Posts by Preacher

Imo, that's genius and should be elevated above mere thought-level.

It's almost as if part of me wants to incline you to keep expressing that thought everywhere on the forums and on FB. It would be a huge leap, or possibly a feature for a future Kemper 2, but it's a simple yet genius idea that we should ensure is out there for the people that be.

I currently only have one, but have been thinking about getting a second one lately. I have the unpowered rack version, and have it in a rack with a Helix. I run my guitar into a pedalboard which goes into the Helix, out to the Kemper, back into the Helix, out to a tray of Strymon pedals, then back into the Helix a last time and to output. I want to get another rack Kemper so I can run two different amps at once and pan them left and right for a fat, fat stereo sound. Imagine then running that through a Mimiq. Oh lord, it'll sound like a whole band camp!

Then further down the line, I want to get a power amp like the Powerstage 700 and two 2x12 cabs. I bet it'll sound like there's a million guitars, everywhere.

It may sound like I'm joking or just being plain silly but I'm actually dead serious. I have two Powecab Plus', I want to place those on top of the 2x12s and use them as wet speakers in a W/D/W setup with all of this behind it. That'll probably sound like around 1,5-2 million guitars or more, all the way to Mars. Still not kidding.

I just realized that "Kemper Kone" and "Kemper Kabinet" probably weren't just typos, but rather, the baby steps of a new trademark in the making. When can we expect to see "The Kempressor" in the effects list? :D

That is all, thanks for an amazing product, and have a nice day! :)

Edit: Cristoph (god) damn it, this wasn't supposed to go in the support forum, my bad!

One noteworthy thing I noticed about the alt input is that it's rated at 825k ohm vs the 1M front input. Not sure what that implies, but doesn't lower input impedance darken the sound of the guitar? Anyway, that's neither here nor there, your logic seems right. There should've been a difference in levels indeed so that's out of the window then.

I stumbled over an old forum post that was a couple of years old, where a user said something along the lines of "the alternative (back) input is designed for line level signals". I kept searching and ended up finding a few more posts from different threads that all stated the same. I already know that the front input expects an instrument level signal. If that's true, this could possibly be a solution to a problem I am having, so I was excited. I am at work so I went to check the manual to confirm and there is nothing in the manual about what specific signal level the inputs are designed for. The manual only states that the alternative input can be noisier.

So were they just blowing smoke or has someone official confirmed that indeed the front input is for instrument level and the back input is for line level?

maybe I don't get it correctly (in case excuse me!)...but you would sell the kemper because you don't retrieve a math info or something similar involving numbers? :)

No :P

I just realized something. The TS output is +16dB. If you happened to simply subtract the output pad from that number (-12dB) you land at..... +4dBu. Pro line level. XLR is 22dBu, if you subtract the 12dB you land at +10dBu.... A slightly hotter, balanced line level. This all fits what people have been talking about earlier in the thread, leading me to think you can actually just do it like that. I mean, considering my track record I'm probably wrong, but it's a funny coincidence at the very least. In any case you have to actually activate the output pad to be at "baseline" line level. Alright, I'm not mad or anything lol, but that wasn't obvious to me in any way. I don't gig but Isn't this a problem when trying to feed a stage mixer? It seems more intuitive to me if it worked the other way around - the output being regular line level at default settings but having a toggleable "output volume boost" in the settings. Anyway, I am running the main outs into the FX return of a Helix and I've been having so much trouble taming the signal, having to apply gain cuts in several places of my chain to compensate. I knew the pad existed, so yeah, I dunno why I wasn't using it, maybe because I got caught up in trying to maintain unity gain at an earlier point, and not thinking critically. This thread was mostly created to just put my experience out there, say, if anybody else were silently struggling to wrap their head around what's causing their frustrations :)

Lol, so I should read better and/or check the most obvious place on earth before making a thread next time. I'll take note :)

Thanks for the info though, I now know what I must do! :)

SELL THE KEMPER!!!

Sike

Does anyone know what the output is with the 12dB pad on? I know enough to know you don't just subtract the number from the +16dBu, but beyond that I'm not knowledgable about the maths involved. Is there anyone that simply knows or has a gefühl that care to just tell me what the answer is? :saint:

Wheresthedug i dont know if you remember but i was the guy that made a thread a few months ago about whether someone had tried the Kemper with a Prorack and what their experience were. I knew less at the time and have now come around again ? but yeah, I am intrigued. To me it really sounds like there is some digital magic going on. I know sound reduction plugins let you select parts of the start of a recorded track and make a "profile" of the noise floor, then when you apply the filter to the whole track the noise just magically disappears. The Kemper feature behaves really similarly. If you set it to 0 and the gradually raise it until it starts to audibly reduce the background noise, the "artifacts" you hear when it is kinda half-working sounds a lot like digital artefacts to me. Very unnatural, not like any gate I've ever experienced. I could be wrong, of course.

Yes, that one. Can't watch the video, at work, but will check later. I am aware of those but was under the impression they're just gates. Maybe it gets talked about in the video, but if not; how is this different to a gate, how does it work? Is there a digital element to these?

I was reading this old thread:

Output Volume - HOT HOT HOT

Why was this closed? Seemed like a good debate was developing and it was interesting, then it cuts short. Poor guy apparently never got a straight answer lol.

I'm running a multi-device rig and am trying to set levels between devices to keep SNR low and it's been a long journey. What's being stated in this thread, if true, should be in the manual. Maybe it is, it's been a while since I read it. But they're saying that if you reduce the main volume by a certain amount you are at pro line level, and that at max master volume, the kemper outputs a signal that's hotter than "pro" line. That would explain a lot of the problems I've been experiencing further down the signal chain, I assumed 100% volume meant +4dBu line level. It apparently does not?

Hey. Kemper owner here. So, after a period of messing about, I've come to understand that this Kemper feature is actually really good. I just read an old thread from this forum while searching for info about a separate issue, and someone in that thread wouldn't use the noise reduction because they thought it worked like a simple gate. I know better, but it caught my attention because, like me, the person didn't fancy gates much. Neither do I, so I kept on reading. Someone told the guy "it's not just a gate" and the OP was like "well what is it then?" to which the guy replied "it's more like multiband compression".

I have little experience with using multiband compression to reduce noise, so I don't know the specifics of how that works, so question 1) anyone care to enlighten me? And to my ears, the way it works actually sounds more like a digital noise removal plugin. With gates I often experience hiss while the guitar is ringing, so the gate effectively only takes away audible hiss while you're not playing. Then you hear the noise floor kinda blend in with the guitar signal the moment you play a string, and then it fades out to dead silence when the guitar string stops moving. To my ears, the contrast makes the noise floor more audible. Kinda similar to how you'll spot something moving long before you spot something that's static and blending in. The Kemper noise remover doesn't have this drawback. At the correct setting it removes hiss indefinitely, without affecting tone. It's really good for what it does. So here's to that :thumbup: Question 2: has there ever been any word on specifically what it does? If it's multiband compression, it can't be just that? They have five knobs and a limited amount of settings, so if that's like an established practice I'm sure it would be a more common thing, but it's the first time I've ever heard about compressors being used for noise reduction. Obviously the answer could simply just be that the guy is wrong. Because if noise reduction by compression was that good, why do gates even still exist? Why are there tons of noise reduction gate pedals but no noise reduction multiband compression pedals? Or is that how the ProRack, G-string and Hush works?

However they do it, it's so, so good. Kemper could make a simple stomp pedal out of it and it would be a great pedal to put in say the FX loop of a noisy amp, or between amp and cab. It really blows any noise gate out of the water.

I guess this will make 6.0
    Since we are at beta 5.7, i doubt this is near release.

There's nothing to say the 5.7 beta has to be followed by a 5.7 release, as proven by the 5.6 beta (spring reverbs) which never saw a full release. It's just been hanging there as a beta patch since before summer NAMM (iirc) and now we're on 5.7 apparently. I think the last patch released was 5.5.

Also, who is Ingolf? I seem to think he has something to do with Kemper, am I off? He teased over on TGP to some dude talking about still not having removed his H9 from his board and Ingolf said something like "no need to hurry, you will ;)" so unless I'm off about Ingolf that got me thinking they're maybe doing something with modulation effects?

Guys, tell you what. I also own a Helix. They just released an update a while ago which had two big features. One was a Marketplace, which was basically a webshop for presets, and the other was an update to the tuner, which a lot of people were having trouble with. I was not one of them though, and I didn't have use of the marketplace, so the update was basically nothing to me. That was the first update in about half a year, and it's been a few months. I'm hoping there's an update coming for the Helix too around NAMM.

I only bring this up to make the point that I don't only come to this thread frequently, I also go to a thread on another forum for another device frequently. I'm only one person but it feels like twice the waiting. FML, you know?

But I also have been feeling a lot less frustrated since I got a BigSky. My big hope now is that the Kemper reverb update has some kind of quality to it that juxtaposes it to the BigSky. Like, I'm hoping it won't just double up for some of the BigSky reverbs.

If I come off as unthankful, let it be said that even if they announce that they are going out of business, I will still rub my Kemper against my crotch every evening for the rest of my life regardless.

I don't agree that World of Warcraft is a good comparison. They have a different set of challenges: low switching cost, multiple platforms, younger customers, etc.

Kemper is more like Nintendo in that scenario.

Haha, well, I didn't mean WoW is a good comparison, but a software in general. I agree Nintendo is even better, or iPhones.

Still, paint the picture. How does the blog post stating that next firmware update will have these three big features in it lead to a huge decline in sales?

I mean, I get the obvious case of "they announce a feature that doesn't make it that a lot of people got very excited about". So don't announce the biggest feature. Or don't actually announce the feature, tease around it. Or talk about some other feature. I mean, this problem can be mitigated by skills and cojones.

I don't agree with the sentiments being shared in this thread. I just happened to quote your post, but this isn't a response to you specifically.

This idea that communication is bad makes no sense. I used to play a LOT of World of Warcraft when that came out in its day. Yeah yeah, whatever, but here's my point: In the gaming world, you have huge companies making products that receive updates throughout their lifespan. In many ways, that's a very comparable business model to what Kemper are doing. So, in that world particularly, like every lead programmer has a forum account, a facebook page, a twitter page, and so forth. There is a constant dialogue between the manufacturer and the customers, like, all the time. That model seems to work perfectly fine for those companies and in that business so that's basically empirical proof that you can definitely be open and still make billions. BILLIONS. The factor that is instrumental in success or failure doesn't seem to be related to secrecy or lack thereof. Dialogue is a social game, and most people are bad at it. Open communication is a higher stakes game, so bigger risk, bigger payoff.

I mean, paint me a picture. Kemper shares what the features of the next firmware will be. What's the worst case scenario? A feature doesn't make it. Are you implying that will cause people to sell their Kempers? That's not a loss for Kemper anyhow. Are you suggesting that new customers who are looking at Kemper, will look at that one feature that wasn't included in the most recent patch, and decide "this product is not for me" on that basis? I mean, either you want to profile all your amps, or you don't.... I just don't see how having one blog post every four months with a quarterly update of what's being worked on would do any harm. I'm not saying I demand it or even think I deserve it, so spare me the lectures, but for the sake of the discussion of the idea itself, I'm not seeing the problem.

I mean, the "higher risk, higher payoff" point is a fair argument to just go for the safe, keep our mouths shut-route. It's a feasible model. It's like a preference more than a truth. Some companies have made it their forté to give their customers insight into how they run shit. It's like the difference between picking your own lobster and just getting a dead one on your plate. It only makes a difference to the fool. I'd prefer to know stuff and be upset about what I know, rather than having to be frustrated about the unknown, but that's down to my genetics and YMMV.

a direct amp profile still includes the power amp section of the profiled amp-its just the cab and microphone that are not included in a direct amp profile. If you want to amplify a PROFILER it is best to use a digital or solid state amp.

If you use a line output, but if you take the direct profile from the FX send of the amp? Then you are capturing the signal before it goes into the power amp. This is the kind of direct profile I would try to use with a tube power amp. I've been having a discourse about this topic on the Facebook group today and I'm pretty convinced I'm onto a good idea. Worst case I'll buy one, sell it and lose a little bit of money. But I think this could be cool to try. A preamp-only profile into a tube power amp and then an IR made using a clean and transparent solid-state amp, or an actual guitar cabinet. If I find a tube power amp with stereo line-out like the Seymour Duncan powerstage has, I could send the same signal to FOH too. I'm doing this yo!