Posts by Wheresthedug

Teenie tiny venues & would be cab miked if any bigger.

Bear in mind you can’t mic the Kones so if you really insist on micing a cab for bigger gigs (I wouldn’t dream of doing that as the Studio profile already includes the miced cab) then you need to go with a traditional cabinet.

to answer your other question about playing backing tracks through a regular guitar cab; it will sound very dull and muffled as the speaker isn’t capable of producing the high frequencies.

Other guitarists JVM is a combo...unhelpfully!

You should still be able to use the speakers from the JVM combo as they aren’t hard wired as far as I can see. Unplug the speaker Jack from the JVM and plug it into the Speaker out on the powered KPA. Remember to make sure the Marshall amp section is turned off at the time as it needs the speaker load to stop the amp frying.

Short answer = yes.

longer answer it changing the amp isn’t the most common workflow. What are you trying to achieve?

My on workflow would be to think of a Rig like an analog amp. Start from the amp and add any FX etc to this. Therefore, I would load a Rig based on an Amp that I want as the first step. I would then change any FX ad the. Rather than the other way round.

If you have an FX chain that you know you want to use but don’t know about the amp yet I would load a rig with those FX then Lock All But Amp or Lock all But Amp and Lock the cabinet manually. Ow you can select any Rig you want from the local library and on the Amp/Cabinet will change. One you are happy store the new rig and unlock the FX.

If you really want to use Amp Presets you need to creat a preset first. Find a rig with an amp you like then drag the Amp block to the Presets window in RM.

I’m not near my KPA just now to test this but I would expect it to work the same way as any other Block. For example if you want to make a Preset of say the Chorus in The Mod Block or the EQ in the X Block etc. You would highlight that block for editing then hit Store. The KPA will ask if you want to store the whole Rig or only the Block. You select Block (might be called Module on the screen) and hit Store again. Try doing this with the Amp Block (or Stack if you want the cabinet too) highlighted and I think you will be fine. No need to copy and paste etc.

Another option is to not bother with copying or making presets at all. Just use the lock function. Lock the Amp (or Stack) now select the rig you want to add that too. This will load everything from the new rig except the Amp which is locked as the one from the previous rig. Now store the new rig. Job done. Don’t forget to unlock afterwards though.

if you are doing it in RM it is even easier. Just open the rig you want to copy from and drag the Amp section to the preset window.

You need to linke Monitor Out volume NOT Master Volume.

As for the Recto-Verb each channel Master is actually the send level into the FX Return not the master After the return sognal so it won’t affect the volume in your scenario.

The noise may be a grounf loop. Try toggling the ground lift switches on the Kemper.

Looks like you have update Beta versions ticked in RM. The version you are referring to ion the website will be the last official version. Beta versions are shown in a drop down menu on the website.

If you don’t want to risk using beta versions untick the beta box in RM preferences.

I organise mine in 3 folders

1 - studio profiles from others

2 - direct amp profiles from others (stops you accidentally landing on a rog with no cabinet and getting that chainsaw to the ears experience)

3 - my own profiles or edits to other profiles.

I no longer use folders and subfolders as Rig Manager can search in sub folders so they were more of an inconvenience than a help to me.

in order to make the search function more useful I went through all the rigs in RM and updated all the tags to meaningful info. For example (even from the same vendor) the same amp type can have a different pseudonym like Mars/Marshmallow/British Stack type thing instead of Marshall. So I use the sort column to put all rigs that use Mars as Amp Manufacturer for example next to each other. I then highlight them all and type Marshall into the amp name of one of the rigs. This updates them all as a bulk batch. I then move to Amp Model and sort by that. Say there are several similar but not identical names for a JMP SL1959, I highlight them all and update the tag in one of them - boom now they all say JMP SL1959 and The search function is now more useful than a folder.

Is it a powerhead or unpowered?

When I got the unpowered Kabinet I didn’t fully connect the speaker cable (it was in the socket but nit pushed fully in) the result was that when I played hard the poweramp safety feature came on and killed sound to stop the amp frying. I thought I had a faulty speaker until I realised the cable wasn’t in. Once I made sure the cable was in the amp could see a suitable load and the safety feature was no longer required to protect the amp.

I primarily play along with songs on my stereo at home. I use the transpose function when I play all the time to play along with songs that are tuned down a half step and I love it.

Instead of transposing the guitar I transpose or fine tune the track I am playing along to using Transcribe! From seventhstring.com It is a fantastic little software app that makes learning and playing along to track super easy.

Why not just use transpose on the Kemper? Because I can still hear the guitar strings at their natural pitch along with the transposed tones from the KPA. Having everything doubled a semitone apart can be a real pain in the backside ?

Is there any pedal out there that is significantly better than the Kemper for this type of digital capo trickery? There are a couple of songs I sing live that I need to capo up 2 to 3 half steps but I’m also doing a lot of string bending,whammy bar and horizontal lead playing (Hendrix songs) so I don’t like to capo for obvious reasons with this type of playing. The kpa transpose function works pretty well and the latency doesn’t throw me off much but if I could find a pedal that had a significantly better outcome I wouldn’t mind dropping 300 bucks or so on it.

Not that I am aware of. I have a Digitech Whammy DT but find it at best no better thean the KPA and at worst not as good. In a side by side test I find the KPA more neutral sounding. The Digitech does something to the sound which colours it compared to the original. Many people like this though so you need to try for yourself.

Yes! When I use XLR Cables, I set the audio interface to Mic level instead of Line!

shall I change any settings on the Kemper when I use xlr you mean?

Now I think it sounds ”okay” with the xlr cables! But I think that the ”hiss” in the background is still a bit annoying ???

It is a different noise when I compare the cables to each other

The Kemper puts out a Line Level signal. If you are using XLR cables you need to make sure your interface can accept Line Level signals NOT Mic Level on the XLR input.

This is partially why piano played on guitar and guitar played on a keyboard will always sound off.
    The interface influences the outcome quite audibly.

I think we are answering slightly different questions Don. I didn't see anything specifically about playing piano parts on guitar, only pitch to mid conversion which could be used for many purposes. This could be playing midi synths in as a unique way ala Metheny. But it could also include notating your actual guitar parts without the need to manually key in all the notes. This typically would still need some manual clean up (a bit like using speech to text dictation software such a Dragon) but could still be much faster than typing in notes of frets in something like Guitar Pro. I don't think there is any doubt that the interface influences the outcome. I had an Ibanez IMG-2010 X-ING midi guitar back in the late 80's or early 90's and at that time I thought it would let me sound like a pianist and a trumpeter and a saxophonist etc. Needless to say I was very disappointed. However, if I had approached it in a different way I might have managed to get some great use out of it.

it is best to have both, one cannot replace the other.
    the voicings used on each instrument make that obvious: on keys it's often an octave in the bass and the upper chord is structured in thirds (good luck fretting that on a guitar), while chords on a guitar (in standard tuning) rely mostly on fourths and fifths (the g-b pair of strings being the exception).
    This is partially why piano played on guitar and guitar played on a keyboard will always sound off.
    The interface influences the outcome quite audibly.

This is true but many great players have managed to make the guitar synth a unique instrument in its own right. Players such as Adrian Below, Pat Metheny and Allan Holdsworth spring to mind.