Posts by Wheresthedug

It is worth bearing in mind that the Kone is not a full range or flat response speaker by default. It relies on the Kone DSP in the Kemper to make it flat for Full Range mode. Therefore, the results you get with another modelling device will be unknown until you try it. They may work really well together but they may not depending on your own tastes.

haven’t noticed mine freezing ever but the latest version seems to be slow to respond to key clicks. When using the Left/Right arrows to audition rigs I now either need to push the arrow twice or wait a little while before pushing it at all.

Unfortunately it isn't possible to save all the FX as a single preset to use as a Template. It is possible to do it in two steps on the classic profilers (rack and toaster) but it can't be done on the Stage or via Rig Manager which is a PITA.

On the physical classic profilers you can save the Stomps section as one preset and the Effects Section as a second preset. That way you only need to drag in two presets. Also you can lock Stomps and Effects as sections rather than locking all slots individually or doing the Lock All then unlocking Amp and/or Cab. To be honest the Lock All option in RM is actually pretty good. The problem is the lasck of an option to Unlock Stomps or Unlock Effects as a group.

If Kemper would add Section Presets to RM it would make things a lot easier and smoother ;(

Open it up? :D (please don’t!)

I think the only difference between older and „newer“ devices is the writing on the front. The old models have „profiling amplifier“ written on it, the newer ones just have „Profiler“. And I haven’t heard of a wifi module in them, but that doesn’t mean I’m right.

The older ones with Profiling Amplifier predate the changes to the SPDIF board which the post 2019 "newer" ones have. However, many of the plain Profiler (like mine from early 2018) also predate the "newer" ones with the updated SPDIF board like the Stage. In other words the name change to Profiler doesn't have anything to do with the hardware or functionality.

I don't think any of the Rack/Toaster classic Kemper have WiFi even the very newest ones.

This is one of the features the Toaster and Rack have. With both a Stomp and Effect button, they can be saved as presets.

I’d like to see support for this on the Stage, as well. Perhaps even ‘factory’ preset support.

Not being a Stage user, this doesn’t make any difference to me but I would love to see it added. The follow one effect of this might then be that these buttons could be added to Rig Manager for my Toaster.

I don't care about the wireless feature but some posts on social media show what looks like a nicer UI.

External Content www.instagram.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It would be cool to see the UI in Rig Manager improved for when you are editing profiles. Any news there?

what is “nicer” about the UI? As far as I know the iPad version is almost a clone of the desktop version - other than the morph bar in the middle.

My apologies if I wasn't clear in my original post. I'm not trying to mislead anyone and never meant to imply that I was going to be selling the rigs I've been making for my live performances. My exercise in the experimentation was merely a "what if" that happened to work in my situation. I know how merged profiles are supposed to be made and have made plenty. I've also swapped cabs on studio profiles a ton. I am always looking for ways to fine tune things that I have or can create better tones to use in my live performances, from incorporating real drive pedals to swapping cabs, etc. I may have made the mistake in saying "merged rigs" (for lack of a longer, convoluted explanation) in my initial post, which wasn't really the whole point I was trying to make. I'm not making true merged rigs to sell, rather, I have been experimenting a lot and hit the "merge cab" button using direct profiles and my favorite cab block. To be clear, I've tried everything the "right" way and still looking for something more so I was just trying something I wouldn't normally do. I did get defensive when told that doing such things will "only lead to wrong results" when my ears tell me something entirely the opposite. And again, not recommending this method or even explaining why it works. I am just always looking for ways to make what I already have sound better. And like I said, it will have to stand up to rigorous stage testing too, which I haven't gotten to yet. "Nonsense" was just referring to feeling like I was having to defend my post on a Kemper subject when I clearly had many other things on my mind yesterday (son's graduation) which take precedence over the minutiae of semantics around kemper profiling. My apologies. I think the primary point of my post is just to give a "what I've been up to" in response to releasing new packs.

It’s all good Michael. Thank you for the clarification. I am sorry if anything in my posts left you feeling the need to defend yourself as that was never my intention.

The most important point in all of this is that your son just graduated. My two are 19 and 21 and I am looking forward to my daughter’s graduation in 2 years time. Family and friends are far more important than anything else.

best wishes

Alan

Yes, the manual days you can mix and match cabs with amps and no objection be is disputing that the results can be fantastic. However, that section is not talking about MERGED profiles which have a very specific meaning in Kemper terminology. I think the terminology is poor and this is what causes the confusion rather than anyone trying to be non transparent.

In Kemper's terminology a Merged profile is created by first making a full studio profile. Next making a Direct Amp Profile of the exact same amp and settings. Both are loaded into the buffer simultaneously and the KPA then compares them and SUBTRACTS the DIRECT AMP PROFILE from the full STUDIO PROFILE to leave only the SPEAKER from the STUDIO PROFILE as a new preset that can now be used with any amp.

I have no issues with how the amps and cabs are used. As long as the result sounds good to the person creating/using it everything is good. However, Kemper's choice of name for their separation tool has caused a lot of confusion for users over what it actually does.

Hi Michael, thanks for the update and congratulations on your son’s graduation.

Sorry to hear your singer left but hope the replacement and upcoming shows go fantastically well.

Your comments on merging certainly came as a surprise to me. I am definitely a firm believer in the “if it sounds good, it is good” philosophy. Many times doing something “wrong” gets the “right” result but as long as the end is good, who cares about the means use to achieve it.

It was interesting to hear you say that you were aiming to create something that doesn’t exist in the real world. I believe that digital gear can already recreate the real world to a level that future “improvements” will end up being more and more effort for less and less return. That is too say we are already way down the road of diminishing returns. In such a situation it seems logical to exploit the potential that digital offers for innovation BEYOND simply replication.

Having said all of that, there is clearly a lot of confusion around merged profiles in general. While I am sure you fully understand the subtractive nature of the merging process, a great many users have no understanding of this and therefore packs with MERGED profiles can be a real lottery. Each profiler is selling something different but calling it the same thing. I am not suggesting that is your fault or theirs. In fact I strongly believe that Kemper are to blame in this instance for naming a process which REMOVES a cab from a STUDIO profile; MERGING.

The confusion stems from the fact that the process of creating a MERGED profile takes a full signal path (Studio Profile) and SUBTRACTS the cabinet from it by using the Direct Amp Profile as a reference signal. The new cabinet only preset can then be combined with the Direct Amp Profile of the same Studio rig to give a theoretically accurate split between Amp and Cab instead of the estimated split that Cab Driver creates. Many users (including some high profile commercial vendors) don’t realise this is the actual process being used and sell any combined rig as a MERGED profile. However, users who are actually buying MERGED profiles are typically doing so specifically because they want the accurate split between Amp and Cab to let them use their traditional cab on stage. Clearly, as you have pointed out with you “innovation” approach, there are other uses that can result in great sounds. However, if you are going to sell these profiles in future I personally believe it would be helpful to not call them MERGED profiles but, instead, come up with your own innovative name for them to avoid adding to the confusion that already exists. If someone with your high profile and held in such high regard within the Kemper community was to launch a pack containing MERGED profiles that conflict with Kemper’s definition in the manual it would only muddy the waters further.

I do not mean anything I have said to be condescending or critical. I am one of those users who holds you in high regard and has found your profiles to be among my favourites ever. Your ‘69 Marshall profiles actually taught me to love Marshalls after 30 years of hating them. Now that amp is one of my go to rigs! Also, your D Style pack is simply killer - that Ceriatone clone is a wonderful sounding amp ???

When you combine two signals you get a n increase in volume of around 6db. When you do this via a stereo track I’m fairly sure the DAW does some adjustments to remove this effect as it knows you are really sending one big signal. However, when you send the two signals to two separate tracks the DAW doesn’t know that you mean them to be one big track so doesn’t do it adjustment.

I haven’t tried any Bareface stuff but I have several bass player friends who swear by their bass cabs. They seem to make really top quality stuff without totally bursting the bank.

I noticed that they have a 9ne month trial period which might be worth taking advantage of. My biggest concern would be the real firing tweeter could cause phase problems unless positioned carefully in relation to the back wall but I presume they have done extensive testing with it and found it works OK.

the only other thing that would concern me a little if I wanted to run Imprints is that the DSP in the KPA is designed to work with the Kone. The F12-X200 is a totally different speaker so imprints won’t sound as expected. Some people have tried it and feel they like the sound of them though so again, the only way to know whether it works for you is to try it.

I would be interested to hear how you get on but just out of curiosity as I’m really happy with my Powered Head and passive Kabinet.

I think this is exactly what I'm unclear about. How do you imagine that?

I onow this isn’t what you want to hear but the only real answer is “experience”. You just need to do it often enough to get a feel for it. Unfortunately, there isn’t a single right way to do it solution.

You need to get you Studio profiles for FOH to sound as good as possible on the flattest possible monitoring solution in a decent sounding room. If a profile sounds good on good studio monitors in a decent room it will “translate” well to other environments. It will never sound the same in all environments but it will be a good starting point for fine tuning (via the FOH desk) for as many situations as possible.

Forget about trying to make impulses through the Kabinet sound the same as FOH; it won’t happen and it isn’t even desirable in most cases. You need your onstage sound to be clear for you and often this means that your guitar will need to poke through the other instruments enough to really jump out at you. However, for an FOH mix you want your guitar to sit in the overall band mix and not stand out too much or get lost either. How your guitar sits in the overall mix has as much(if not more) to do with the room you are playing too as it does with the basic sounds themselves. In fact the mix at sound check often sounds nothing like the mix once the room fills with people. Good engineers allow for this during soundcheck through experience- they have done it often enough to know how the sound will change when people fill the room. However, even these allowances are only a rough guess that they still tweak during the first few songs.

Or do you even mic the cab instead of sending a signal from the Kemper to the mixer?

The Kemper Kone isn’t suitable for close micing (which is the only viable sort of micing on stage) so you definitely don’t want to go down that route.