Posts by audiomitch

This hasn't been my experience. I have been running a custom built Mac for the last 5 years and my interfaces have always worked after the update. I think the main thing is making sure that whatever device you use has a driver that has been updated for the newer build of Mac OS. This is really only been a problem the last couple of versions. I use a Line 6 interface and they have been pretty good about updates. If your device manufacturer is less than stellar on updates there can be third party drivers that will make it work although for some this is obviously not idea.

I don't want to start a Mac vs PC war, but both platforms have their strength and weakness. But in my experience, the OS update issue on a Mac has been maybe the biggest weakness for DAW users.

I downgraded my i7 Mac Mini server to Mavericks because of all the issues. At some point I won't have a choice and will have to update to whatever is the latest OS. That will be a long day of updating. IMO troubleshooting Windows is a lot easier and intuitive (in a relative way) than a Mac now.

I'm no Windows fanboy, but at least they usually take backward compatibility in to consideration when they come out with a update. Apple just says "it's not our problem".

My first suggestion is to format the USB stick with the Kemper not the Mac. It's a little picky about formatting. I had a similar issue until I reformatted using the Kemper.

As far as the update, I believe you HAVE to upgrade from a USB stick (I may be wrong). That's how I do it anyway, I download the update and put it in the Shared folder on the USB stick. The Kemper finds it automatically and asks if you want to update.

Good luck, you're gonna love this thing!

From what I understand now it's certainly not a must to have the S/PDIF capability, especially for the small scale projects I'm using it for. Even if I could hear the difference (unlikely), it probably becomes indistinguishable in the mix anyway.
    However, even if I don't need S/PDIF right now, I might regret buying the cheaper interface in two years, thus costing me extra money. First world problems I guess :D

Anyway I really appreciate your input, thank you all :thumbup:

Definitely not a "must" for this particular use, but why not have it in case it comes up later? I've owned cheap interfaces before and found they're really more expensive in the long run. I've owned RME products for years, and downsized to an RME BabyFace Pro after I didn't need all the inputs. Really great quality.

I also own a Presonus Studio 68 for my iPad, and it comes close to the RME as far as sound. IMHO, worth looking in to.

OK, here's what's funny... I rolled back the update and everything worked again. Then I thought, well Windows is gonna nag me to death if I don't install the update. So I did that and was prepared to work a bit to fix it. But lo and behold, on the second update it didn't screw it up and now RM connects correctly to the Kemper. If I could afford it I'd get a Mac.

Unfortunately, a Mac is even worse for updates. Almost every increment wreaks havoc with music software. I guess MS watched the resulting chaos and needed to emulate it for some reason.

OK, I'll be "that" guy. I prefer S/PDIF for the Kemper. Most of what I do is reamping and I hate the thought of all those unnecessary A/D and D/A conversions. Is there a discernible difference? Probably not for the first few generations. IMHO, one of the great things about digital audio technology is bouncing and reamping with no (or very little) degradation.

I have the same conversion paranoia about using a digital effects box in the FX loop too, so take my OCD tendencies with a grain of salt.

Funny, but I prefer my Access Virus through the analog outputs. Maybe because those sounds have no basis in the real world anyway? I'll try not to obsess too much...

If you need those super clean FX, pick up a Line 6 M5 or a used M9 and stick it in the loop. IMO, those effects are definitely "cleaner" than the built in Kemper FX.

That said, I prefer the Kemper effects for most day to day tasks, or I'll put an actual analog effect in the loop.

Those older Line6 units were the discussion of many flame throwing arguments until the Helix came out. Now all of a sudden nobody cares. They still sound fine, and are cheap on the used market.

I'm having trouble too. I tried to update from inside RM and it kept just quitting near the end. So I downloaded the file from the site, and it's giving me "Installation Ended Prematurely" error message.

So I uninstalled my old Rig Manager, but that didn't do a thing. Except I can't install the previous version because I get the same message in the older version now. Argh!

UPDATE: got it working. I had to use regedit to delete anything that said "Kemper Amps" in my Registry file. Then it installed without a hitch.

The MIDI interface has to support sysex. I don't know if the Yamaha does or not, but since it's Bluetooth I kind of suspect it doesn't. I'm using a really old M-Audio Uno USB on Windows 10 and it works perfectly.

Yes, the procedure is pretty simple, but of course the real issue is the mic and placement. Have you tried using a ribbon mic? I've used a Ribbon (Beyer M160) and an SM57 together with good results. I notice a lot of the commercial profiles are using a ribbon/57 combo too.

The other thing is that a few OS versions ago you had to go back and "zero" the gain after finishing a profile. I think it was automatically matching the level of whatever profile you had called up. Entirely possible it was operator error or it may be different in the current OS.

Looking forward to checking out your profiles! :)

inorite? what a difference from the plugins!

Thanks for the kind words! I actually forgot to say that the bass is still a plugin too. I've doing my darndest to find a bass profile I like, but end up going back to the same plugin I've been using for a while. I've used a clean GK 700RB profile for a few things, but for the grindy growly sound the plugin works best. Still searching though!

The bass plug is just the built in Ampire in Presonus Studio One, and with the Studio One compressor. As I recall it's not even a bass amp model and through a 12" guitar speaker (modelled). I should try to profile it at some point.

Thanks again for listening ^^

A song I remixed after replacing the guitar plugins with the Kemper. I obviously had to redo the mix from the ground up, so I made some different mixing decisions along the way based on the new tone. The only thing I couldn't replace was the slide solo since that was done by somebody else (on a different forum). Also the little Reggae uptick guitar is still a plugin. It sounded too full with the Kemper, so I went back to the plugin ;)

All the basic audio files are the same, no parts added. I love my KPA!

The KPA version:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The plugin version:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

thanks my guitar is a cort with stock pick ups

I had a beginners Cort Strat I found on Craigslist which played and sounded phenomenal. The only reason I don't have it anymore is that the bridge screws started ripping out of the plywood (pressboard?) body. It was one of my favorite guitars while it worked.