Posts by Wheresthedug

If I understand correctly you are saying that even if you use a known working pedal in each slot it will work in slots 3 and 5 but not. 4 and 6. If that is the case you can rule out the pedal or cable as the cause. This only leaves a setting or a hardware fault in the Kemper. I would contact Support and raise ticket.

It sounds awful: only a l ot of squeaking en no audible wah. The pedal is quite new so why does it sound so bad. Is it the way it's connected to the profiler or has it something to do with the fx chain?

the only time I get this behaviour from my Crybaby is when I plug the cables in the wrong way round (guitar into Amplified side and Amp into Instrument side). There have been several times when I’ve stared at my pedal convinced it was broken only to find out that I had plugged in wrong ?‍♂️

If a rig has an effect you like just drag the effect into the Presets Folder of RM. This will save the Effect Preset only and now make it available to ruse with any rig you choose at a later date. Effectively, every TJ (or any other profilier’s) rig is a set of potential FX presets as well as an amp profile.

I’m not at my KPA just now to try your way. The only difference between your process and mine is that I creat my performances in RM Local Library folder rather than the MyProfiler folder. I’ll try a new performance in MyProfiler when I get a chance.

Is your KPA in Performance mode and Does the screen show LIB when you are making the performance?

but was the performance you were editing actually highlighted orange and showing on the KPA screen as LIB? If not, ot doesn’t matter what we expect to happen it still isn’t going to work.

I agree that the workflow isn’t intuitive but I have found it pretty robust as long as I do it correctly.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

One of my favourite tracks ever. Beck’s ytouch and control are just sublime ?

got to love an old Volvo. Just googled the PV544 ????

RM screwed up one of my performances just yesterday using latest version. I successfully used the same worflow to fill in first four slots. When I tried to insert fill in 5th slot, fourth slot contained what what fifth should, fifth slot had what fourth now had (both slots ended up containing the same rig), but fifth slot ended up being called... Crunch out of blue. Performance management is still broken as far as I am concerned and I have all patience in the world and ocean of good. I used various products in the past, both cheaper and more expensive, but performance management in RM is by far the least trustworthy feature and you can't just say it is a user error. User does same thing over and over getting random results and losing work.

are you double clicking to load the performance into the edit buffer or just creating a new performance then starting to edit? I had lots of issues with totally screwed up performances. Support said they couldn’t recreate the fault so I sent them a video to show I wasn’t making it up. They politely pointed out that it as user error.

my workflow was:

Right click to create new performance.

The newly created performance was highlighted dark green. I assumed it was ready to start working on. However, UNLESS you double click on the new performance to load it and turn the highlight orange you aren’t actually in edit mode. In this situation you are actually making changes to the last selected performance.

Hit save. The changes I had made were actually saved to the previously selected performance NOT the new performance. Therefore, I got one screwed up performance (the old one) and one performance with just the Default Crunch rig (which is expected behaviour as RM didn’t know that I wanted to edit the new performance).

I totally agree this is a weid form of logic and a totally unintuitive workflow. I would naturally assume (as I expect other do) that creating a new performance automatically loads it into the edit buffer ready to start editing but it doesn’t. Once I learned about the need for that all improve extra Double Click everything worked fine and has continued to do so ever since.

Yes, i recognize that, but still.... Too much of a disparity. Seems like there should be a built-in provision for normalizing profiles.

yes, that’s exactly what clean sense is.

Clean Sense only goes so far to get it closer, but i feel like i'm doing something wrong when i use it—as if i'm 'cheating' and adding some sort of technical, digital 'crutch' that doesn't give me the full audio quality. Like when you use the Digital Zoom feature on a camera—you do increase your 'reach,' but the pixels aren't the same quality as when you use an Optical Zoom. Knowhatimean?

You’re not cheating. That’s what it’s for.

So, back to practicals—do you guys have to do the same thing with every preset you load? If you get a pack, you scroll through them, and for each one, you have to adjust levels? Which 'level/volume' control do you work with FIRST? Which is the LAST resort?

No, I need to run Clean Sense at -5db or less to stop my clean profiles being too loud relative to distorted profiles. I typically have clean sense at between-5 to -6db (it’s not that picky so anywhere in that range works for me) then lock the input menu to have the setting applied to everything without the nedd to tweak individual rigs much at all.

Unfortunately, I’ve suffered from droopy Wah syndrome on a few occasions and it’s not fun. Even with a bit a grace I personally wouldn’t ever rely on bypass at heel. With a little grace range I could probably trust bypass@toe but a toe switch if fail safe and feels like using a real Crybaby which I prefer in a performance situation. However, the fact that the KPA allows the user to choose how they want to bypass the wah is a great thing and lets each user set their system to suit their personal tastes ??

Also, my observation is that 80% of the profiles all sound the same, which I find frustrating.

That’s not really surprising. The speaker is a MASSIVE part of the sound and in many cases makes a bigger contribution than the amp. Therefore, using the same cabinet with all profiles will tend to make things sound very similar. That is where FRFR really shines. However, the downside of FRFR is that many people find they don’t have the same “amp in the room” sound and just don’t bond with them.

The Kone is potentially a best of both worlds. I really like what it does but I’m not a metal player. The guys who don’t like it tend to be metal players as far as I can see. I think the problem they often encounter is using the Kone in a small 1x12 cabinet (like the Kemper Kabinet) and expecting it to sound like a Marshall or Mesa 412. That isn’t the speaker’s fault but rather the restrictions of the cabinet.

The only way to know whether FRFR or Kone will work for you is to try them in person. Tone is too much of a personal thing for other people’s opinions (including mine) to be much help.

The behaviour you describe is definitely not normal. The output from the KPA is very hot and often needs to be turned down or padded to play nicely with other gear so you shouldn’t need o boost anything to get a useable level.

There is almost no difference between boosting the Amp Volume and the Rig Volume (except where there is an effect with is volume sensitive such as a Compressor after the Stack section). In general I would boost Rig Volume instead of Amp volume unless you are going to be using a compressor or OD after the Stack and want a specific effect.

Clean Sense is a very important and useful feature which is used to balance the global perceived level between clean and dirty sounds. With it set low clean sounds will be quieter relative to dirty sounds. With it set high clean sounds will be louder relative to dirty sounds. The perceived balance between these is affected by various things including guitar pickup output. However, it is unlikely that Clean Sense would cause the issues you describe.

Distortion Sense adjusts the level of gain at a global level for dirty sounds only. It is a way of adjusting for very weak or very powerful pickups. It affects the perception of gain but doesn’t change volume so, again, this is unlikely to be causing your problems.

I would forget SPDIF and your interface just now in order to help troubleshoot with as few variables as possible. Plug your Main Out L+R directly into the Mackies and start following the signal chain. Also check on headphones directly from the KPA HP output.

1 - with guitar plugged straight into interface and using a DAW amp plugin is everything normal? If so the we can rule out the guitar, cables, monitors and cables between interface and monitors.

2 - with monitors plugged straight into the KPA is it still really quiet? If yes then suggests KPA setting. If everything works OK with KPA directly to Monitors then start looking at interface settings.

3 - with headphones plugged plugged into the KPA is it still really quiet?

I sounds like you have a setting messed up in the output menu. What are the output controls set to? Are the all showing 0db or -Xdb? Which ones change when you turn the master volume knob? You can decide which outputs are controlled by the Master Volume knob so you may have a level low and the volume knob unlinked.

What output signal is being sent to each output. At this stage (for troubleshooting) I would set everything to Master Stereo.

Do you have any FX engaged? If so do you have the Volume of the FX turned down?

Follow the signal path through methodically.

There must be something in your environment causing fluctuations of the electrical resistance, which are consequently interpreted as moves by the PROFILER.

not necessarily. The pedals can losen over time and start drooping. I’ve had it happen with several pedals including my Mission and a Dunlop Wah as well as a Morley wah. Tightening them often helps but only for a short time. Basically I won’t trust anything other than a toe switch for live use.

You are using an IR cab pack with the Kemper? Why?

On page 6 of the Output option menu is where you set your SPDIF clock. I'm pretty sure you can re-amp with any clock frequency you want, so long as it matches what recorded freq was.

you can set the clock to any rate you like but anything other than 44.1 adds some latency to the SPDIF signal compared to the analog signal which can be an issue for some people.

I hear ya Gary. I have mine locked in Stomp A all the time for that reason (as well as the toe switch needs to be tied to the same stomp). However, I can’t get on with bypass@......... I need to physically stamp on a switch to feel like I’m using a Wah ? Also, pedals and bouncy stages scare me when I’m relying on a pedal not moving to avoid accidental Wah syndrome. I’ve had it turn on randomly before because the pedal slipped a little.

You could add a second power anp and set the Monitor Out to Stereo. You would then connect the second amp to the Direct Out.

Alternatively do the same thing but use a stereo power amp with one side connected to the Monitor Output instead of the Speaker Out.