Posts by Wheresthedug

Thanks..!!

I'll have to look how to do this.

Seems that I can't just put my cable in one of each and connect to FocusRite.

Correct. A lot of people who are used to some other gear which automatically sums signals if only one input is used wrongly assume the Kemper will do this too. It doesn’t. If you only plug into one side without setting the output to Mono you will lose half the signal. This is easily verified by setting up a ping pong effect and hitting a chord. You will hear that half the repeats are missing unless output is set to mono.

Wah > Volume doesn’t do what you seem to think it does. Wah is always Wah and Volume is always Volume etc UNLESS you have the .... >..... ticked. When this is ticked it means that Wah will always be Wah unless no Wah is active (ie loaded in the rig AND turned on). If no Wah is active the Wah pedal becomes a Volume pedal instead. This means the Wah/Volume setting is rig specific.

If you have Wah > Volume and Wah > Pitch selected it will be a Wah and/or Pitch if these are active otherwise it will be a Volume. Again the rig otself will dictate how the Wah pedal functions.

As for the Switches, these are tied to a physical location. Therefore, if you have a dual switch with switch A set to toggle Stomp D and Switch B set to toggle FX Mod for example these buttons will always toggle whichever effect is loaded in those slots. If you use a midi controller or the Kemper Remote you can easily assign switches on a rig by rig basis. The external switch option is more useful for specific functions that never need to change like turning tuner on/off or a go to defaul boost/OD that is loaded in every rig.

Hi everyone, newbie here. I cannot figure out how I can save the main out EQ settings within the rig once I dial it in. I've tried it in Rig Manager and it just acts as a global tweak for every rig. I've tried it on the kemper itself when I store the rig. I'm sure I'm overlooking something....

thanks in advance!

You can’t as Output menu is a Global Setting which doesn’t change with rigs.

You can make output presets but these are still global so don’t change with rigs.

You can balance the Kemper to your guitar easily by using Clean Sense and Distortion Sense in the Input Menu. If you use the same guitar or guitars with similar output pickups you can then lock the Input Menu so you don’t need to reset it for every ry rig.

First I would take a few clean rigs and a few dirty rigs and compare their relative loudness. If they are well balanced then leave Clean Sense alone. If all the clean sounds are too loud compared to dirty sounds then reduce Clean Sense until they are balanced. If Clean Souns are too quiet then increase Clean Sense.

Once you have this set focus on the Distortion Sense. If the rigs are too gained out across the board then reduce Distortion Sense until they sound good.

The Wah can be in any position you want and can vary from rig to rig. However, a few things to consider;

Wah is generally used early in the signal chain and is rarely used after the amp so slot X for example would be a very unusual place to put it.

Although the Wah effect can be placed anywhere from rig to rig, if you want to use the Toe Switch to turn the Wah on and off, this needs to be in the same position in every rig.

I have tried Beringer FCB1010 and RJM Mastermind. Both work well and in many ways are much more flexible than the Remote. However, I ended up going for the Remote as it is just so easy to use with the KPA; no messing around with midi programming just plug and play.

If you only need to control the KPA nothing bears the Remote in my option. BUT if you need to control other midi devices then go for a dedicated midi controller. Which one depends on budget and personal needs. Do you only need midi control or do you want to integrate analog pedals too? If you want to use pedals then RJM Mastermind PBC or GigRig G3 are the two that spring to mind. If you don’t need pedal loops then RJM Mastermind GT is a great choice but I know others ave good things to say about Gordius etc.

Since I had only used the transpose with headphones or at loud rehearsal I thought I was going crazy! Stupid physical reality tricked me!

I think we have all be there. I even had the issue with headphones. It was driving me crazy that I could still hear the original pitch along with the transposed note even at high volume through headphones. Then I realised that my headphone cable was touching the body of the guitar and acting like the old string an papercup “telephones” we used to make as kids ?‍♂️

I need some help here. Should this be my next guitar? :). It's a late 80's.

Obviously the answer is YES!

I hate thin necks (PRS wide fat or full on baseball bat for me) and even I would buy that ?

Never had a proper Floyd and have never seen the need for a full locking trem but I would still buy that.

Its a Jem from the ‘80’s and I can actually remember when they came out. A timeless classic. Buy it now I insist ?

Is there any practical difference between using Rig Volume versus Amp Volume? In other words, is one better than the other for any reason?

The only difference is where you load an effect which is volume sensitive (like compressor) after the Stack section. Try this as an experiement and you will see what I mean:

Select a Rig and load it into two slots of a Performance (to enable quick A/B comparisons)

Now make a major volume change (say +10db) to highlight what is happening. Make this change in Slot A with the Amp Volume and in Slot B with the Rig Volume. Save the changes.

Now add a compressor in FX Module X. Setting don't matter too much but make sure it is a fairly noticeable amount of compression to highlight the effect of the volume change. Save the performance again.

Play something and switch back and forth between the to Rigs. You should find that the Amp Volume boost doesn't get much louder as the compressor catches the volume boost and compresses it. Whereas, the Rig Volume version gets significantly louder as the volume boost happens at the end of the signal path after the compressor.

Not all FX are volume sensitive though. It is tempting to thing that the Delay or Reverb would get overloaded by turning up the Amp volume but this doesn't happen. If you put the same Delay in both Rig versions you will notice that the delay repeats sound the same in both cases.

listen carefully and assess whether it is general level differences or whether the differences are between clean and overdriven tones. If clean rigs are consistently too loud or two quiet relative to distorted rigs adjust the clean sense parameter in the input menu first rather than tweak every rig individually. However, if the issue isn’t consistent between clean and dirty rigs then you need to do as Burkhard said and adjust Rig Volume or Amp Volume on each rig and save the changes.