Posts by Wheresthedug

as long as you aren't feeding the same signal to the input of the F-30 you should be fine. The problem most people encounter with a parallel loop is phase cancellation between the direct and Fx signal paths. If you don’t have a direct path there shouldn’t be anything to cause cancellations.

You still save your own presets by dragging the FX block to the Presets window in RM and dropping them there. Unfortunately there is no save preset button or key command and no way to name the preset when saving. You need to locate the dropped preset then name it afterwards.

I think what Paul is suggesting is to place the H9 at the and of the chain between the Monitor Out/Direct Out and the BAM/PowerKab no the main stereo outs of the Kemper. The Kemper won’t know any difference between being connected directly to the amps or via the H9. The only problem with this is that the H9 signal will only be a available for monitoring. It won’t be sent to FOH.

Hm you don't get the option to change the name away from Output Preset when storing?

No, there is no option to store Output Settings in Rig Manager. Only drag and drop with no ability to name until after dropping. You can name on the Profiler itself but not in RM as the official methodology is drag and drop where ever possible. I try to avoid reaching for the mouse unless in absolutely need to so the ability to save/copy/paste etc with key commands would be a very welcome option but even the ability to store from a mouse click which brings up a name field would be welcome.

and that the naming convention for presets should not allow multiple presets of the same name.

Totally agree. Just made a couple of output presets and they are all called "Output Preset". Now I need to locate them in RM and open each one to check what it is before renaming it. Just allowing the ability to name at the point of saving would be a massive help.

By the way, one reason why I always prefer a Kemper Rack or Toaster to the Kemper Stage is that I can save entire effects sections as presets,

even if the rig manager does not support this.

Totally agree on this one. Removing the ability to save and use effect section presets was a strange backward step which I wish they would rethink.

that sounds reasonable .. but so i'm not trippin, there isn't a way to have the Kabinet in Kone mode with a master mono adn have the monitor output set to sth different (stack or guit studio) ? The monitor out is always the same output as the Speaker out on the powered Kemper ?

You're not trippin' :)

Monitor Out and Speaker Out are always the same.

The main thing I would like to see changed in the Output Presets is that I really want to be able to store Power Amp On/Off status. For me this is one of the main reasons for using presets and not being able to save it makes no sense to me. I have read Kemper's logic for why it isn't included but I still think it would be much more useful to allow power amp status to be saved.

I'm very interested: Do you have experience with a real Plexi and Greenbacks? How does the imprint compare to your ears?

no. Although I had a vintage 1960A cab with pre-rola greenbacks I only ever used it with my Mesa’s. My main amp for most of that time was a Rev G Dual Rectifier. To be honest I never liked the combination of the Recto and the Greenbacks so the cabinet actually sat in a cupboard for nearly a decade. I sold it about 8 years ago so any experience/recollection I may have is definitely clouded by the passage of time.

Also: I exaclty know, when the Client (Producer) see all this presets it will end up in a never ending tryout. But you get payed by record not by houre or kemper tryout session.

This wins the internet for the day :D

Reminds me of the "client fader" where the engineer gives the client a fader that does nothing and lets them make their own changes :D

Thanks WTD, so outside specific situation what is the combination of controls that allows me to steadily/globally use Studio profiles with the Kone set in FR mode?
    It seems this is not possible outside individual rigs settings

Kemper Kone Enabled, Monitor Cabinet Off Disabled would achieve this at a global level.

If you want to be able to have some rigs FRFR and some with Imprints then you need to Enable Monitor Cab Off and select the appropriate version in the Cabinet section of the Stack. Full Range Mode for FRFR and a specific Imprint or (use global imprint) for the Imprint rigs.

I've just had a chance to try A/B comparisons between the rigs yor were referring to using imprints and full range.

To me the Imprint of the Greenback actually sounds better than the Full Range studio profile through the Kabinet but tone is clearly subjective.

What you are hearing is almost certainly just the fact that imprints are intended to capture the sound of the "speaker" as if you were standing in front of it (NO MIC involved). However, the rig in the MBritt pack is a profile of the full signal chain including mics. What you are hearing in Michael's profile isn't his 25w Greenbacks but rather his Greenbacks through a mic. This is fundamentally different than standing in front of the speaker so it isn't surprising that the imprint sounds different.

The difference between the imprint on stage and the studio profile going to FOH is really no different than the situation where you hear a valve amp on stage but the audience hear a valve amp being mic'ed out front through the PA. We never really worried about this in the old days when we were standing in front of our amps but even back then the onstage sound and FOH sound were different. The closest way to hear what the audience is hearing is to use FRFR speakers on stage and listen to the Studio profile. Imprints were created because some players don't like that sound though. It is always going to be a compromise and sometimes you need to choose the least worst option.

bb7ed934222f875bcada456521b25afd25585b50 interesting review. There are a few points that I think need clarification.

The reason “Kemper doesn’t want you to” mic the Kabinet is because it has two speaker cones. Micing these can cause phasing issues. Basically a dual cone speaker isn’t suitable for close micing. They say that quite clearly in the manual.

The only legitimate comparison between the Kone and a real amp is to use a room mic. You explained this in the video by saying that the room mic sounded closest (very close) to the real amp. This isn’t an accident. Having, done A/B comparisons with my unpowered Kabinet/powered Head against valve amps,I would agree that the in the room sound is very close when comparing to a traditional closed back 112 cab. Obviously, the speaker is only part of the equation and a single Kone in a small cabinet will never sound the same in the room as 4 speakers in a huge box.

You made a comparison with IR which (to me at least) implied you thought the Imprints were a similar thing but an IR always has a mic as part of the chain (similar to a Studio profile) whereas the Imprints were specifically designed to give that “amp in the room” sound which doesn’t have a mic in the chain.

You also alluded to the fact that you thought it a little strange that Kemper “don’t want” you to be able to send imprints to FOH so they are only available for onstage monitoring. Again, this is specifically the design intent of the Kone/Imprints; to let you experience the traditional amp on stage sound while letting the FOH have a miced sound that sits in the mix with other instruments. This isn’t any different than playing with a traditional valve amp in terms of the different sounds onstage vs FOH.

The handle is that thin so that the Kemper Head can sit securely on top. It isa good example of joined up design. If the strap was thicker it would cause the feet on the bottom of the head to be too short and would no longer be secure. Before I got the KPA my main amp was a Mesa Dual Rectifier. It was designed to sit on top of a 4x12 cabinet with no top handle. However, I hate 4x12 cabs so use a pair of Mesa thiele 1x12 EVL12M cabs or a Rectifier 2x12 both of which had handles on top. The way the amp rocked was a major pain in the ass.

why wouldn’t you take the toaster to a gig? It is a brilliantly designed piece of gear for stage use. As for cost, even the toaster casts a lot kess than many of the valve amps we all lugged around B.K. (Before Kemper).

If you are happy with your tones from the toaster why compromise?

Just as a point of reference. I had to get rid of a Victory V30 because even the 1/4w power setting (yes 0.25 watts) was too loud to get the power amp working in a bedroom setting ?.

I am not an electrical expert but my layman’s understanding says that power input used to drive the amp is proportional to the power output driving the speakers. I am sure it won’t be a linear 1:1 relationship but in principle, if you don’t have the amp running full tilt you aren’t going to be consuming maximum energy on the input.

Think of it like a car. A Ferarri can do 200 mph and when doing so will drink petrol like crazy. However, if you drive it at 60mph it will use a lot less fuel. Of course it will never be as frugal as a Fiat Punto but it doesn’t need to consume fuel at its maximum capacity unless you like slamming the accelerator.

DXR10 have a volume knob so I wouldn’t worry about it.

I’ve had similar issues many times. However, restarting RM has always refreshed the rig names to the correct state. It seems to be some sort of sync issue and it really threw my the first time. It happened. But now I just know to restart RM and I don’t worry too much as I’m going.