Posts by audiomitch

Damn Mitch, that was a brilliant composition and execution.
    You're gonna have to hire a lawyer if you keep that up

LOL thanks Muddy! No lawyers for me, I'm like an old guy building tiny ships in bottles ;) Also, it's a little old fashioned for all the youngsters these days.

But thanks!! I'm still not sure if it's a final mix, have to let it sit for a while.

I try to switch to 4/4 or even 7/8 and it just grinds. New clutch?

Anyhow, here's a new one in 5/4. No reamp on this one, it started with the KPA. The main delay guitar profile is the free ToneJunkies ACE 30 B4 Edge.

Thanks for listening!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If you're reamping through S/PDIF, it's possible you have a sample rate mismatch between the KPA and your interface and/or session. I haven't used Logic in a long time, but if your interface is syncing to the KPA, it's possible that Logic is trying to adjust the sample rate to what it thinks is the correct one.

Different sample rates are new in the KPA, so it may just be at the wrong default? Worth a look, anyway.

Public Service Announcement: my new Grab n Go Pack is now available on mbritt.com

Hi Mike,

Bought this pack this morning, already used the Roland JC50 in a song I'm working on. Any chance of getting more Roland profiles?

Haven't played extensively with everything else yet, but sounds great so far!

Thanks!

Is it something wrong with recording in stereo then pan it out on one side in the mix afterwards? Is this then the same as recording in mono and pan out? If no stereo fx is used ofc.

Not sure why you would record a stereo track if you already know you are going to mix it in mono. I tend to record in mono and change to stereo if I apply a stereo effect (as mentioned in a previous post).

Recording in stereo for a mono track is a waste of bandwidth and could possibly introduce some phasing issues when summed to mono. Not likely, but possible. Plus it makes for more confusion during the mixing stage. YMMV

Couldn't agree more but it seems like the suggestions of an ENG style field audio engineer is more popular than my suggestions based on 30 years of experience in studio environments (from home studios to large scale studios). :)

My post was honestly just meant as an addition to the conversation, not as a rebuttal or challenge. It's cheap enough to try, and it sounds like the OP is trying to convert a living space (with consideration to the wife) in to a useable music production space. Buy the blankets, and if it doesn't work out take them back! Probably the cheapest and most easily removed solution.

As far as making the room too dull, the beauty of the "system" is that you can raise or lower, move closer or further, double up or single, etc.

Trust me, it's not going to turn the room in to a anechoic chamber ;)

And finally, don't diss ENG style field audio engineers! My most terrifying moments in my life were as a field engineer. When you're interviewing Clint Eastwood, or Jack Nicklaus, or President Clinton, or have high dollars riding on YOU getting the sound, there is just no such thing as failure. And usually in the worst possible conditions for technology and/or audio!

I think I was scarred for life from too many years of that.

Peace - honestly not trying to start anything, just sharing some of my experience.

for the REAL low tech, get some moving blankets from a hardware store. Build walls with sturdy mic stands with the blankets draped and clamped to them. Place where you need them.

This is NOT soundproofing, but will dull the roar and give you some room attenuation for your near field monitoring.

I worked as a field engineer for an ENG style video crew, back when they actually had a budget to hire a crew. We used this technique for the famous and non-famous alike for interviews or other dialog. We used C Stands which are MUCH sturdier than mic stands, but if you're careful a mic stand will work.

Advantages:

1. You can take it all down in between sessions to keep the dragon happy, or just take down part of it.

2. It doesn't cost $500k and won't alter anything to the building. A real landlord pleaser.

3. It's instantly configurable to suit the situation.

4. If it gets torn up and/or filthy you can buy new blankets

5. Doesn't cost much to experiment, especially if you already have the mic stands.

Disadvantages:

1. Obviously not scientifically tuning the room. It's very low tech.

2. If you leave it up, dust can collect on the blankets.

3. It's ugly (but functional). Good thing ugly usually doesn't make it's way on to tape.

4. It can be a pain to set up every time.

5. Not "soundproof", but neither are the other alternatives.

We used to call them "Sound Blankets", especially if the client was on set, but they are just moving blankets from Home Depot or wherever. We used hypercardioid mics in the field, so that narrowed things down further. One time we had a clueless producer set us up for an interview in a hotel in the middle of the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport. Got back in the editing room and basically had zero jet noise because we used blankets and had a talented sound guy - me ;)