Posts by Wheresthedug

I also found/find the rig cross unintuitive but you sort of get used to it with time. Unfortunately you can’t change this in the way that you can with the remote bank buttons.

yes, every profiler has their own distinctive style and as you said it doesn’t make one better or worse than another- just different.

as for the acoustic strumming sound, have you tried the acoustic simulator effect yet? That might be just what you need. You should try it withe Stack section turned off and see what you think. General consensus is that it sounds besT with neck single coils or middle position humbuckers. You will find it in the Equaliser effects types.

The real Tubescreamer is like this. It’s mainly why it’s known as a great push pedal to a broken up amp, rather than the type of overdrive you’d use on a clean amp. Ew haha

yes, i know. To my ears the clean path in the KD seems pretty high though. However, I only own one OD pedal (Fulltone Fulldrive 2 mosfet) and I really never use it. Iw would make a really funky paper weight though ?

i almost never use any OD or distortion pedals but I did try a side by side comparison between the KD and Fulldrive. The KD clean path sounded much higher. Although the Fulldrive is a TS inspired pedal, it is entirely possible that it has a much lower clean path than other TS style pedals though.

Anyway, side by side comparisons aside the KD definitely sounds great for an OD pedal ?

Andy timmons doesn't use the lead channels on his Mesa Mesa amps just runs the Angry charlie over the clean channel his tone is heavenly

i know. I love Andy’s tone and playing.

I think he does that mainly for convenience though. In the past he ran separate rigs for clean and dirty. He has run JCM800 in the past and still uses some Marshalls on recordings (if I remember correctly). His live sound until a few years ago was a Mesa Stilleto (Mesa’s attempt at a classic JCM style tone) for lead with a Lonestar for clean. That required double the amps and double the cabs plus mic’ing both etc. Now he uses a single amp and pedals to try and get the same sound. I’m sure if touring costs for staff, setup times, shipping costs etc weren’t an issue he would probably still love to carry the double amp setup but in the modern touring economy costs and portability matter a lot.

My point is just that with the Kemper you don’t need to stick a pedal in front of a clean amp to recreate the sound of an iconic head - just use the iconic head because it is no less convenient.

i confess I am no technical expert and most of the Klon discussion is way over my head but I did read the Strymon White Paper yeky83 posted. This seems to suggest that Kemper took the approach of providing the soft clipping options in the Kemper Drive and the Hard Clipping in the Full OD. In which case, why would you need to add hard clipping to the Kemper Drive?

I'm all for square wave tremolo too, but FYI, if you want to emulate a killswitch, you can set up a graphic eq in a slot, and set the High Cut to the lowest value. Then assign a footswitch to turn on and off the eq, and away you go! I'm not sure what kind of speed you will be able to get out of the switching, but it's worth a try.

I have tried similar things with setting volume to 0 etc but nothing let me get changes even close to fast enough to sound like a kill switch stutter effect.

i had also been thinking long those lines and think it would definitely be a workable solution which CK and team could surely achieve. However, you will still get FUZZaholics complaining that it feel wrong using an expression pedal instead of the guitar’s volume control etc.

i wonder is another way of achieving something similar would be to link this virtual capacitance function to input signal level. Sort of like having compression triggered by a side chain or the ducking function on the KPA. As the input signal is reduced this virtual capacitance feature would automatically be increased. There might even be a two control format (similar to the way Definition and Slim Down interact in the Kemper Drive) to capture a wide range of behaviours of different pickups and fuzz pedals.

I am sure CK is well aware of the effect we are talking about so I wouldn’t be surprised if he has already devised some cunning plan for world domination of virtual fuzz effects ?

I think what Burkhard was suggesting is that the lock function affects everything and isn’t split between effects and functions like the input menu. Therefore, the KPA would have no way of knowing that it is only Locked effects that you want to be warned about.

If you are saving via Rig Manager there is a clear red padlock on any locked effect. The best option is to form a habit of checking whether there are any lock symbols active before hitting save. It should become a habit within a very short period of time.

I know that someone pointed out that one stomp used a half wave clipping rectifier while another used a full wave clipping rectifier and therefore concluded that a single algorithm couldn't possibly cover both.

When I suggested that ODs should include different clipping styles (Hard, Soft, Symmetrical,Asymmetrical etc) CK maintained that despite his attempts to do so I simply could not find any evidence that this actually made an audible difference to the output.