Posts by Wheresthedug

On several occasions I selected one of my profiles with all the fields completed as a Reference Rig but when I profiled the new rig I got random Rig information that was driving me mad. I think I finally figured it out while doing some profiling yesterday. I was turning the Chicken Head knob in stages from Browse to Performance then Profile. I think I was accidentally loading the first rig in Performance mode as my reference rig - DOH!!!

Moral of the story when you have loaded the reference rig in Browse mode make sure you turn it straight to Profile - go straight to jail do not pass go do not collect £200 :-)

Yes, get as many different sounds as you want/like out of the Vox and make a new profile of each.

The gain is the Kemper's estimate of how much gain is in the amp itself. You increase the gain while profiling by driving the amp harder. I imagine if the gain is showing as almost zero in Rig Manager it's a clean sound.

"By the way, when you scroll through the list of Effect Presets using the Browse Knob, you can also use the Rig Navigation Cross."

Thanks. I did know that already but it's still a pain. Even a really simple filter option like with rigs would be a MASSIVE improvement. I know all the effects types are grouped together but being able to only see the presets for the effect you want would be so much more efficient than navigating through a massive list every time.

While any Module is open, the Page buttons have already an essential function: navigating through the pages of parameters.

On the other hand it takes me about 3-4 turns of the Type Knob within about 3 seconds to scroll through the whole list of Effect Types from empty to Loop Distortion and vice verse.

You clearly have Jedi like powers because it drives me mental. So much so that ai tend to just avoid using any stomps at all ;-)

I haven’t spent enough time with mine yet to fall out of love with anything about the KPA itself - other than the scrolling wheel of death for finding effects/presets as others have already mentioned.

I don’t need a computer based editor but I respect others’ request for own (as long as it doesn’t reduce the functionality from the front of the KPA itself. The “on the fly” amp like tweaking nature of the KPA is one of the things that attracts me to it.

However, Rig Manager is a potentially wonderful piece of kit that just doesn’t really work as it stands. So the kain thing I would ask for os a complete over haul of Rig Manager to properly ange performances, effects, cabinets etc. Also the ability to copy multiple fields at the same time. When I make new profiles I often find that the wrong information has been populated from the reference rig ( probably user error) and it is a PITA having to manually update the feilds or copy them one at a time from an existing rig.

I’m pretty new to profiling but I make two profiles of everything- one with a SM57 and one DI. The DI box is a cheap ART Xdirect which works great.

There’s no magic to it and I don’t even think the room makes much of a difference. There is some truth in the fact that some professional profiles may sweeten the sound with really nice mic preamps but thats just icing on the cake. A 57 straight into the back of the Kemper works just fine.

So far my experience is that although many of the profesional profiles and profiles on rig exchange may be technically better than my one attempts I tend to use my own profiles 90% of the time because they sound exactly like I expect my amp to sound.

@808illest thanks for making that available. Just tried it out. Sounds nice. Was surprised to see the Wah Rate Reducer in Slot A.

My initial response was that it sounded very "digital" and artificial. Not at all what I expected. However, when you play it in a track it sits really nicely!

I just goes to reinforce that what sounds great soloed doesn't always work well in context and somethings that don't sound great solo sound perfect in context.

@GuyJames the other thing about Holdsworth is that his actual tone isn’t nearly as high gain as most people think. I hadnkt listened to him for a while so I whipped out IOU and Metal Fatigue recently and was really surprised how little gain is actually going on. The oick attack and dynamics are supper clear and not overly compressed. I guess the reason he could play such fluid legato passagages was more to do with his incredible technique than the sustain benefit of gain. Unfortunately that’s not what I want to hear as I always feel I can chase the sound but I know I have no chance with the technique :-(

I understand people wanting to profile their amps with their settings, but I am 100% confident that I can get better results using profiles made by those who are professionals at this. I bought the Kemper so I could get a nice collection of amps, which I do not have the physical space for or the ability to crank up, because I have neighbors right on top of me, in the middle of a city. I have had my Kemper for about a year now, and this is the first time I haven't thought of buying another amp in a year.
    Have you checked out the all of the free Rig Packs on the Kemper? For higher gain, there are some really good options in the Lars Luettge Rig Pack. Going to send you a PM with something else, as well.

"better results" is a very subjective thing.

I bought the Kemper for several reasons. One of them was, like you to have access to a range of amps that I don't own, will never own (try buying a Dumble) and even if I did own couldn't crank most of the time. However, I also have a nice range of Mesa Boogies and a THD BiValve. I love them for specific sounds which are MY sounds and MY idea of how my guitar and amp together should sound. No matter how good/professional someone is they are still supplying THEIR idea of how the amp should sound and even that has been optimised for a certain guitar/pickup which I probably don't own.

One of common complaints about the Kemper is frustration that none of the profiles sound like a real valve amp in the room to the person using it. Some of this may be poor profiles but profiling isn't hard so I suspect more of it is just that the sound of a ready made profile is just not the sound the user has in their head; or at least the sound they are used to hearing. I have found that the sound of a profile of my amps is as near to the real thing as makes no practical difference. Therefore, I can crank my amps and setup a sound I like when no one is in, profile it in a matter of minutes and play with it at any volume (even silent using headphones) I need to when family/neighbours are around.

The OP has said in previous posts that he can get rid of the digital sound from high gain profiles and is looking for a smooth Holdsworth like fusion tone which he can dial up in minutes on a real valve amp. Therefore, he clearly has a very specific sound in mind which is not the typical sort of high gain profile most professionals seem to sell (mainly metal packs). With that in mind I would imagine profiling his own amp with exactly the sound he loves would be much more efficient than trawling through potentially thousands of profiles in the hope of finding one that works.

It's "horses for courses". There is nothing wrong with buying professional profiles or using free profiles from professional profilers. Like many people, I use the Michael Britt profiles a lot as well as some Tone Junkie. I bought the BHP Mesa Triaxis pack which has some nice profiles but they don't sound like my Triaxis so I rarely use them. On the other hand, profiling your own amps is easy, can be fun and can give you exactly the sound you want. I am 100% certain that both ways can lead to great results and many hours of enjoyment playing :-)

I just can't point out what it is. The difference is increasing further with added effects as i said. The sound stage is way better on the Kemper. Its like you can hear a wider spectrum. I don't know what causes the differences.

I didn't really hear any really difference in the effects it was just that the levels were different and also that the Kemper had a generally warmer or fuller sound.

As for sending signal back through the Kemper to monitor. Yes you can do it. I'm not sure if it works over SPDIF but you can send a mix from your interface to the Return Input and Alternative Input then mix these with the guitar sound using the Aux levels in the Output section. You control the level of the mix input from the Aux In>Headphone volume .

There is a video about how to do it on the Kemper website.

https://youtu.be/d5p-ZB2_8MQ

OK, just done a short very unscientific test with the three headphone amps mentioned. I used a set of 250ohm DT100, 38ohm ATH-M50X and 22ohm Shure SE425 for comparison

The first thing I noticed is that the "space>HeadphoneOnly" feature on Output Menu Page 5 makes a significant difference at anything other than minimal values. If this is ticked then the signal going to the KPA headphones will clearly sound different than that being sent to the SPDIF or XLR Main outputs. I set it to 0 and unticked the box to take that out the equation completely. I also sent both SPDIF and Main XLR outputs for completeness. I didn't notice any clear difference between the XLR and SPDIF signals.

The most obvious finding is that the Kemper has a pretty powerful headphone amp. Which becomes even more noticeable with higher impedence headphones.

Using D100, the Focusrite at full volume was only a fraction of the level of the KPA. I had to turn the KPA down to between -6 and -8db to get a fairly similar volume. The two did sound slightly different. To me the KPA sounded a little fuller and smoother but it was fairly subtle. With the Mackie I could drive the headphones even harder than the KPA but nothing close to destruction. Again, there was a slightly different sound quality (in fact I think even though the Mackie is designed specifically for high impedence phones, the sound was noticeably harsher than the other two).

It is almost impossible to accurately match the level of all three exactly so some if not all of any difference in sound quality might simply be the slight differences in volume; I can't say for sure. Our ears can often interpret imperceptible differences in level (a fraction of 1db louder) as being better or fuller even though we don't think it is actually any louder. It is entirely possible that is all that I was hearing.

With M50X all three amps were able to drive them to a reasonable level. I still had to turn the KPA down to get close to matching the Focusrite at full blast but the difference was probably a little less than with the DT100. The Mackie was capable of pushing much louder and even overloading the headphones with the lower impedence of the M50X. In this case I thought the sound difference between headphones was pretty much negligible and again may just be a slight difference in volume.

When I switched to SE425 the KPA was able to go almost painfully loud. Focusrite was still quieter but also pretty loud. The Mackie was in danger of making the SE425 explode at way below maximum output. Again in the is example any sound differences appeared minimal other than the obvious differences in volume.

In summary, I think there might have been a slight difference in sound quality with high impedence headphones where the KPA sounded better than the Focusrite interface. However, it could just be confirmation bias. In either case any difference was small enough that it wouldn't bother me either way and I would be happy to use either KPA or Focusrite. I would also be happy to use the Mackie with any of the headphone but with caution for lower impedence sets as they can get dangerously loud. Any differences is no where near as extreme as when I tried the DT100 with the headphone out of my Mesa Boogie Mark V:25. In that case the amp couldn't really drive a decent signal level at all. However, with the M50X it was plenty loud enough.

Not sure if any of that helps or not ;-)

I’ll go and check in a moment and report back.

I have Kemper, Focusrite Safire (pretty standard headphone amp) and an old Mackie 8 bus mixer which is designed for hi impedence headphones. Although not great cans for moniting i havea couple of pairs of DT100 which are either 250ohm or 600 ohm versions so should at least be able to tell what difference the amp/impedence match makes.

As Michael_dk said, the SPDIF out could well be the problem. It needs to be set to "Master Stereo" on page1/7 of the Output menu.

If that is set correctly, check the settings in the Focusrite interface.Also, check the settings. I'm using an old Saffire which is configured via the Mix Control interface. Make sure that isn't set to mono on the channels that the Kemper is going through and/or the main outs.

Finally, if you are running through a DAW like Logic etc make sure you haven't set something to mono accidentally in the DAW itself.

Are you trying to pan the DI signal in logic?

You need to send the signal from its normal position -if you recorded on a mono track keep it center of you recorded on a stereo track panned left then keep it left.

The full fignal should hit the Kemper then the output from the Kemper rerecrded on a new track. Once you have the reamped track recorded back into logic you should be able to pan anywhere you want.

Hi Jason

As you have 5 high end tube amps, a couple of Suhr guitars and are doing a recording course at school you have all the tools you need to get EXACTLY the tone you want out of the KPA.

Set up your amp(s) the way you like it. Stick a mic in front and make a profile. It isn’t rocket science so you should be able to get great results in no time. I know you said you don’t like reading dictionary thick manuals but you should definitely download the the detailed reference manaul and the short profiling manual before starting.

You don’t need to go into the studio to make the profiles. The actual profiling phase where it sounds like a space ship landing in your room only lasts less than a minute.

Although it probably sounds counter intuitive to someone doing a recording course, but the room you profile in seems to make minimal difference to the profile itself. I’m no expert on this but I think the profiling algorithm disregards time based information which is what the room would add. Maybe someone with more knowledge and experience can confirm/explain this better.

Anyway, I whipped out my old Mesa Studio .22 yesterday and made some quick profiles (both studio and direct versions) to do some A/B comparisons. I have a pair of Mesa EVM12L Thiele Cabs so I plugged a DIrect version of the profile into one and the real Boogie into the other. I carefully level matched them with a DB meter and switched back and forth between them. There was virtually no difference at all. Any difference there was may actually just have been down to the slightly different positions of the cab relative to the room walls. In fact, if I had to pick one I would say the Kemper profile was very slightly better than the real the thing but that could just be a placebo effect / confirmation bias trick.