Posts by MementoMori

Is there a preferred or appropriate way for a vendor to correct another posters information about a product without causing this? Like I said my intention was not to spam just clear up that our or the real Atomica profile pack we sell is low gain as opposed to the Friedman Atomica which is high gain? Or should I just ask a proxy to post the information in the future?

It's a good question and I understand you were looking to clear up a possible misconception. That's perfectly fine. If it were me, I'd probably be a little more succinct and not include terms like "sell", for example. Something like "I believe Webb's profile is X, and ours is Y which might account for the difference". I don't ultimately know if that would have made a difference with the mods but might do less to pivot the conversation.

Not the end of the world or anything, just too bad the thread got moved where it doesn't belong.

Clearing up information is fine, even preferred in many cases, but in every post you've referred to the profile "we sell" and make allusions to it, meaning the discussion now shifts towards your commercial profile. Similar comments have been removed by mods in other threads in the past for that reason.

The free profiles that Webb shared might not be found by future users because the thread's been moved from the free rigs section of the forum, and that's a shame because they are top quality IMO. Please be mindful that what you say affects other people's threads.

I have been wondering about those RickyStorti profiles. They seem to be using someone else's amps and cabs if you check the meta data?

I did notice the Deadlight cab, so I figured it was the amp with an IR or Kemper cab. It's hard to deduce sometimes because although Lars has commercial cabs, I believe he's shared some for free in the past.

Would make sense if the RickyStorti profiles on the exchange were a little unscrupulous. By and large almost every profile he's uploaded has been very good for my tastes. Will have to check later and see if it's actually from someone else. That would suck and mods should take them down at that point.

It's a little different based on the gargantuan size and weight of traditional pianos. A guitar head/cab can still fit in your car, for instance.

There are pianists who talk about how different it is to play a true grand piano in a room with natural harmonics, reverb, etc. Even the feel of the keys and interaction of the vibrations is a completely different experience. However, they're also widely accepting of digital emulation because they can't cart a grand piano around with them everywhere, and some pianos hosted at venues may not be to their liking. They vary tremendously in playability and sound. But even still, classical pianists aren't playing digital pianos, just the more modern players in smaller groups.

I disagree 1000% with you. But I won't debate it with you, coz you're the kind of person that think he is right and it will be an endless debate

Doesn't everyone think they're right? I mean, you clearly think you're right, hence you voiced your opinion. Doesn't mean you can't have a rational discussion about those differences. But I should thank you since I can do away with my therapist now that I've found someone who can completely diagnose the person I am based upon a forum comment.

OneEng1 I think you downplay how many touring bands do use laptops live for automatic MIDI changes. Not unreasonable to think you can also run your sound through it as well, and for each instrument simultaneously. Plus, a backup laptop is certainly cheaper than a swath of backup devices for each player when it boils down to that.

Of course there will always be players who prefer dedicated hardware, but for those wanting the ultimate convenience, especially with how good some plug-ins are getting, it's not really that far fetched. Hell, I've seen someone use the BIAS iPad app live.

Clean:

AC30 B&N by Brian Carl

CHRTN HI 1 by Brian Carl

Vibrolux Rev CST 5 FX by George_Alayon

Breakup:

Vox Boutique OD by guitarj ("Dumble" model from a cheap VOX Valvetronix AD50VT but it's amazing)

Morgan AC20 by rmpacheco

Mid Gain:

FAS CAMERON CCV CH2 by Chris O (Axe-FX profile, really nice)

Metro/Friedman Plexi by George_Alayon

KW MARSHALL*72 4/6/3 by K WIDEMAN (add the free Marshall1960A-G12Ms-SM57-Cap-2i IR from Redwirez)

High Gain:

Mesa mk3 Merged 02 by Thumas

LABOGA 4 TWEAK by BRYMO

GRS 5150 II RHY 42 by GRStudios

Triple Crown Lead 1 by Phrygian

JCM800 MERGED by Steveness

digital does not have a sound.

otherwise, how could you have perfect sonic representations of 'classic' performances on a CD?

I didn't mean it has a sound, but it is flat. It's 1's and 0's at the end of the day.

We all choose digital because at a certain point the convenience of it in many ways is just easier to handle and maintain. But listening to a CD vs Vinyl is a completely different experience. And I'm talking true vinyl, not the stuff they make now which was all digitally recorded, mixed, mastered, etc.

My point was mainly about the "flatness" or "coldness" of digital sound. I've experienced this with other devices, which in my mind makes it more of a reality one has to accept and adapt to. Though, it's definitely improved from decades past which means it will probably continue to improve.

I didn't read through this whole thread but it did remind me of when I talked with Joe Morgan last year. I actually asked him about the Kemper and if he'd be willing to do an official amp pack. He said his "amp" was already the most popular profile on the Kemper (referring of course to rmpacheco's classic profile). That profile actually has a lot of deep tweaks from what I remember mods saying when discussing it. Regardless, that's only the amp at 1 particular setting and 1 particular signal chain.

I do feel for these guys because even if they make "modified clones" of other amps, it's still hardware. It still takes time to R&D, voice, experiment with, etc. They also build pedals, cabs, sometimes guitars or pickups, etc. The idea that somebody can just make a digital facsimile of all that work while the amp maker potentially makes nothing for it would bother anybody. But regardless of the ethical argument, this is just the present reality.

I think Dave and these other guys should make profiles of their amps the way they want them to be represented. Make a little money from it, but make it clear that this is no substitute for the amps themselves. There are enough blind tests out there to demonstrate that while impressive, profiling is not 100% accurate. It also doesn't give you the same visceral feeling of a tube head. You can sell them and be honest about what they lack but if someone already has a KPA and is interested in buying profiles from you, the guy who makes them, profiling them exactly the way you think they should sound, why not participate. People aren't buying less KPA's because of your ethical arguments.

Part of what I think disturbs these guys is also the "KPA culture" of people talking and behaving like having a bunch of profiles means they "have" the amp. Beyond the fact that a profile is just the amp at 1 particular setting and the KPA doesn't profile the EQ or gain stacks, it's also a signal chain. Amp > Cab > Speaker > Mic > Mic placement > Mic preamp > Cables. All of those leave an impression on the resulting tone. You don't "steal" an amp, you just get a sound from an amp as part of the chain.

Basically, amp builders should just embrace that this is part of their reality. You can be an old stick in the mud or you can embrace the changing landscape.

On ongoing struggle for me is using the KPA live. If I used anything scooped it just gets lost. If I use more mid-heavy or treble-heavy profiles that cut, it feels thin and cold alongside my other guitarist that uses an Orange with a 4x12.

I'm using the powerhead with a passive Mission Gemini 2x12. The coldness is something you just always have to live with in the digital realm but I'm beginning to suspect the KPA power amp is part of what leaves me underwhelmed. I've heard the Fryette Power Station does well to give back some of the warm tubeyness that gets lost, but you're also introducing more weight that way.

This is all a matter of preference and depends on the IR's. I've had some profiles sound great with IR's, others more sterile, sometimes with the same IR. Likewise, some Kemper cab captures when done well are excellent, but if they are not mic'd well (or to my liking) then it doesn't much matter.

After some time of experimenting I tend to just use full profiles rather than subbing out the cabs for IR's. When done well they're every bit as good or probably better, but I can understand if guys are using an IR that they're used to from their real amp into a DAW or another modeler, they want to keep using that familiar sound.

There's also the issue that's been brought up several times that the Kemper converter for IR's doesn't come out fully preserving the original. I don't have the personal experience to share with that, just seen a number of threads over the years bringing it up.

I appreciate the vendors who keep everything to one thread, though the drawback is having a crazy amount of pages and who is going to go back 60 pages? Those threads are cluttered as well with "Thanks!" posts and the like. So I can understand vendors not liking 1 thread for everything because their old packs just get buried.

If it were possible for each vendor to have a sub-forum page they could create individual threads in, that would maybe better help serve 2 masters. It would keep the general vendor page much cleaner and allow you to then click on their folder and see all the threads that they have for each pack. I don't know if this entirely possible with the forums layout, but seems more sensible.

Similarly, when I upgraded to the newest firmware last night, it deleted all the reverbs from the effects presets, even the old ones. I imported all the new (and I assume old) reverb presets from the site, but I don't know why it just up and deleted everything to begin with.

Apologies if this has been brought up or explained before.

People really don't buy a product like this as-is out of the box. We know what digital products are and we know where they have room to expand, so we know updates are part of the purchase. People come here and do research, see they've added features, buy, then come here asking when we expect X, Y, Z to be included. The "Feature Request" section is at no shortage of requests, so those people clearly know improvements are part of the package. If they didn't, a decent chunk would probably sell their devices when it doesn't meet their needs, which costs Kemper 2 customers (the unlikely return of the dissatisfied owner, and a new customer that buys an existing device instead of new).

Even when Kemper first came out, they promised many updates, like the performance mode. Nobody purchased it "as is", they purchased with an expectation that the product would come with residual gains. And by the way, those aren't "free", you have to fork out the cash to buy a KPA to get access to those updates and features; features that make the device more valuable to new consumers, not less.

This isn't to say Kemper owes anybody anything, but the suggestion that you only buy updatable devices without any anticipation for expansion isn't true at all. Some, like in the case of a desktop editor, are industry standard expectations, hence why so many have been clamoring for one for so long.

A good video on the Virus that mirrors a lot of things when it comes to the KPA and its slowed updates.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.