Posts by Wheresthedug

nightlight there is clearly a massive difference in the sound of the two profiles you posted. However, I can't replicate that effect at my end. Is that one of your own profiles or a commercial profile?

I have kust reamped a quick riff using one of the factory profiles OLA - Haende KY RHY

Recorded it three times 1 ) Clean Sens -12db, 2) 0db 3) +12db There may or may not be slight differences between the three but definitely not anything to write home about.

Clean Sens test

But if you put a Loop in Stomp A and send this to an amp, interface or dask and check the level hitting them you will see that this also happens for literally the first point in the chain. Therefore the logical conclusion seems to be that it does work on the input section not the output.

You can also see this on the KPA itself by monitoring the input LED. High CLean Sens settings turn this bright red whereas low Clean Sens leave it green. That should be monitoring the input signal not the output. The LED measure doesn't change even when no processing is being applied. You can test this by turning off all blocks (Stomps, Stack and Effects) just for good measure. Now set Main Output to Git + Processing. The manual clearly says that this mearly sends the input guitar signal straight through at the same level as it came in but it passes through the AD/DA converter first. Changing Clean Sens makes no difference to the audible output level (which is confirmed by the input meters on the desk). However, the LED still changes from green to red and if I hit the strings hard enough I can make the sound clip even though the level hasn't changed. To my mind, that implies the signal is being clipped on the input AD convertor but the level is being adjusted later in the chain before sending back out through the DA converter.

Ground Loop ? Try the ground lift switches on the back panel.

Is it there even with the guitar volume turned off? If not it could be simple

interference. Move the guitar around to find the source then stay away from it.

Are you using any digital gear on the same pedal board? Digital pedals without fully isolated power supplies can also be a cause of a ticking noise.

There may be other possible causes but those are the three big ones.

Not at all what Kemper Amps says though when it comes to what it does. Read the manual, it's only supposed to be used to balance clean and distorted tone volume levels.

As Shakespeare would say “a rose by an opt name would smell as sweet” or to put it another way : if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck- it’s a duck 😂

if you reduce the clean sense to -10db (perhaps there’s a clue in the choice of measurement too) the input led will go to green or even very faint green depending on pickup strength. If you increase it to +10db the led wil glow full red with even relatively low output pickups. That looks a lot like a gain control to me.

I thought I remembered even Kemper saying previously that it performed a dual function but the no longer do. My thinking is that they stopped saying this because people were fixating on setting the gain level which in reality is almost irrelevant as there is so much headroom and the input and output soft clip anyway. Or maybe I am just dreaming it 😆

There are a few things you need to check.

First is the pedal/cable working OK. Go to the calibration screen and move the pedal. If it is working you will see the bar move across the screen. If not change the cable.

Assuming the pedal is working properly then go to the pedal settings and make sure the pedal type is set to Wah.

If this is OK go into the Wah effect itself and make sure the fiction (I forget the correct field name) is set to On or bypass@heel etc whichever you prefer.

As far as I can make out Clean Sense is actually BOTH an input gain control AND a master balance control between clean and distorted profiles.

Therefore, reducing the input gain makes the LED

Stop flashing red. Increasing the input gain (Clean Sense) means that more signal is also hitting the distorted profiles so fattens them up.

However, I believe the unit has so much headroom and employs soft clipping that the input gain function is almost irrelevant hence the reason the manual doesn’t really explain it.

I could be wrong but that’s definitely how it appears to me.

Most people only use one mic in a live situation. Even in the studio a single mic is often still a great solution so I’m not convinced about the need for dual profiles.

The 0 to -12db presumably refers to Clean Sense only. This should definitely have an effect on the Input LED going red which would almost certainly follow through to the output. The Clean Sense seems to have a dual purpose as an input gain and clean/dirty balance. However, the input seems to have so much headroom it is very Soto actually overload it so I wouldn’t be too worried about the input LED going red.

I would start by getting the clean sounds at a level you are comfortable with. Then bring dirty sounds up or down to match.

clean sense is specifically designed to balance the levels between clean and dirty sounds

distortion sense is designed to control the amount of gain applied to all dirty profiles (anything with a gain value of greater than 4) but not affect clean profiles at all as far as I know. However, it should have no effect on volume.

neither should make any significant difference to the Ouput LED going red. this is caused by something later in the chain being set too high. Probably the Amp Volume or Rig Volume. If you are struggling to balance clean and dirty sounds don’t turn the quiet one up, turn the loud one down instead. This will preserve headroom which you can make up again later by simply increasing the master volume.

As we know Two Notes and others already do it with IRs, and Kemper can extract the Cab portion of a Studio Profile by subtracting the Direct Amp Profile it certainly seems logical that a profile combining tool could be developed and added to the current hardware. I suppose the question is how many people really want it and how useful it would be in the real world as this would determine where Kemper see such a tool in the real world.

for my needs it would be of zero interest but I know others seem to see it differently.

Hmmm, OK that the same one as me.

I was actually imagining that you were doing it via RM3 ie the editor rather than directly on the KPA. I’m sure the saving bug was in RM so prob not the root of your problem after all

i have no idea whether this is possible with the KPA but I know that Two Notes have something similar for combining multiple IRs into a single file so it isn’t inconceivable that it could be done in the KPA.

Many many people bought the product for simplicity and ease of use.

The more and more features that are added the further from that point we are getting.

i think that is the key to the Kemper model. For simplicity go Kemper. For flexibility and tweak ability go Helix or Axe. Totally different strategies/workflows but both equally valid.

I was abit disapointed that the editor didnt incorporate the remote setup aswell.

this is only the first gen editor. They have said that they just want to get the platform stable at this stage. They have also said that they fully intend to add additional features later. I would be shocked if Remote setup isn’t one of those features.

Ultimately theres probably loads of kemper users that actually want different things from it, and they are trying to keep everyone happy to a point.

one of the thing I think Kemper have done well (and something I really admire them for) is sticking to their vision of the product. Yes they have evolved it based on user feedback and feature requests but ultimately they have never tried to be all things to all people. The editor is probably a good example. Many people asked for it fora long time but in the early days CK probably looked at is irrelevant to the intended design/purpose . Much of the logic seemed to go along the lines of “everybody else has an editor so Kemper should have one too”. There are lots of good reasons to add festures, functions, new products but “me too” isn’t one of them. However, as time went on and the KPA evolved and the user base probably changed fro the expected market an editor probably started to make sense. Even today, I still think much of the editor functionality can be achieved just as easily or even easier on the hardware (although I have the editor loaded and open on my desktop I have started to gravitate back to st tweaking knobs on the KPA as its faster in many cases). Given my comments about CK and the team only adding things when they can see a valid reason to do so, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is some really interesting and developments already on the development roadmap which the editor will be a crucial part of.

For me since the editor came out, and im not scrolling pages i think the effects section is actually really small.

i think this is a key part of your observation about the Kemper’s “simplicity “.

My guess is that there will be new effects in due course. However, I’m not expecting a huge increase in the number of effects. I don’t think it fits the Kemper model to add OD models for every popular pedal on the market. Instead, I think they might add more controllable parameters to the existing models (or replacements for these) which provide the flexibility for users to model almost any pedal themselves.

likewise, for modulation effects, I would expect to see very few new effects but additional functions that allow more creative use. For example, you could see the modulation wave shape added as a variable parameter. With the ability to select different wave shapes (sine, triangle, sawtooth, square, random) and a control for symmetry you could create a massive range of variation within the existing modulation effects.

I am sure they must have a development map and I’m sure it will stay true to their vision rather than trying to be all things to all people by providing a host of “me too” features.

I don’t know the MC but looked it up online. it looks like the MC6 has both midi in and out sockets. Does it support bidirectional midi? if so connect 2 cables. This should allow the MC6 to know the current state of the effect on the Kemper. that worked perfectly with my FCB1010 and RJM Mastermind before I finally bought a Remote.

rather than copying the rigs I would do a full backup which includes OS and restore the backup on the rack version. That way you should have an exact copy of both devices.