Posts by NowoTone

I had in my old tele custom Hornauer Pickups. I really recommend these, they are handwound and unwaxed so they have brilliant highs

Just checked them out - the sound examples are really nice. Never heard from this company before, but I have to admit, I hadn't even considered handwound PUs before. It seems there are quite a few companies in Germany alone. Will definitely do some more investigating.

Thanks for the tip!

Hi all,

after overhauling my first ever guitar, a Japanese early 80s Strat copy, with amazing results, I've decided to also give my other guitars some tender love and care ...

Top of my list is my Fame Hondo 12-string strat copy. It has been defunct for quite some time now, but I remember the pickups not being very good - the brilliant twinkle of the 12 string never really came across.

So any tips for a PU upgrade for 12-string Strat-type guitars?

Also ich bin, was diese technischen/elektrischen Fragen angeht, kein Fachmann.Aber ich habe in den letzten Jahrzehnten mit „meinem“ Gitarrenelektriker aus meinem bevorzugten Musikfachgeschäft schon so manchen Widerstand rein- und wieder rausgelötet und ausprobiert. Die Auswirkungen dieser Teile darf man nicht unterschätzen.

Wo würde denn der Widerstand reinkommen? Ich habe an meinen beiden Tone-Potis einen Kondensator hängen, aber nirgends einen Widerstand (außer die Potis an sich).

Meine neuen Tone-Potis sind "Fender 250K No Load", d.h. im Gegensatz zu den meisten anderen Potis, wo immer ein wenig Widerstand vorhanden ist, gibt es hier im "voll auf" Zustand einen echten Bypass. Soll verhindern, dass die ganz crispen Höhen irgendwie beschnitten werden. Da ich meine neuen Pickups nicht zuerst mit den alten Reglern verbaut habe, habe ich allerdings keinen echten Vergleich. Andererseits, hatte ich kurzzeitig überlegt, die Tonregler komplett wegzulassen, weil ich sie praktisch nie verwende. Gut, dass ich sie drinnen gelassen habe, denn beim Kemper habe ich jetzt ein Rig gefunden, das mit Volume und Tone auf 50% sehr cremig bluesig daher kommt.
    IMG_7606.JPG

Same here...I didn't get the point of it at first, now I think its the best thing ever!

It's definitely one of the features that sold the Remote to me. I don't even play live, currently, but just for playing around and recording it's already usefull. I created a whole song just on the morphing pattern between ultra clean and high gain :thumbup:

Für 30-40 Euro erwarte ich nicht wirklich Qualität und guter Klang.Muss mal sehen, eine meiner Gitarren geht demnächst sowieso in die Wartung, dann rede ich dort nochmal
    mit dem Gitarrenbauer.
    Ich denke, dass bei der Gitarre das Problem im Holz liegt und es fraglich ist, ob ich das mit dem Pickup
    ausgleichen kann.

Das erinnert mich doch sehr an dieses Video, das ich zufälligerweise gestern gesehen habe:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Ich selber habe über Weihnachten meine allererste E-Gitarre generalüberholt und muss sagen, es hat mich echt umgehauen, was für einen Unterschied die Tonabnehmer gemacht haben. Ich habe die Originaltonabnehmer meiner Früh-80er Stratkopie gegen je einen Seymour Duncan Hot Rails für die Neck- und Bridge-Positionen, sowie einen JB Junior für die Mitte ausgetausch. Ich wollte speziell etwas stärkere Tonabnehmer, weil weder meine Epi LP Custom noch meine Ibanez Artist einen besoders rockigen Output haben. Die Seymour Duncans haben meine Erwartungen übererfüllt. Nicht nur weil sie bei High Gain Sound wirklich (differenziert) knallen, sondern auch weil die Clean Sounds wirklich sehr gediegen rüber kommen.

Falls es Euch interessiert, ich habe die Überarbeitung der Gitarre hier dokumentiert: https://photos.app.goo.gl/c5BcPaqHQks9kooJ3

Ich bin jetzt total auf den Geschmack gekommen. Als nächstes möchte ich meiner Epi LP Custom echte Gibson Pickups spendieren, weiß aber noch nicht welche. Und dann ist da noch eine 12-saitige Strat mit richtig miesen PUs ...
    Und mein Fretless Bass braucht auch eine gründliche Überholung der Elektrik (wobei der sehr gute Picks hat). Ich sehe schon, ich werde ab und an den Kemper auslassen müssen! ;)

The thing I'm looking most for at the moment (albeit from a newbie view) is a way to use the Rig Manager to also manage the cabs.

In addition to the cab managing, another great plus for me would be the ability to configure the Performance Banks directly from the Rig Manager. Basically just pre-listening to the sounds in the RM and then plonking them in the approriate slot of a Performance Bank.

Ok, I got it to work, but it must have been something else. I watched the video and I couldn't remember having seen the warning. I checked in the system settings and there was nothing. So I just deleted all Kemper related files, even checking MacHD>>Library>>Extentions (although that was strongly advised against in the other tread), but the file, KemperProfiler.kext, wasn't there, anyway.

Then I installed everything again, with the same result. Again, the warning wasn't shown and the kemper not found. So I deleted everything again and downloaded the RM again (before, I used the version downloaded to my other computer). In theory this shouldn't make a difference, but I know from experience that sometimes the act of installing does something to the original file.

With the new file I got the warning, but in the system settings wasn't anything to click on. However, after a re-start and opening the RM again, it showed the warning again and I could allow it in the system preferences.

Now it works and recognises my Kemper! :D8o:thumbup:

I'm still stumped, why the installation from the first file didn't work, but I don't care - at least I can now use the RM on my recording machine!

So yesterday I decided to do a spot of recording and preseve all the cool riffs I got inspired to by my new shiney toaster :D All set up to record the KPA output and the direct guitar out, all works beautifully, until I want to change to a sound I only ever pre-viewed and don't have on the KPA yet. And that's where the trouble started.

I realised I didn't have the Rig Manager on my recording computer, only on my work laptop, as that was what I used to just try out everyting. No problem, I thought, just install the RM on the recording laptop as well, which I did.

Unfortunatley, the RM on that computer doesn't see my KPA :pinch: So I tried different USB cables, switching the KPA on before or after:

• I plugged in the USB cable
    • I booted up the computer
    • I opened the RM

and all of their combinations.

I thought maybe there is an interference with the USB connection to my Focusrite audio interface. But unplugging that and going through the whole elimination process again didn't help, either. So, for a last test, I plugged it back in, got my work laptop connected that to the KPA, started the RM and ... it works ?( !

So my question is: Could it be really true that you can only ever run one (in total) RM per Kemper?

Thanks for the tip!

Sounds slightly radical, but I might try it. If it goes horribly wrong I can still reset the whole thing. My customised rigs in the Rig Manager should be unaffected, shouldn't they?

My Kemper 8)

It would have been new pickups for my 12 string strat, but then the Kemper came along.

I love it so much, that currently it resides in the bedroom and not in my studio. I have to be careful, I think my wife might get jealous ...

Hi all,

being a total newbie I might have a really stupid question:

How do I delete Cab IRs from the KPA?
    I had literally hundreds of cabs sitting on my computer unused and in a fit of madness uploaded them all to my Kemper. Well, of course, 90% suck. So now I want to delete 700 of them. doing it manually (with two clicks, as there's always the "Are you sure" question would be really tedious. So, apart from resetting the Kemper, can I do it differently?
    For examply via the Rig Manager? Thing is, I can't actually find the individual Cab IRs there.

On the plus side - having discovered the way you can tweak the sound just by changing the cabs has really brought a smile to my face. I love my Kemper :thumbup:

If you think the stock profiles are good, wait until you get a good cab collection stored and download some profiles that catch your ear. It's pure sonic satisfaction! Got so many custom "tweaked" amps saved in "Favorites" now that it's a question of what I feel like playing out of the LARGE room full of amps and cabs! So many choices!!!

I haven't had so much fun with my guitars in a long time.

Still need to get my head round the fact that the same rigs sound and feel so very different depending on the guitars used. I have to admit, when I gigged a lifetime ago, I used to play fairly clean (with distortion via stomp boxes) and the only amp I own is a Roland JC 120. For recordings, I've used mainly NI Guitar Rig and Scuffham S-Gear during the past few years. Of course, I noticed the differences in guitars and pickups there as well, but it was never as pronounced as with the Kemper. I have created a rig that morphes from a low gain clean chorus delay sound to one which has high gain with a little reverb and practically no delay. On on my strat with Seymour Duncan Hot Rods both sounds and the morphing between them sound great. On my Ibanez Artist the high gain sound drops in volume and seems to be pretty thin. So now I start labelling the rigs depending on the guitar I use them with.

Hi all,

been an active lurker for these past few months gathering as much information as possible to help me with my decision process. Seriously, the wealth of information and also friendliness in this forum was one of the reasons to take the plunge.

Yeah - the Kemper arrived:
    And now it's here, arrived last Saturday. I hadn't expected it to arrive before early April, but hey, I won't complain. I didn't have time to really dive into the finer details and configurations as yet, just scratching the surface, going through the standard profiles. Even that blew my head away. I have to say, I don't know when sound impressed me the last time as much as Kemper's output has been doing since I started using it. I can't remember ever having produced a better sound on real amps, but then I never had access to propper high end amps or the rooms to crank them up so they actually sounded really great. I played a few songs at a gig last Friday and the sound on stage was really bad, I presume it wasn't that much better off stage. Had we all played Kempers, it would have been so much better - but even so we still had a lot of fun :D

A little bit about myself:
    I'm a fairly acient non-professional, non-gigging musician, concentrating mostly on recording in my little studios. I'm a multi-dilettante, i.e. I play many instruments, but not very well. I started first on piano then turned to guitar, making the switch to electric guitars within one year. My guitar teacher thought I needed rhythm, so he taught me the basics of drum and bass playing first. From the mid 80s to the mid 90s I fronted a few bands, played guitar and in my last band switched to bass.
    Even before I started my first band, I mixed some friends gigs and continued doing so, getting into (4-track) recording fairly quickly. After my last band folded I worked as a sound and also lighting engineer, mostly in a theatre setting, but also small tours with local bands here in Bavaria, Germany.
    In 2000 I switched started working in IT and only recorded songs, first switching to a Yamaha AW16G for hard disk recording. I then discovered Reaper in 2012 and never looked back. The only thing missing was something that would get me the guitar sound I needed. Which brings us to the present and my new Kemper!

My recordings:
    I write mostly rock/pop songs, but have always dabbled in electronic music as well. Currently I have 3 projects, two of which active. One is a solo downtempo electronica project, the other one is a virtual band project collaborating with people all over the globe. The third one, a solo project re-recording really old songs of mine the way I always thought they should have sounded, just finished with the release of two albums:
    Ancient Gems - full band setup (apart from drums on a couple of songs all instruments played by me)

Ancient Gems Acoustic Versions - as the name says, the acoustic versions of some of the songs

Now I need to get back to my toaster and coax a few more secrets out of it (like how do I get rigs created there into the rig manager ...)