Posts by JoeNapo

I want to apologize if it sounded like I was looking for a problem. I should have phrased my question better. Based on Burkhard's response I can expect that after performing the upgrade that all previous performances that made use of Legacy Reverbs will still be present. The Reverb settings in the performances will be updated with the new representation of the legacy Reverbs in the updated software.

Thank you for the clarification.

I have not updated my Kemper to the new software because I am concerned about loosing the presets that are already present in the unit.

The Reverbs have been updated and the legacy reverbs have been consolidated into one reverb named Legacy Reverb. The addition of the Room Size corresponds to the old name. Is it an easy translation as the Room Size is named the same as the Legacy Reverb as it showed up in the past software? If not is there a cross reference that provides the old name and then the new setting that accomplishes the same as the old?

Also when I do the update what is the best set of steps to maintain the current performances that I have in the unit?

If you just point me to prior threads that answered these questions that would be perfectly fine.

Thanks

I purchased the Dunlop DVP 3 Volume pedal. Got my TRS cable and connected it to Pedal 3 of the remote. Opened the System Page to Pedal 3. Pedal 3 is set to Volume, Pedal Type is 1. Now for calibrate. My calibration does not seem to work as described in the manual. I press the calibrate button and it shows nothing, as soon as I move the pedal the display returns to the Browse view. The pedal seem to work correctly but I got the impression that I would have to move the pedal the full range for the calibration to be correct. If I come into the Pedal 3 system page and do not press the calibrate button and move the pedal the area below the calibrate seems to track as you would expect with where the pedal is in the travel.

Is the pedal working as expected? Is this the groups experience with the pedal?

Thanks

I sat down with one of the Electrical Engineers that I work with. He explained the practical information around this concern. Kemper when they designed the power section that is used to provide power to the Remote intended it to be used with the Cable provided. The Kemper cable is 22 AWG wire. This wire is larger than traditional ethernet cable which is normally 24 or 26. (The larger the number the smaller the diameter of the cable.) The smaller wire results in more resistance to the flow of energy on the wire. Therefore, if you use a standard ethernet wire of the same length as the kemper wire it is possible that you could experience problems with the remote. This would be due to insufficient power making it down the wire to the device because of the additional resistance of the wire. Kemper calculated the resistance of their wire and designed the power supply in the KPA to deliver the power over the 22 AWG wire. If you substitute the cable you are changing the resistance in the equation and you likely will get unexpected behavior.

The use of a POE (Power Over Ethernet) allows you to overcome the problem. The POE has its own power source which has been designed to provide the power over long run with the higher resistance wire. The power source on the POE is designed to be able to deliver the power over the long distance. You can then make use of standard ethernet cables for your long runs. I believe the POE specification indicates that you can connect a device up to 100 to 150 feet away.

I hope this helped. My comments here do not in any way intend to question anything that Kemper has done with the design of the Remote Interface. They designed the product according to their specifications and the product works as they intended. If we choose to use cables and distances that they did not intend then the problem ownership is our own not theirs.

The issue here is not likely a voltage issue but an amperage issue. The cable you are using likely has very thin wire in it. The electrical properties change as the cable thickness increases allow the cable to deliver more power to the device over the length. For the 6 meter length this generally should not be a problem. I would check out another cable manufacturer. If you want to go long (over ~30 meters) this is were Kemper has indicated you can get into trouble. The heavier cable is the solution. A standard ethernet cable is likely awg 24. The kemper cable is awg 22( the lower the value the thicker the wire). If you have a High flex cable it is likely awg 26. If you want to go long using a thinner wire the POE injector is the proper solution. The kemper pedal is an Ethernet device. The circuitry used by the communications logic appears to support the specs for the POE based on posts by others on the forum. If you have questions let the forum know. For the POE information just search the forum.

I use a small Gator case. I have a piece of foam to adjust the width of the pedal n the case. The case is long enough to hold the KPA Pedal and one expression pedal. The front of the case has a national center zipper pouch for cables.

keep in mind that when you gig with a sound man you are in the situation where you provide them with the best sound you can. Once it leaves your end it is up to the sound guy. They need to mix your sound with everything else that they are getting. Be prepared for the realization that what the audience hears may not be what you expect because the sound guy equalized your signal to fit in the mix. I love the sound of a 4 12 cab with plenty of bottom end. But the sound guy may go d that that type of sound conflicts with the bass guitar and therefore he equalized the low end thump out of the guitar signal.

Get the best you can to start with. Send off to the house and then rely on the sound tech. You hired them to make th e band sound good. You are.going to have to trust them.

I have found that there are situations where the Kemper is the thing to do and then others where my Boogie Mark III combo is the only thing that makes sense. I also have given up selling gear. You purchased it for a reason if you do not need that cash keep it. The reason so resurface.

I have a pair of 85 vintage EV speakers for my MK III Boogie. They sound great. One is in the combo and the other in a Thiele port cabinet. Be warned they are not light. Some of the heaviest speakers on the market. I have not tried the Thiele with the Kemper yet. I am relatively new to the Kemper world. Not enough time in the day to balance the guitar with the daily job. Right now I am playing in the pit for a High School production of Mamma Mia. Using Kemper into a powered JBL monitor. This setup goes into the Ok category. I feel it is fine for the clean profiles, however the current low end is missing. The over driven profiles seem to be harsh in the high end and no bass response is repeated. It is a work in progress. Ultimately the Kemper is headed to use in worship space with a Clair Brothers sound system in full stereo and IEM. Just have not had the time to get everything setup for worship space.

I am new to harmonizer technology . In the past when I attempted to use one I was not very successful. I believe that was a result of two contributing factors. To some extent the technology at the time, however, my major limitation was the music theory necessary to be able to properly employ the capability.

Does anyone here have a recommendation on a good reference on scale modes? I would like to employ the capability in the Kemper but at this time being able to converse in the correct terms is holding me back.

Thanks