Posts by Wheresthedug

is it possible that it’s sympathetic vibration from something else in the room say on your desk which the monitors sit on? Listening on headphones with the speakes turned off would eliminate that as a possibility.

A few things spring to mind.

re the noise issue; I know what you mean and I feel your pain. I am limited in terms of ability to crank amps too. Fortunately, I can get round it by planning when I make profiles around when the family and nextdoor neighbours are out but it is far from ideal and means I don’t make nearly as many profiles as I would like. However, a better solution would be to just take the KPa and your amp rig to be profiled to band practice (and make some profiles while everyone else is having a cigarette break) or hire a rehearsal room for a few hours.

re the load after the DI through; The amp still sees a load as the through isn’t transformer isolated.

re the output level; you can use a different DI box with a pad switch I get decent results with a cheap ART box. The results are noticeably better to my ears than the proI made with my Two Notes Torpedo Reload as a loadbox.

While I generally agree with the concept, the main issue in a normal room are low frequencies resonances, something that is not affected by normal absorbing panels and that is quite expensive to fix :/

Saving 200 € on monitors to be invested on room treatment is not going to solve the lows mud, sadly.

I totally agree, low frequencies become more of an issue the smaller the room so treated tales up a much higher proportion of available space too which is a Catch 22 scenario.

I wouldn’t waste a lot of money on commercial treatment products as the data shows most perform little better than the good old industry standard of OC703 (if you are in the US) or Rockwool RWA45 (if you are in the UK like me). However, a lot can be done very cheaply with DIY treatments and a decent book like Rod Gervais Home Studios Build It Like The Pros.

OC703 or RWA45 provides effectives 100% absorption down to around 250hz. It falls off after this but even a singe 100mm deep panel still has an absorption coefficient of around 0.85 at 125hz. Thick panels and panels placed with an air gap between them and the wall provide decent performance down to the bottom of the guitar range.

A budget of £200 would by around 50 sheets of 2400 x 1200 x 100mm RWA45 in the UK at the moment. Make some cheap frames to hold is and cover them with the cheapest curtain lining material you can find (costs next to nothing). That provides a lot of treatment for very limited budget.

of course where you place the treatment matters a lot. Covering all surfaces with a single sheet of 100mm thick will yield VERY different (and certainly unpleasant ?) results than covering a limited number of points (completely filling the corners) with very thick panels. Triangular “superchunks” as deep as you can manage in all four vertical corners will provide a significant improvement at lower frequencies. Adding in the vertical corners where possible (wall to ceiling and/or wall to floor) will also make a substantial difference. The downside is the space it takes up.

If I understand correctly room correction software only deals with the frequency domain issues but not time domain like phasing.

I haven’t used room correction software like Sonarwoks etc but I tend to see them in the same category os using a noise gate so “solve” an earth loop in a guitar rig. Better to treat the problem at source first rather than cover it with a sticking plaster. However, once all reasonable steps have been taken to eliminate the source Then such solutions can make a good sound better. Sound on Sound summed it up in their overview of room correction software “ So, as ever with ‘magic bullets’, they’re not perfect. Used in conjunction with proper acoustic treatment, however, then can certainly help to wring the last few drops of performance out of your monitoring system.

that’s going to be a trade off either way. Is you want to rout everything through the Kabinet you won’t get the full experience from the backing tracks. If you monitor the guitar through the Studio Monitors it won’t sound like an amp in the room. Neither is wrong or right but it’s a compromise either way. Personally I prefer my guitar to sound like a great recording rather than an onstage amp (35 years of gigging with real amps and never being satisfied with the way they sounded) but not everyone feels the same.

as there is no news about any possible release of a powered Kabinet I would discount option 1 altogether. It seems logical to assume Kemper will release a powered Kabinet at some stage but so far there is nothing to suggest it is going to happen any time soon. They may surprise us and spring it on the market like they did with the Stage but it isn’t something I would base my decisions on.

Option 2 and 3 are both the same really. You could have a small power amp Velcroed inside the back of a toaster and it really wouldn’t be any more hassle than a Camplifier although it wouldn’t look quite as neat.

if you want something you might gig with in the foreseeable future I would probably take one of those options. However, if gigging really isn’t on the horizon I would personally ignore the Kone/Kabinet and use a good set of studio monitors for home use with backing tracks.

it depends what you want to hear through your IEM; just guitar or band mix.

if just guitar then send the monitor output to the input of your IEM transmiter and adjust the Monitor Ouput EQ to taste.

however, if you want to hear a full or partial band mix plus guitar you will need to either:

work as you are just now and EQ the monitor bus on the desk or,

remove your guitar from the desk monitor mix and send the band mix into the Aux Return on the Kemper . Mix this in with the Kemper guitar sound then connect the monitor output to the i put of the IEM transmitter. You can the adjust the monitor EQ to taste BUT it will eq both the guitar signal AND the band monitor mix too. It will have no impact on the FOH though.

as stated above, yes to performances but you can’t assign footswitches in the editor at this stage. I believe it is expected as an update at some point but currently you would still need to manually assign any footswitches for FX on the Stage afterwards.

as for the looper, it is in the KPA. The Remote just controls it.

gotcha.

but in the chain above you are still using the TAE as load on the through of the Kemper DI?

whatever i attached to the DI through is the load on the amp. Different loads affect the sound in different ways. Early load boxes/attenuators were typically just a big resistor which had fixed impedance. Many cheaper attenuators still work this way. However, a speaker’s impedance changes with frequency (the impedance curve). Reactive loads like the TAE, Two Notes, Suhr, OX etc have a predetermined impedance curve decided by the designer. This may or may not behave like the real speaker you would normally use. The interaction between the amp and the load has an effect on the tne and feel of the amp. The impedance curve of a reactive load differing from the real speaker isn’t necessarily a good or bad thing (just different) but it can colour the results which I why Kemper advise not to use a load box for DAP. I would try a couple of pofiles hooked up to a real speaker and compare the results with the TAE versions. This will confirm or deny whether the issue is impedance related.

i’m a little confused. I don’t think I have followed your signal chain properly.

i thought you said that the problem happens when making a profile using the UAD Twin and IRs but it sounds much better when using the Boss TAE. I took it from that that you were only using the TAE in one of the situations and not the other. Have I misunderstood something?

Personal taste applies here. I prefer the bigger sound of the cabs ...

personal taste applies everywhere Dan ?

whatever, sounds good to the person playing is good. For me I’ve spent 35 years gigging and being frustrated by having to use guitar cabs on stage. Getting the Kemper and some IEM was a revelation that finally freed me from that and allowed me to hear myself on stage and also sound more like the studio sound I like. However, I understand I am a bit of a weird fish and in the minority in that respect.