Posts by Wheresthedug

@ckemper thanks for letting us know.

I actually don't use the volume pedal at all. If I did I would most likely want a log taper. So your current methodology seems perfectly sensible.

I would like to be able to select the taper/curve for the expression pedal (a Mission SP-1 RJM in my case) to make Wah and Morph more usable for me. Others may feel differently of course but I find the Wah effects have all their impact in less than the first quarter of the travel. It is almost like having an on/off pedal :-) I know that real Wah pedals aren't perfect but both my Cry Baby and Morley transition the filter gradually across the majority of the travel. They might not be linear but they do have some impact across the full range.

It does exist, although I think everyone is missing it. It has nothing to do with copying warmth or quality.
    The missing '5%' (or more) is that tube amps are like people ---- > moody. Kemper takes a 'snapshot' of your tone and you stay at that snapshot, a perfect pleasing tone all the time.

or a consistently moody tone depending on how your valve amp was feeling when you profiled it ;-)

To be fair I sometimes think my KPA is SO valve like that the tone even changes from day to day just to mimic the real thing. Either my ears are knackered or the Christoph Kemper is beyond a genius :-)

I wouldn't be in a position to turn it up to the necessary volume, and if I did, it would ruin the overall mix.

Most of the most vocal group of tne snobs that complain the KPA doesn’t sound like a real amp tend to be super macho metal heads how insist that they need two 412 cabs and a triple rec cranked to get “their” tone. They will tell you which brand of valve to have in each valve placement and which combination of speakers to use when rewiring your cabinet because the way Mesa or Marshalor Soldano build them isn’t quite right.

They then go on to say they can’t play properly (lack inspiration) if they don’t have “their” sound and masses of air movng. Then brag that all is fine as long as “their” sound if right and they couldn’t care less whether the audience can hear anything but them, whether the sound guy can create a balanced mix - that’s not my problem I sound great and am “inspired”! I don’t care if the band sounds like shit!

I don’t mean to single out metal players in isolation, there are lots of others with the same affliction but the metal heads seem to be the ones shouting about it on forums.

The other thing that surprises me is that many of the TUBE sounds that people say KPA can’t fully capture don’t really sound like tubes to me anyway as they are so heavily processed.

I know from my limited attempts at profiling my own amps that there is a very slight difference playing through the same cab in the room but it is so slight as makes no difference to me. In fact I often end up preferring the profile to the real amp.

The velcro can be removed easily and the glue residue wipes off with Naptha so you would never know it had been there.

Having said that, the one I picked up the other week was/is in perfect condition and looks like new.

I have no problem buying used gear BUT if I’m taking the risk I expect the price to reflect it. Mine was equivalent of $360 US which I consider fair depreciation for a good condition used pedal. That’s FAIR not GREAT or BARGAIN. At $400 and up I would just buy new.

I looked into the Eclipse manual again.
    They use chromatic intervals as well. (100 cent, 200 cent etc.)
    I cannot remember seeing user scales being set in absolute rather than in intervals anywhere else...

@ckemper I can't remember anyone profiling amps until YOU invented it !

Someone always has to be first ;-)

Just joking. I'm only yanking your chain.

I don't feel strongly either way. If it is easy to do (which I am guessing it is) then why not pick the low hanging fruit. if it's difficult and time consuming then there are plenty of things I would rather see improved - Rig Manager for a start.

The KPA is an awesome piece of kit already. Obviously we all have things we would like to see introduced or existing things improved but you can't please everyone all of the time. As long as you and the team are listening to users requests I figure we will see improvements continue and these will hopefully be prioritised based on user demand.

I am not sure if that everyone would be pleased by changing the user scales from a relative to an absolute representation.That would also mean, that the naming of the steps would be dependend of the actual key and thus change whenever the key is changes.
    At least I would not like it as I think in intervals rather than in absolute pitches.

Hi Christoph. Surely it would be easy enough to let users select which view they prefer (a bit like bubble or strobe tuner) ?

Oh, and I use the formant shift too. It's excellent!

Mine has frozen twice in the last week.

I recently got a used remote and started using that with a Mission EXP pedal in input 3 and a cheap zoom pedal in input 4.

On two occasions recently the entire Kemper has frozen entirely. The remote went dead and nothing on the KPA worked at all. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the remote but that didn't help. I switched off the KPA and restarted it - bingo everything worked as normal.

It has only happened twice so far and I haven't been able to narrow it down to a specific trigger (therefore haven't opened a support ticket yet). I am running the latest beta firmware so presumed it might just be a bug in the beta which will get ironed out on final release.

In both instances so far the KPA has been connected to my Mac and Rig Manager in my studio. I have unplugged the USB connection to the computer to try and rule this out as a cause. So far I haven't had a re-occurrence but it is early days. I will keep an eye on it and report back if it happens again (at which point I will raise a support ticket).

Hi all,

I was wondering if i can do a direct amp profile (Preamp+Power amp) without using my 4x12 cabinet with a Loadbox ? If yes, can someone please suggest how to use it ? The reason I'm trying this way to see if the cabinet has anything to do with the drop of the mids after making the final profile which happens to every amp i profiled using Kemper DI box + 4x12 cabinet.

You can do it with a load box. My experience so far has been that the cabinet sounded better. I did a set of profiles with the same settings and two ART DI boxes (one passive the other active) and the atwo Notes Torpedo reload. The Torpedo didn’t sound good to my ears. I put all three up on Rig Exchange to compare (can’t remember if they’re still there though) under author wheres the dug.

The Two Notes is a reactive load box so it should be close to the real speaker. A simple resistive load boad should colour the sound more as a real speaker doesn’t have a fixed impedence but rather a curve that changes with frequency.