Posts by MementoMori

That is a repost and the "coming soon " is the coment of the original poster. I gues about the recording that it's taking place. Not about the Kemper editor.

Yeah, the screen pretty clearly displays a DAW, not RM.

As we're on the cusp, people who've waited 7 years for an editor are seeing editors everywhere. :D

Not long ago in North America, Kemper dropped their price on everything. I wouldn't read too much into it quite honestly.

Working in manufacturing, there are a lot of considerations that go into price. Sometimes it's just a matter of competing (though you're hurting your own margins), other times it's about your costs being reduced for any variety of reasons, be it change of factory, larger bulk orders, etc. There was little doubt in my mind that the introductory price for the Axe III would fall as they added inventory and cleared preorders. In other markets, behaviors are much the same. Early adopters more-often-than-not pay more out of pocket than those down the road.

It's worth noting that several people in the past have used the fact that the KPA was less expensive than the full-fledged Fractal unit as a point of pride. Now it's better because it's more expensive? It's not as if higher cost = better quality, inherently. Prices fluctuate and markets change, even with the same hardware as it becomes dated.

Again, I wouldn't reach too much into it.

The Kemper Editor will be indeed very helpful for making all the endless possibilities easier to manage and to connect to our individual environments..

Again this is a first.

We don't actually know everything that's going to be in it, but I can't imagine it's something revolutionary that hasn't been done before. It will be very useful, but most certainly not a first.

A lot of cringe in here these days...

The forum used to be much more information-driven and helpful years back. These days it seems most people come here for the circle jerk. A decent number of old members have noticed and either withdrawn quite a bit or been chased away, which is unfortunate, and I think the overall tone has suffered from it.

1. 1 or 2 people complain about lacking an editor
    2. 10 people complain about complaints about lacking an editor
    3. Rinse and repeat

Sadly this thread is mostly a stubborn stalemate of nonconstructive additions at this point. Occasionally something interesting is said, like hearing the perspectives from developers/engineers, which I appreciate, but at this point it's a waiting game.

If the drag and drop implementation and the GUI itself works well with a touchscreen this would be a great benefit. It would even be a kind of replacement for the missing tablet app resp. missing bluetooth/wlan module.

I really wished the KPA had Bluetooth for this purpose.

Very good point, a company has to have cash flow. Also design efforts are expensive, and revenue needs to come in to fund that NRE. On top of that, some engineers really have little concept that the money has to come from somewhere, and you can't twiddle a design forever. Eventually you have to man up and sell the design.

OTOH I have seen quite a few sales folks that have little idea how engineering a product works, and in some cases go out of their way to be ignorant of the process, but will then assign an arbitrary date for completion that is forced on the engineers. And they get angry at the laughter that comes from the engineers when this is done.

In small companies, it's always a balance between resources\customer expectations\cash flow\and time. Often there are compromises that have to be made, and some of these criteria can be immobile.

All very true. Some people can absolutely have lofty or unreasonable expectations, which is why communicating about projects and ideas is an absolute necessity in business. Not being an engineer, I've had wrong ideas of how long a developments would take, but in talking with others can amend certain assumptions and expectations, and thus communicate them to dealers/customers/artists/etc.

Because I don't know the circumstances or inner workings at Kemper, I don't want to make too many assumptions. When it comes to the editor, it's something many others and I have said should have been there from day 1. In the 9 months since WNAMM, I can understand some rustling because that's quite a long time. Developers may go through scenarios in their head, but consumers start thinking about how other competitors have been able to accomplish similar software developments and upgrades in less time and with less hiccups. Or that's the way it would feel.

In any respect, it's been so long that I'm emotionally disinvested. When it's released I'll be pleased, but I'm not checking every day for it to disappoint myself.

Reason #1- they can sell the stage, and those sales fund the development of new features. Without products like the Stage, there would be no RM3.

Not entirely true. Yes, sales add to the coffers, but these developments were announced prior to it at NAMM in January, meaning it's been in development already as the Stage was being designed & built. Given the short gap of time between them, Stage sales are certainly not what's holding back RM3.

If it hasn't been clear in my previous pokes at your profession (as well as acknowledging that I'm barking at the moon), it's all meant in a good spirit, ala sibling rivalry, if you will. I'm well aware of the fact that the payroll account gets filled by the S&M guys. Wait, that didn't come out right..

I didn't take anything as rude. In different parts of the business where people are pushing and pulling, there's always some level of tension. That can be healthy, but of course not always.

As for the Stage, and I say this with much love for the Kemper guys, it's an excellent example of the downside of get-there-itis ("we're going to ship on the xyz date come hell or high water!"). It creates problems that just didn't have to happen.

It's worth noting that the Stage was never previously announced. If anything could have waited, it was the Stage. Obviously internally they have their own reasons for its release, but I don't understand the logic with all the software and hardware problems that keep creeping up. It's the one thing people did not have expectations for.

lso, since this is the editor thread, I think that everyone who's questioned a Stage without an editor has an excellent point.

100%. For a floor model, that's an absolute must.

An alternative approach would be to have a) waited until the Stage was fully baked and the manufacturing process was sufficiently vetted and tested, and b) there was a stable, release version of the editor to go with it. Once both of those boxes were checked, the release of the Stage would have been a much bigger bang.

I agree. All the problems really killed the hype in short order. There were a lot of forgiving loyal Kemper users on this forum that were patient with the problems, but I've seen other places where people aren't nearly so understanding. You do expect a new product to work out of the box.

But let's not forget that when the Kemper was released back in 2012, it had both been delayed before launch, and after its launch came with a number of promises because it was missing several key features, like Performance mode. I believe that even took some time to be available. In a way, people in Kemperland are more used to pre-mature releases than consumers of its competitors.

It's worth noting (because I chimed in) that I am not a developer. I work in sales and marketing. Every instance relative to development that I have been a part of in my professional life has been mainly in communicating. What does sales & marketing need, what does development and logistics need, what does management expect, etc.

Of course things don't always go to plan, and often times buffers are built in, unless something is heightened in importance, like debuting an item at NAMM before you have it in stock or fully developed. This is something I deal with in this industry, as well.

By the same token, hitches in development can significantly damage an items viability if it is delayed or under delivered. Sometimes the question isn't "how much time do you need" and instead "this is how much time we have, what can we do to meet this deadline". In the case of the editor, it's not a do-or-die proposition, but the fact that it wasn't ready for launch along with the Stage has to be a significant failure. Ok, it happens. What no business benefits from is certain expectations not being met with a cavalier attitude that "when it's done, it's done". Maybe Kemper works differently, I don't work there to know, I just speak from my experience in this industry.

If sales & marketing waited for when developers wanted to release something, think of how slow tech and industry would move. That's not a swipe at developers, but their mentality is very different. Sales & marketing bring in hard dollars, which developers benefit from, and when they set a date, it typically reflects a specific reason and strategy rather than just being arbitrary for the sake of it. The date more often is keyed as a way to maximize a number of factors, but chiefly awareness and profitability.

Not realy. I could tweak the Clean profile in slot 1 and lock it, but this would mean I would have the clean sound in all slots and performances.... So it would only be an Option if there were several Options of locking (Master Lock, Lock for that Slot#, Lock for a list of Slots/Performances....)

But yes, the locking can help a Little if I would realy start to Change many Slots without an Editor. I could lock a tweaked section, go manualy to all Slots that Need that change and store the Performance. Helps a Little, but still a lot of work.

Yup. The lock feature is nice but also limited. For instance, if I want to keep my preset effects for a performance, I need to lock them individually if I change the profile so they aren't lost forever (has happened several times). I have to then unlock the effects presets so that they don't replace the effects in other performances when I switch to them. It's not overly arduous, but an editor with the ability to save and recall presets quickly and insert them into their respective slots would be much more efficient.

MM, the only way you could know that, is if you not only visited the booth, but directly asked that question. Otherwise, we would just be going on video clips showing very small snippets of RM 3.0's functionality. That fact that such functionality wasn't shown in such short, out-of-context demonstrations, does not imply the presence or the absence (one way or the other) of any given function/feature.

True, though I did stop by the booth and see it open briefly, I didn't mess around on it. Not sure whether Kemper was even letting people do so. I've seen a few different videos showing it on YT and none expressly covered much more than showing when the values were changed on the KPA they affected the editor, and visa versa, along with the signal chain. I assumed that's because this was an early preview to show at NAMM while it was being fully realized. I think if it had such a functionality, they'd be dying to demonstrate it on the show floor to add more hype and anticipation. Of course this is me making some assumptions, but they seem relatively safe. It's also possible there's a video out there that I haven't seen.

Does someone know whether this handling will be better with the Editor?

Simply put, we don't know what's going into it. What was shown at NAMM certainly didn't have such a function, but the hope is that it was a preview that will be expanded by the full release. Given how much time it's taken, including delay, let's hope it is much more comprehensive because it would be very helpful in all the ways you spelled out.

But... none of us will know until the beta is released.

Fine, I’m pretentious. I really don't care.

*Especially* when you’re involved.

Weird flex but ok lol. I was just trying to be constructive since I actually wasn't involved, being that you've directed it at 2 different people, neither being myself.

To you, perhaps.

I actually used to do the same thing since I hold language in high regard. I stopped in most insignificant circumstances because the only thing it really accomplishes is making one look pretentious. The purpose of language is to convey, and the point was conveyed, one "o" or two. And you also have to take into account that A) mistakes happen, and B) English is not the native language of many posters here.