most important control for a profile in my opinion. Think of it as a pre-gain Bass control. Lower settings with be thick and flubby sounding. It can work well for lower gain and clean profiles, but for higher gain I think somewhere between 6-10 is the sweet spot. If you use a profile and find it too bassy or too thin, check this setting and adjust accordingly. With some profiles this being set high to 10.0 will result in a clangy high end and ‘cocked-wah’ type sound. I also check profiles to see if ‘Clarity’ is on. I don’t like high settings of that control. Best used in moderation between 0.0-1.5. With ‘Clarity’ off there are more highs, with it on slightly is seems to smooth out the high end a bit.

-Output EQ’s. Don’t be afraid to adjust these. For ‘Main Output’ it’s best to set up your live sounds through a PA/headphones. If you find you need more/less lows or highs you can make the final adjustments here without having to re-EQ all your patches. For ‘Monitor Output EQ’ with ‘Monitor Cab Off’ running into a guitar cab with a power amp, I use this EQ to tweak my power amp voicing. Some of the small solid state pedal power amp options need some extra EQ help, some are dull in the high end or have an inherent mid-spike. You can use this to get that overall voicing where you want.

-Monitor Cab Off. With a guitar cab you want this setting checked so you don’t get cab sim through your cab. But one interesting thing I find is that whatever cab I have selected still slightly affects the Monitor Out sound in a guitar cab. If you have a muddy IR or cab selected it will affect your Monitor out in a bad way. Once I found the perfect cab for my main high gain patch with headphones on, I was floored by how good it sounded through my guitar cab also. I noticed when I changed the cab to something else I could hear the effect it was having, especially on the high end of the profile, through my guitar cab. Strange, but worth noting.

Thank you. Yeah, as long as the length of delay is user configurable I think this would be a great feature. For live use it would remove the concern that you’re going to accidentally end up in a different bank unintentionally. With singing and playing guitar at the same time it’s hard for me to always accurately step in the exact spot. I find myself getting into other banks time and time again.

What’s great is this would still retain the functionality of the bank switches. It just would stop them switching inadvertently. I hate the idea of having to use a cable tie and rendering them useless.

I use a Kemper Stage and have had an issue live where I inadvertently switch to a different bank without realizing it. It’s very hard to be trying to sing and also trying to get back to where you should be on the unit.

I would like to propose that a feature be added so that there is a ‘bank delay’ where the bank footswitches don’t switch banks for a period of 2-5 seconds when the Footswitch is held. This length could be determined in a menu setting depending on the users needs.

This would eliminate the need to physically restrain these footswitches with a cable tie (et al) like some users have done while still retaining the complete functionality of the bank switches. I’m aware that you can select a new to bank to be ‘pending’ but that doesn’t fix the issue for me. I don’t want to be going to a different bank unless absolutely intentional. Having to hold a bank button for a few seconds in between a song would not be an inconvenience.

Thanks!

I’d imagine a Fender tonestack would work for a Mesa Mark profile since most of them are based on that. The actual graphic eq would have to just be added as a post amp effect. I wish Kemper would add a ‘Cali 5 Band Graphic EQ’ like the Helix has with the right frequencies.

I’ve seen this issue mentioned before but haven’t seen what the fix or issue is. Any time I use the Kemper fx loop with any device that is adding gain stages (distortion pedal or guitar preamp) there is an extremely loud amount of his added to the signal. Far more than these devices add in front of a regular guitar amp or with a power amp.

I’ve tried adjusting the Clean Sense and the Loop Level, using different cables etc. Nothing gets rid of it. I have the loop in the Stomp slots I should add. I have not tried it in the X slot because for my uses that is not where I want the loop positioned.

Has anyone figured this out? It essentially renders the loop useless. You can add a noise gate and get rid of the idle hiss but anytime you strike a chord and the gate opens you hear the hiss.

For me the low pass filter is a must. I use a Kemper Power Rack and it’s far too bassy through a guitar cab unless I low pass at around 150-160. I also use the monitor output eq to bump up the highs as the power amp is on the darker side. Definitely make use of these to get it where you want.

I have no issue with the Kemper interface. It’s easy to use and most of the deeper menu settings are set and forget. I think people maybe want fancy colorful cartoony looking touchscreens. That’s cool too I guess but for me the UI is fine and I set it and forget it and get down to playing. Once I’ve got my main rig settings down I’m usually just tweaking the amp itself or various fx parameters and it’s easy to do as it is.

I would recommend profiling your own amps if possible. I recently did some direct profiles of heads I own and tbh I like them better than most other profiles I’ve tried because they sound pretty much identical to the real amps that I already liked. And they sound equally good thru a cab and through the main out with a cab sim.

I’ve sometimes experienced the same with my power rack into a guitar cab. It’s really just profile dependent. There are some great free profiles and some not so great pro ones. It’s a bit of a crapshoot. I have heard people mention that profiles tend to sound similar in this setting since your speakers are the same for each profile.

Ok thanks, I figured out after looking at the diagram. I needed to be have guitar plugged into the Kemper and then the direct out to input of my Orange and then the Orange into the DI out to the cab and XLR back into the Kemper. Made a profile of my Orange and it's nuts, totally indistinguishable from the real amp.

Hi. I have a powered Kemper and the Kemper DI box. Can someone give me a quick run down of how to set things up to make a DI profile? I tried doing a direct profile of one of my Orange TH100 head tonight and couldn’t get it working.

I had the speaker output of the Orange head going into the “From amplifier”, “To cabinet” going to the cab and the XLR going into the Return Input on the back of the Kemper. Guitar was plugged into the input of the Orange. Does it need to be plugged into the Kemper instead? Pretty sure I’m hooking things up wrong somehow and could use some guidance.

Thanks for the help

Thanks, that's how I've understood it. But my issue is that I notice a very distinct difference in the way it sounds with the cab light off versus with it on. To me I don't find the sound as usable through a cab with the cab light on, it still sounds colored by the cab sim even with 'monitor cab off' checked. When I turn the cab button off, the sound is purer and brighter to me, much more presence. Why that is happening is what I'm not really understanding.