Posts by Wheresthedug

What is the Odd Ball amp you are referring to?

I’m also not totally sure what I’m looking at in the graph. Passive tonestacks like almost every valve amp ever made are highly interactive. The position of the Treble pot affects the performance of the Bass and Mids. The position of the Bass knob affects the performance or Treble and mids etc. what does the frequency plot represent in this example (ie where are the other knobs when each is at 0 or 10)?

I sort of agree with you. The only difference is that even if I did want to duplicate the sound of a pedal I still wouldn’t be bothered doing it as the reason for getting something like the Kemper (for me at least) is to have a simple all in one solution.

I agree that the Carbon Copy shouldn’t be hard to emulate. However, although I managed to get in the general ballpark with the single delay i was never able to get it to sound exactly like a real Carbon Copy. I still have mine but can’t be bothered running a hybrid setup so just use the single delay.

Focusrite software is known to have issues. I can only suggest you get another brand. I have the Motu M4 and only touched it once during the initial install. I set it and forget it because it works all the time everytime.

I’m not sure that’s the case Larry. Focusrite are probably the biggest selling interfaces in the world and seem to work for the vast majority of people. I had a Focusrite Thunderbolt interface until quite recently when I bought a new Mac that would no longer work with it. The Focusrite and its software was rock solid for over 10 years. I now have a MOTU Ultra Lite MK5. It has been unstable from day one. Even had the first one replaced and the replacement still has problems. It has improved somewhat since the last Firmware and CueMix driver update but it still isn’t a stable as my old Focusrite was.

I think every manufacturer can have some issues on some systems for some users and it’s really just a matter of systematically troubleshooting until you reach the root pf the problem.

I think we are agreeing with each other.

I think a Player with a "remote" type pedal board would be a poor way of achieving less than the Stage already provides. Therefore, if I wanted the flexibility of the Stage including many foots itches for changing banks/rigs/FX I would buy a Stage instead of a Player and Midi Pedal. Where the Stage makes a lot of sense is for the people who do like modular stuff and want a more traditional personalised setup. This is where additional 2 or 3 button foot switches seem to make sense. A player plus midi pedal seems like a handicapped Stage or Head to me but obviously there are plenty of others who feel differently which is fine too.

Electro Harmonix Triple Foot Controller caught my attention. Someone has tried?

Thank you

Unfortunately, I don’t think the Kemper products can make use of the 3rd switch on this pedal. To be honest, when I looked it up I thought it would need two cables but EH have used a really simple and ingenious solution.

Triple Foot Controller | Remote Footswitch - Electro-Harmonix
    Compact, easy-to-use utility pedal providing remote foot-control for devices with external footswitch jacks!
    www.ehx.com

A TRS plug has 3 potential combinations for shorting the signal. T-S, T-R, S-R.

Burkhard I wonder if the Kemper could recognise and interpret this with a simple software update or if the hardware isn’t compatible. A player with an additional 3 switches could be a killer rig alternatively a Stage or Remote with a 3 button external switch could be a great solution.

well, not to people who them enough to request they be present. this feature isn't something i'd particularly need but everyone has different preferences. i don't think it's such a senseless ask especially when those values are present outside of performance mode.

The issue is simply that Kemper is a relatively small company with limited development resources which need to be prioritised in accordance with user needs and demands. The feedback and discussion in this feature request area gives the company an idea of whether a request is something that would be useful to and appreciated by lots of users, and therefore worth devoting development resources towards, or is simply a poorly thought out fringe case that only a very limited number of users would want.

The opinions in this thread don’t seem like shaming anyone but rather simply explain why this request seems like a fringe case that very few (if any) users would really achieve a tangible benefit from. I explained in my first comment why I genuinely believe that to be the case. Therefore, as a user I would prefer that developers focus their time and efforts on other upgrades instead. That is simply my personal opinion which I am entitled to voice (as long as I can make a reasoned argument for why I believe that). Equally, if others feel differently they are perfectly entitled to put forward their reasoning for why the feature would be beneficial. Based on the input from as many users as possible the developers can form an opinion on the priority of any request.

The number of users who feel a request is worth supporting or otherwise is a potential indicator of whether a request has any mainstream appeal. Other than the OP only 9 people have expressed an opinion on this (and two of these are from Kemper), with only two saying they would support the feature. Even those two people say they “don’t particularly need” or “it doesn’t bother me as much as it used to” so not exactly screaming for the feature to be added.

I still stand by my my original reasoning for why it isn’t appropriate in the Kemper scenario.

Well, of course we use our ears, I would like to have a reference, or indicator anyway. I think most people would. If not, why would manufactures even add numbers or even slots on the front of amps?

The difference between a physical amp pot and a digital continuous rotary encoder with a stored setting is an apple to oranges comparison. Physical amps have numbers as a basic quick reference to remember general tones and get back in the basic area quickly. Digital amps like the Kemper have saved rigs to,do the same thing.

I certainly am not trying to shame anyone or belittle the OP in any way. Merely expressing my personal opinion on the matter of whether I would like to see valuable resources devoted to this request over some of the other requests that still haven’t been delivered.

Are you using the recent Beta Version (can’t remember the number but the one with the Tuner updates etc).

If so you should be able to do this no problem. One thing that you need to know is that you can assign multiple slots to the same switch. If Slot B is already assigned to a switch it might be conflicting with the slot A you are trying to add.

I've got it to work now, but the volume is extremely low at the moment. I can't seem to find out why exactly. (I've checked the Fosusrite software, but everything seems alright)

There could be all sorts of reasons for this but assuming the Focusrite is setup correctly the first thing to check is the Output menu of the Kemper/RigManager.

Is the -12db option checked?

You seem to be using the Main Output of the Kemper. Is the Master Volume for the Main Output turned up?

Do you have the Pad activated on input 1 of the Focusrite?

What signals ate you trying to send on the Jack and XLR outs? The Main Output Jack and XLR outputs will always send the same signal. If you are trying to send different signals like DI or Delay/Reverb wet only you need to use Direct out and/or Monitor out along with the XLR or Jack for main outputs.

'this'

I have stereo effects after my Kemper - works great. Sure, its alot of cables, but it works.

The only issue with this approach is where using the monitor out for personal monitor while sending main out to FOH. In this scenario the on stage monitor doesn’t get the external pedal. Obviously, doesn’t matter if a player isn’t using the monitor out though so definitely player specific.

When this has happened to me it has usually been because the FOH desk was receiving the signal on a Mic Level input and the KPA was overloading the mic preamp. With cheaper desks the mic pre is often automatically engaged when using an XLR connection but on more pro level desks this is typically switchable. On desks with automatic mic pre I have to use an XLR to TS or TRS to make sure the mic pre is kept out of the signal path.

In most cases I would go for an expression pedal as Ruefus suggested.

If you do want an analog volume pedal then it depends on where you want to use it. For a pedal between the guitar and Kemper you want a High Impedance pedal as BillyNoSocks said. However, if you want to use it later in the signal chain (say after the main outputs then you need Low Impedance. It depends what you want to achieve. Straight after the guitar works like the guitar’s volume knob and has some effect on volume but also has an effect on gain of the amp. Depending on how dirty the amp sound is this might have a huge effect on volume or it might have almost no effect on volume but control the amount of distortion allowing a constantly variable Clean/Dirty sound. I like this and use it a lot BUT my guitar already has a volume knob so I always put my volume pedal late in the signal chain (after the stack or right at the output) where it has no effect on the gain characteristics but just controls how loud or quiet the sound is.

With a volume pedal you need to unplug and move the pedal to change how it works. With an expression pedal you can save the position on a rig by rig basis. You could achieve something similar by placing the volume pedal in an effects loop but this would then effectively waste an effect block that could be used for something else.