Posts by Wheresthedug

I am not an expert on this stuff so hopefully someone more experienced like lightbox or Monkey_Man will chime in with a better answer. In the meantime, here is my best effort.

If you have SPDIF above 0 you are going to get clipping. In the digital world 0db is measured on the dbFS scale which means decibel Full Scale. This is the highest point possible before clipping. If you lower the signal level you create more headroom not less.

I’m not sure what you are hearing as headroom and punch but it is probably some form of distortion although digital clipping from exceeding 0dbFS is not usually considered a pleasant experience in the same way as driving analog gear into distortion is.

With a real tube amp, which has consistent characteristics going out to FOH all night long, you can absolutely be sure that what you’re hearing on stage is **closer** to what the audience is hearing. Not exact of course, but reasonably close.

This is not the case if you are using a Kemper through a traditional guitar cab, but sending studio profiles of different amps, with different cab emulations, out to FOH. It will still sound good to the audience, but it will be much less consistent and you will have less of an idea of what they’re hearing.

And that’s why people use FRFR speakers, to get **closer** to what is happening out front. Unfortunately my experiments with that setup leave me wanting, and I’m unwilling at this point to keep throwing money at the problem.

sorry Cal but your logic is 180 degrees out of phase.

The Kemper approach will be closer and most importantly more consistent, not only throughout the night but also from night to night. Which is why so many major league touring acts are/have switched to digital solutions. They know that onstage sound is important up to a point but it is FOH that generates the revenue

Valve amps aren’t consistent all night long. The sound varies as the valves heat up etc. The effect may be minor in most cases but can be significant in others.

In order to have an apples to apples comparison though you would need to have the same Kemper Amp and Cab going to FOH all night long. Which many people actually do. You can’t make the comparison of a mic in front of a single cab being driven by the same valve amp all night against a Kemper setup which changes amp and cab throughout the gig. The valve amp scenario only has one core sound to send to FOH. Therefore, you can only compare it to a single Rig Kemper performance to decide which is more consistent. The answer is always going to be the Kemper.

Just because you CAN change amp and cab on the Kemper (but can’t on the traditional rig) doesn’t mean you have to. If you want the best, most consistent and closest to your onstage sound to hit the audience through FOH the Kemper wins hands down every single time because it removes one of the biggest contributors ( mic placement) from the equation.

Now, whether you think the Kemper tone and feel on stage is better/worse/same as the traditional rig is a totally different argument and is definitely a matter of personal taste. We all have different tastes and that’s good, variety is the spice of life, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and all that.

I wonder if this could be a SPDIF Auto issue as the KPA can now be set to Auto. Perhaps it is ending up with a situation where your computer thinks the KPA is master and KPA thinks Computer is master. I remember how confused I was when I first had a total loss of sound. It turned out that my Interface was set to slave to the KPA but the KPA was turned off so not audio worked including iTunes, Spotify etc.

Yes, I know you can search all content including Rig Exchange and Factory Content but that often yields too many results to be useful without the inclusion of multi level searches.

It is all or nothing at the moment. A better solution would be the offer the ability to search a folder including all content in sub folders. Without this sub folders can be more of a hindrance than a help.

I'm thinking of removing all profile vendor related folders and just having a master commercial profiles folder with everything in it. A second folder for my own profiles and possibly a folder for edited rigs.

although I created individual folders for each profiler (MBritt, Tone Junkie, BHP etc) and copied everything into the appropriate folder I actually think it might be better to not use folders at all. Why? Because RM cannot currently perform searches on sub folders. Therefore, if I want to find a Matchless Chieftain rig for example I can’t just enter Chief in the search menu and find all Chieftain rigs. The search only shows the rigs in the currently selected folder so I need to know which folder it is in before looking which defeats the point of a search.

So far I have removed all rig pack folders but left profiler folders. For example I have a Tone Junkie folder with every single rig from the Everything Pack in the same folder level (not individual amp folders). That way, if I know I want a Tone Junkie rig I can go to the folder and search all his rigs. I still need to know which profile creator I am looking for and search multiple folders rather than just a single search. I have held off from removing all folders so far in the hope that sub folder searches would be added but think my next move is now going to be to remove all profile creator folders too.

The key point as you mention is that with a regular set up, the FOH sound does not sound like on stage sound - we as guitarists never worried about this previously. Our focus was on stage sound because that was what we miked up. what's most important is...it never will. Not a KPA issue its the same with every set up.

This. Many people make comments about wanting to use a miced guitar cab for FOh because they will know what it sounds like out front. This is clearly nonsense, the sound on stage when miced often bears little resemblance to what the audience hears out front especially when the stage crew move mics for different bands between between sound check and show. I have even had the situation where the stage crew forgot to put the mic back on the cabinet after the first band and nobody noticed until several songs into the set ? Also had too many instances where an SM57 slipped on the stand and was pointing directly at the floor instead of the speaker. The KPA removes all of that and ensures that FOH get the sound I want them to get. What they do after that to make it sit in the mix is beyond my control but I trust them to make it sound good as that’s their job. The fewer uncontrollable variables in the chain the better.

In fairness, as the years go by I also find that I'm much less judgmental of such things compared to the days of my youth when I knew everything (despite a total life experience of twenty some-odd years) and could confidently sit in judgement of all wrong.

Much like the old story that says “when I was 20 and my father was 40 I thought he was an idiot. Now I am 40 and he is 60 I am amazed at how much he has learned in the last 20 years.” ?

I am one of those weirdos who hates using a mouse unless absolutely necessary. I would far rather you keyboard shortcuts to get things done accurately and quickly without the fatigue of hovering over a mouse.

In most software I use, such as my DAW, there is an option for users to assign their own custom keyboard commands.

I would love to see this added to RM also.

I totally agree with the original comment. It drives me mad but as Ruefus said the work around is to open two RM windows and drag between them.

If you use staggered tuners - no need for string trees - I have no string trees on either my Strat or Tele ... it also helps a lot with "behind the nut" string bending :)

Yes, I have Sperzel on my Levinson Blade and they work well even though the Blade has String Trees can be used if you choose to.

but, to be fair, Leo never designed it that way back in the 50’s ?

The shift button works OK for setting values but if entering values is not in the cards I wish a double click could sen the value to absolute zero. That's the hardest for me to hit between the + & - zero that it seems to want to jump to.

Right Click brings up the option to rest to default or reset to 0.