Posts by Wheresthedug

2. The monitor output shouldn't be affected though. That doesn't sound right.

while that is true in theory I think I remember Burkhard saying that the way cab driver works it is impossible to fully disable it so there is always an effect on the monitor output. I think it is because cab driver only estimates what portion of the sound is amp and what portion is speaker but I could be wrong.

that doesn’t work for the Stage as the space constraints of the pedal board size meant they replaced the XLR with a TRS socket.

I personally do use it for intonation and I think it works just fine, but the common feeling by our fellow netizens is that it is best to use a good strobe tuner for that application....I don't get it, nor am I an expert, but I do know enough about human nature to appreciate that it's difficult to change folks minds on certain things, tuners for intonation being one ;)

i use the Kemper tuner in Strobe mode all the time and can’t imagine going back to a bubble style.

something i found too- as a guitarist, you don’t need the ultra highs and lows if the primary sound in your iem mix is your guitar. If anything, it’s nice having less bottom end “polluting” your iem when there can often be enough ambient LF on stage.

That’s what I found too. I like the Shure SE425 for that reason. They are really clear and detailed in the mids where the guitar sits which makes it easy to hear myself in the mix

I have used these several times at a gig where they are provided by the venue. They sound almost good if you get memory foam cushions for them. With the stock rubber ones, I could not get enough lows and mids for the guitar to sound right.

Has anyone directly compared the 215s to the KZ? I only play a few IEM gigs per year, but, I am interested in the KZ if they sound remarkably better.

I haven’t tried the KZ but have SE215 and SE425. I struggled with the bottom end on both with regular generic inserts. However, I had a pair of Snugs custom molded covers made and it totally transformed them in mich the same way as I am sure Bryan experienced when switching to the 64 Audios.

for preamp saturation style effects, eithre try the 'Grit' parameter in the delays, or put the delay before the STACK (Eddie did it) :)

I know both of those options but I’m thinking more of a simple pre amp type control within the effect rather than tie up an extra effect where people want to use the saturation effect but with delays/flanging after the stack. As you know some people used to use the Echoplex turned off just for the pre amp. I’m only thinking aloud on this one as it’s not something I really need but I think I can see where the OP is coming from.

I don’t use Bandhelper pr anything like that but I will say that SetList modes was ne pf the things I really liked about the RJM Mastermind series midi controllers and their editor software. In general the simplicity of the Remote means that I very rarely plug in RJM any more but I do miss SetLists.

I must confess I haven’t tried a Deco or even listened to many demos but have just looked at the Strymon website for some info.

It looks to me as if the KPA delays can already do most of that. However, I presume that the Deco’s secret sauce lies in the “always on” tape delay pre amp saturation effect. Maybe just adding an extra pre amp saturation control to the existing delays would be enough. Or, maybe ckemper could tell us how he would go about achieving those effects with the existing delay engines. I am always amazed at how he manages to create/replicate sounds in ingenious ways - presumably comes from his synth background.

with the cabinet section turned off you are running the Kone in full range mode so the resulting sound should be similar to a valve amp directly into a PA (which most people would describe as unpleasant at best). If you aren’t getting this effect perhaps the second speaker which provides the high frequency content is damaged in your Kabinet. I would contact support or find another Kabinet to compare against.

My room doesn't have very well acoustics, I have thought about that, BUT I've played with it in different & better rooms and it's pretty much the same... (plus how much of a difference does it actually make)

a massive difference to be honest. However, poor acoustics and speaker placement typically make most difference in low to low mid frequencies rather than higher frequencies. One possibility is that poor room acoustics are causing substantial frequency peaks in those ranges that effectively make the highs sound quieter than they really are. Similar to saying my amp sound dull so I must need more highs when in actual fact you just need to reduce mids or lows which are masking the highs.

I don’t know if this is the problem in your case but it can’t be discounted until you remove the room from the equation (headphones would be one way to do this).

You also mentioned that you find Live Ready Sounds profiles to sound good while Tone Junkie, MBritt etc don’t. There are plenty of profiles that I don’t like which others love and vice versa. This is hardly surprising as tone is subjective and heavily dependent on genre. It may just be that your taste is different than that of Michael or Jonathan or whoever.

Thx, re: "the Kabinet gives you the amp in the room feel back that most FRFR speakers don't provide."

Are you saying the Kabinet is more special somehow than say loading up Kones in my own 2x12 cab?

no

the Kone itself is the secret sauce rather than the cabinet it/they are loaded in. The intention is that the Kone with imprints should sound like the imprinted speaker (V30, Greenback etc) in the same cabinet. The cabinet plays a significant part in the overall tone. If you like a closed back 1x12 then the Kabinet could be a good choice. If you like, say, an open back 2x12 then the Kabinet wouldn’t be an ideal choice. In either case the imprints should make the Kone sound like the selected speaker(s) mounted in the same cabinet. You can fight physics.