Posts by Wheresthedug

Sorry for the long posts.. just thought it would be interesting for folks who may be used to playing in cover bands but not have an appreciation that there is other forms of gigs and we work a little different 😉

No need to apologise floyd. I am actually fascinated by the way you work and the intricacies of these shows. An old band mate does trumpet in lots of shows. Two other old band mates are drummers that do shows pretty much exclusively, one in the touring productions of West End shows the other is pretty much Andre Lloyd Webber’s first call for original cast new shows. These guys work on a level I can only dream of . I am sure you are working to similar standards in which case you have my total admiration 🤘

The actual intro is apparently done with samples of each chord being triggered by a sequencer but getting that effect live is a bit more complicated. I tried all the delays last night, with and without tremolo. A basic dual delay with some reverse and swell can get something passable but I would like to gptry and learn how to get really close. The fractal forum thread I linked to has a recording of a user achieving it with the AxeFX. It sounds pretty spot on. I’m sure the KPA could also get there if I actually knew what I was doing 🤣

While I am very firmly of the opinion that there is little or no value in having the ability to edit sounds without hearing the changes, I do agree with some of your points about bulk editing and performance management.

It would be fantastic to have the ability to create base Performances without the KPA being on hand (I actually thought we could already do this but I have just tried it and it crashed Rig Manager several times so I guess we can't ;().

If we assume that many users typically use only a handful of favourite rigs in the majority of their performances, we can assume these users would know which rigs to load in each slot for a desired performance.

They may also know which Stomps and FX they want to load in each slot even though specific settings may need to be adjusted when able to hear the sound (although an FX preset should get most of the way there).

Finally, they may be expected to know which Stomps or FX they want to assign to each Remote/Stage Footswitch. Doing this when creating a performance would be a big advantage. The recent addition of Auto Assigning Footswitches is a great step in the right direction but the ability to simply assign footswitches within RM would be ideal.

The ability to perform batch/bulk editing would also be helpful.

At the moment you can make batch changes to Tags such as Amp Name etc which speeds up database management but it would be nice to also be able to apply some general bulk changes. For example, some popular profilers consistently boost the Amp and/or Rig volume of their Profiles significantly. As a result they are always much too loud for the rest of my rigs. Having the ability to simply select a bunk of these rigs and lower the amp volume to a fixed number (eg 0.0db) instead of manually editing and saving each rig individually. Another well known profiler often sets the Delay/Rev routing at +58% on all their rigs. I invariably reset this to 0% for all of them. Doing this manually is very time consuming and a major PITA.

These types of global changes aren't really tone tweaking but just general housekeeping. I can definitely see the ability to do this sort of housekeeping off line as being useful especially for musicians who travel and may spend a lot of time sitting in airport lounges or on tour buses with a laptop but no KPA.

Although I have been playing for over 40 years and over 30 of those gigging I am a real noob when it comes to FX. Most of my life BK (before Kemper) was Guitar > Cable > Amp. Even now with all the options for FX in the KPA I still rarely use any Stomps and maybe sometimes a little delay or ambience reverb.

Now I want to try and get the sound of the intro to Vow by Garbage and my head is totally screwed up. I initially thought it was a delay but nothing I tried gets close. Then I tried Tremolo but again not even close. I did some googling and ended up of a Fractal Forum postwhere someone pretty much nailed it by using delay followed by tremolo but all linked to a square wave LFO controlling the volume block. No idea how this would translate to the Kemper though. Has anyone ever managed it and if so how did you do it?

I've spent a lot of time mixing and producing lately and I hear things differently than I did when I only played guitar in a live situation. So to me, that thump of 4x12 air isn't as important since I know I'm literally the only one who will notice it at a live show.

That’s a really important observation Josh. 😎😎

When we start, we (guitarists as a breed) are only interested in how WE sound. Many never get beyond that state. However, when you start mixing and begin to think about the guitar WITHIN a mix you become very aware that the overall impact on the audience is often very different than the sound we hear and love.The audience aren’t listening to the guitar tone but the band mix and that’s what we need to focus on making sound killer.

sounds like the scarlett mic pre is clipping. The Kemper has a pretty hot output which doesn’t play well with consumer level mic pres. the Scarlett has a combi input which automatically engages the mic pre when an XLR is plugged in. However, if you use a TS or TRS cable/adapter you bypass this and achieve sufficient headroom for the line level output of the KPA.

As long yo don’t really crank the power amp would think you will be fine. Keep an eye on the power output meter initially to male sure.

I’m sure some “proper” bass players will chin with some more specific recommendations regarding tone.

wwittman uses the kemper on stage for bass wwith Cyndi Lauper so it would be good to hear his input.

A lot depends on genre and the type of tone you are after. I am mainly a guitarist too but I did play bass in 10 piece soul band for 12 years. My rig then was an EVO500 Ashdown head and Ampeg 808HE cabinet. Since getting the Kemper I have only done one bass gig using a Power Head and the Ampeg cab. I used a factory content profile but can’t remember which one and it sounded awesome.

Basically my only advice is find a great profile that works for you and don’t over think it thereafter.

I would be hacked off too in your shoes but I can honestly say I have never had an issue like this in all the time I have owned my Kemper. As noone else seems to be having similar problems it would suggest that the issue is something else in you system causing a conflict rather than a problem with the Kemper updates. I would take up Kemper’s offer of help via the support channel to have them look at your own case.

Hope you get tor the bottom of it soon.

The OP appears to think that RM could produce the sounds to edit them. My point is simply that this isn’t a feature request but a whole new product request.

Quote from From original post

How awesome would it be if you could record a few riffs/licks in the Rig Manager and play them again and again whenever your guitar or Kemper is not next to you. So you could create new sounds and experiment with all the kemper effects you want.

Think that should be easy to set up isn´t it?

Clearly, this whole new product would be unlikely to fall into the category of “easy to set up”

You are absolutely right. You need to hear it. That's why I mentioned using pre-recorded DIs.'

How would the pre-recorded DIs be able to be heard without having the Kemper on hand?

Your request implies that RM would actually create the same sounds as the KPA itself. This would involve turning arM into a full blown Kemper plug-in. At the moment RM is just a database. When you make a change to a sound it loads the sound into the KPA edit buffer and makes the changes there not in RM.

As far as I am aware, the KPA relies on a specific chip which is not available in the PC/Mac that are running RM. If this is correct (I am about 99% sure it is) then turning RM into a plug-in would require a complete rewrite of the software which would be a major project. I doubt this is likely to happen, but you never know. If RM were to become a plug-in there would be no need for the pre recorded DIs either as you could just play yourself and hear the sound from the computer

Is not always easy. You might need to try a few different amps. You might need to tweak eq a lot. Sometimes the rest of the band cannot afford to wait for you until you finish editing rigs.

but if this is the case then you don’t know enough about what you need to tweak to be able to do it without having the Kemper there to hear the changes. How can you TRY a few different amps or tweak EQ a lot without hearing the results. It just isn’t possible.

If you know that exactly what you need to do (say boost 3.2khz by 1.4db) then you know enough to do it quickly in the rehearsal. If you don’t know the exact tweaks needed the. You need to hear the changes (preferably in the context of the band mix) so you need the Kemper to audition the changes. I still can see how this concept would work in the real world.

Just imagine you are rehearsing with your band. You take notes of the tweaks you need to do to your rigs.

After rehearsing you leave all your equipment in the rehearsal room because you will rehearse the next day again.

You go home, take out your computer and make the tweaks you need. You use DI recordings you had made previously. Store the new rigs/performances in a usb drive.

Next day before the rehearsal you load the new stuff on your Kemper, rehearse and enjoy the perfection of a digital rig.

but surely f you know what tweaks you need to make (in enough detail to take notes you would be better and quicker just making the tweaks at the rehearsal and saving them at the time.

I have the Kabinet sitting flat on the same floor as my ToneMaster so that shouldn't be an issue.

I believe the Tone Master has a significantly larger cabinet volume which will increase bass response. It is also open backed which should increase bass (particularly if placed close to a wall) but provide less focused bass and less attack than a closed back cabinet like the Kemper. Unfortunately there is only so much you can do to overcome the laws of physics. Putting the Kemper Kone in the ToneMaster cabinet would be a very interesting experiment.