Posts by Wheresthedug

That sounds strange. I haven’t personally noticed anything like this. A clip would be helpful.

As it only happens in certain rigs I would start troubleshooting one of those by turning off everything except the Stack Section. If it is still there then I would go through each parameter to try and isolate what is causing it.

Some ideas that spring to mind include,

Noise Gate in the input section might be higher in those rigs and is getting confused with the lower input of a rolled back volume.

Definition,Pick or Clarity set very high

I’m just thinking out loud at this stage but might be worth starting there.

As Roeffel said, its a mater of personal taste.

I played for 30 years with a Mesa head a a pair of 112 cabs. I loved the sound and feel of the thump and trouser flapping air movements but I could never get the guitar to sit right in the onstage mix where I could hear myself without drowning out everything else. Then I got the KPA. I bought powered because I thought I would end up using a real guitar cab. I did a few gigs that way and it was OK. Then I went full in ears and it was a revelation. All of a sudden I could hear everything properly. The only down side is that the singer sometimes likes to hear a real cab on stage so I was running the mesa 112 so low that I couldn’t hear it over the IEM but it kept the singer happy. I now have a Kone as well but haven’t had a chance to gig with it due to COVID but it sounds amazing at home so far.

So, I don’t want to adjust the input section. I want a humbucker equipped guitar to be hotter than a single coil guitar.

I agree with nearly ever you said. I personally rarely touch the input settings either but I can understand why it may be necessary to do so with the Kemper even though you wouldn’t do it with a “real” amp.

the difference is that the Kemper has a built in automtic level match for clean and dirty sounds. I believe CK said this was a by product of the way the KPA was designed to get maximum performance from signal to noise ratio. Therefore, hitting the front end with a hotter or cooler signal can adversely affect the balance between clean and dirty rigs (or simply riding the volume control as you would on something like a Plexi). The Clean Sense and Distortion Sense can be used to compensate for this and allow the KPA to perform like the real amp would.

Now I have to figure out how to go from clean to dirty using one rig without having to click the foot controller thru rigs during a take. I remember reading the Parallel Path setting for the stomps section can increase/decrease gain with maybe my exp pedal. Any other way to do that? Go from clean to crunch/dirty smoothly without clicking a distortion stomp on?

as others have said, using the guitar volume or morph for gain work very well. The guitar volume option works exactly like it would on a real amp with those settings. However, if you want to be able to doit without reaching for the guitar’s volume knob during a take you can use a volume pedal placed before the Stack. You can even set thos with a minimum value greater than 0 so that heel position corresponds to your clean sound rather than silence.

On a separate note, you seem to have a fixation with Parallel Path ? While it has some uses I don’t think it is the most appropriate solution for some of the situations you have described so far. Try just using the Direct Mix in the stack section (manual P147) to add that clean attack instead of creating a separate parallel path.

Can't an unpowered Kemper send a main out signal with cab unlinked from the volume control to the board and Monitor out controlled by volume knob to powered speaker or amp/cab? I don't understand any disadvantages besides having to lug a power amp or heavier powered speaker around.

I think Guy is saying that with an unpowered KPA you may need to adjust volume from the external power amp or powered monitor which may ot be situated in as convenient a spot. Adjusting the volume knob on the KPA itself may send a sub optimal level to the input of the next stage and either clip the inout or have poor signal to noise.

That means I need to make a choice: Do I want to get the best sound through the Kabinet or does the audience get the best sound. As I said before, the first option would be the obvious choice... So when it comes to live playing with a PA, I assume that studio and merged profiles are the much better choice than direct profiles.

I wouldn't see that as the obvious choice at all. You are playing for the audience so always make sure they get the best sound.

You will never get the same sound with imprints as the full Studio profile going to FOH. The imprints are intended to sound like standing in front of a real cabinet (no mic used). Whereas Studio or Merged profiles being sent to FOH are intended to sound like a guitar cab with a mic in front.

These are very different things.

The difference between on stage and FOH with the Kemper is exactly the same as it always was with a valve amp and speaker cabinet with a mic in front.

If you want to have the audience hear exactly what you are hearing then you need to hear the full FOH studio profile through a good FRFR. Some people don't like the feel and/or sound of FRFR so accept the on stage and FOH sound wil be different.

Yes I would expect it to work very well.

There are some great bass amp profiles for your electric. For the stand up you might wabt to just bypass the Stack section or load a profile of a good mic preamp/mixer channel strip to give it some extra character.

Main outs to FOH at appropriate kevel for desk then forget about it.

Unlink main outs from Volume knob.

Send Monitor out to stage cab and link to volume knob.

Now you can control onstage level without affecting FOH.

Kemper Support #1 thanks. Tht is certainly the way it does operate but I was under the impression from previous discussions with Burkhard that the shut down routine should remember the position at the point of closing down and reboot with the KPA in the same state. Therefore, if the VP was in the heel position when closing down the KPA would reboot with volume at 0 (or whatever value corresponds to the heel position of the VP). Even in this state you would still need to move the VP to have the KPA recognise the current physical position of the pedal but the default start up would match the position at close down. This has never been the case for me so I assume I have misunderstood what Burkhard was saying. To be honest it isn’t a major problem so I just accept it but it would be nice if it worked the way I described.

The offsets I'm referring to is simply the ability to set the baseline (such as A=440) +/-99 cents globally.

Sweetened tunings is another bag of badgers, but Sweetened GTR and BASS for starters.

You can already set the baseline although not by the full 99 cents. You can adjust the reference tone between 424hz and 456hz at the moment. I think that equates to +/-50 cents but could be wrong. In that case you can achieve a full semitone of change by going either up a 1/4 tone or down a 1/4 tone.