Posts by Wheresthedug

When this has happened to me it has usually been because the FOH desk was receiving the signal on a Mic Level input and the KPA was overloading the mic preamp. With cheaper desks the mic pre is often automatically engaged when using an XLR connection but on more pro level desks this is typically switchable. On desks with automatic mic pre I have to use an XLR to TS or TRS to make sure the mic pre is kept out of the signal path.

In most cases I would go for an expression pedal as Ruefus suggested.

If you do want an analog volume pedal then it depends on where you want to use it. For a pedal between the guitar and Kemper you want a High Impedance pedal as BillyNoSocks said. However, if you want to use it later in the signal chain (say after the main outputs then you need Low Impedance. It depends what you want to achieve. Straight after the guitar works like the guitar’s volume knob and has some effect on volume but also has an effect on gain of the amp. Depending on how dirty the amp sound is this might have a huge effect on volume or it might have almost no effect on volume but control the amount of distortion allowing a constantly variable Clean/Dirty sound. I like this and use it a lot BUT my guitar already has a volume knob so I always put my volume pedal late in the signal chain (after the stack or right at the output) where it has no effect on the gain characteristics but just controls how loud or quiet the sound is.

With a volume pedal you need to unplug and move the pedal to change how it works. With an expression pedal you can save the position on a rig by rig basis. You could achieve something similar by placing the volume pedal in an effects loop but this would then effectively waste an effect block that could be used for something else.

Could you explain what you mean by Boss Pan effects?

The Kemper can already do panning via the Panorama control and morphing. It can also do auto panning. However, as Kellerblues blues stated there is a big update to the tremolo effect coming in OS11 apparently (as mentioned by CKemper in a video from NAMM). Hopefully, this will deliver what you requested.

Yes, I agree. I'm actually playing with this just now and was thinking how I would like to use the Player like a simple two or three channel amp. I initially thought this was possible by limiting the number of banks to 1. My first thought was that this would just loop round in the currently selected bank. However, obviously that isn't the case. If I start in bank 6 for example, as soon as I loop past the last rig in that bank rig 1 in bank 1 loads. Further rig up/down selection now loops within Bank 1 only as designed.

However, adding the ability to manually select a bank with the push button LED on the Player then loop within that bank until a new bank is manually selected would definitely be a great workflow for gigging.

I would actually take this concept a step further and ask that we can also limit the number of Rigs to loop WITHIN a bank. For example I load Bank 1 and have 2 rigs that I want to use (Clean and Solo). Stepping on a footswitch would simply toggle between these two rigs effectively making the Player a Dual Channel Amp. This would leave the other two foot switches free to select effects in the currently selected rig.

Some time ago I approached the guitar player of a really great cover band which was playing at our company's summer party. He had a Kemper on stage and I asked him during a break what profiles he's using. He looked at me sooooooo puzzled and super surprised. Very nice conversation then and he admitted he never had something like that before - because audiences simply do not care if they are not very full of musicians (or even full of guitar players). So it is probably a bit different on music fairs or similar.

By the way: The answer to the profile questions was nice and along the lines of "uh... wait... not exactly sure... some 69 Marshall profile that sounds good and came with that box...". Needless to say he sounded perfect that night :)

Its funny but even after all the years I’ve owned the Kemper and bought loads of profiles just for the fun of it, I still use the stock MBritt 69 Marshall profiles as my default rig too.

Everytime I think I need more options or “better” sound quality I take a look at this and realise that the best thing any of us can do is learn to use the stuff we have to its full potential and spend more time learning how to play music. No one in the audience is listening to us saying “great band but if only the guitarist was using a Quad Cortex (AxeFx, ToneX, real Marshall etc etc) but of we don’t actually play the music with conviction they will notice.

V8guitar: just curious: what functionality are you missing in the tuner?

It isn’t currently possible to see what note is being tuned to. It’s not a big deal if you are already in tune before playing and just want to correct small tuning variations during a show but it could be an issue for stringing from scratch or using altered tunings like Open G, Open E, DADGAD etc

I get this working occasionally. Other times the rig that I try to pull into the performances window shows a sign (like the traffic sign for a one way street) to indicate that this is not allowed.

That's two different things. I thought your initial question (which I was responding to) was about rearranging the order of performances. I think of this like being a "Setlist" where you put the songs in the order you will play them to make changing between them on stage quick and easy.

The quoted response seems to be referring to adding Rigs to a performance. When adding rigs to make up a performance you need to do a few things.

First - make sure the profilers is in PERFORMANCE MODE.

Next - make sure you have DOUBLE CLICKED on the performance you want to work with. This will result in Rig Manager showing a Headphone Icon. If you don't Double Click the Performance will not be loaded into the Edit Buffer and can't be worked on. I am not privy to any statistic on this but my own guess is that >90% of the "problems" or erratic behaviour people report is actually user error by missing one of these 2 steps. I know that most of the times I have found RM to be flakey with performances it has turned out that I hadn't down one or both of these.

That’s great to hear. I had a similar experience in many ways. Although I found most of the Kemper workflow really straightforward there were a few things that were unintuitive or even counterintuitive to me at first. Once I got over that hurdle everything fell onto place. I alway get a great response from sound engineers and other guitarists. The best thing is the consistency. Once you have your sounds the way you want them they stay that way at every gig. No more tweaking amps and pedals every night an no more inconsistent mic placement and eq from house engineers.

I have a out 15 guitars that I use although I only ever take two to a gig or rehearsal ( a main and a spare but these change from gig to gig depending on how I feel that day). I have never needed to adjust distortion sense since I got my power head in 2018. I honestly have no idea why its there but if some people have a use for it and it’s important to their workflow then I respect that too,

Yeah, my bad. I was thinking that stack/amp volume could effect input levels to the following blocks differently like clipping into the delay or something, but they are the same. I've just always used rig volume by default. You forced me to re-read the manual and Amp Volume is the recommended parameter to create unity levels between rigs while Rig Volume is to create unity volume within setlists. Sorry if I led anyone astray.

One of the great things about the kemper is that there are often several ways to skin the same cat :)