Posts by Wheresthedug

MuddySludge I love me some Ray as much as anyone :)

Not saying I don't like vocals, merely that I don't need them to make a song interesting. BayouTexan basically said that unless a track has vocals it sounds like a demo. That's definitely not the case for me. I grew up on Al Di Meola, Allan Holdsworth, Jeff Beck, Santana, John Scofield, Yngwie, Satch, Vai, Paul Gilbert, Joe Pass, Wes etc etc Also Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane and Big Bands like Duke and Basie. Vocals are great but not necessary to make a great track.

You don't miss vocals, really?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Honestly, yes.

That is a great track and the girl is clearly an incredibly talented vocalist but for my money the track would be better with two guitars or guitar and sax. That's clearly just personal taste (or lack of taste maybe :D) but she does kind of kill a great instrumental for me.

I have thousands of profiles (profile packs are the new GAS) but to be perfectly honest, the factory content is so good you don’t need to buy profiles to get a killer tone. I buy them as it’s fun to try amps you could never play in the real world (Dumbles in my case) or just amps you would need to sell something else to buy (Soldano, Bogner, Two Rock etc) but I know it’s not necessary or going to change my life.

At the end of the day playing and practicing will always matter more than gear. Sometimes the limitations of a certain sound force us to work on our pick attack/dynamics/vibrato etc to make it work. Jeff Beck could plug into me radio alarm clock and sound amazing while I would still sound pretty average through John Petrucci’s rig.

Erm I'm starting to lose the thread here a little...

The original comment was about cutting through and then onto solo's. The suggestion was to use the guitar volume knob. My limited experience tells me that ( regardless of valve or Kemper), it doesn't have a direct effect on increasing in volume but mainly gain.

No, I don’t think you’re missing anything Guy. The more gain the basic profile has the less effective the guitar volume pot is for raising the solo level. For totally gained out metal it makes no difference in volume at all but with a Plexi or Tweed Deluxe etc it can provide a nlittle ce volume lift (as Angus has shown).

By the way , the SG clearly is the best guitar because not only Angus used one but also Tony Iommi. Case closed 😁 (I don’t actually own an SG but thats not the point. I only play inferior guitars lke PRS and Musicman 😆)

You're entitled to your opinion Guy - even though you're wrong ;)

The fact that that volume pot reduces gain as well as level is part of it's magic. Guys like Angus and Jeff etc tend to set their base rhythm sound with the guitar volume on 6 - 7 and work from there. for more or less volume/gain. Jeff Beck uses the volume almost like a compressor a lot of the time by fading in more gain as the not fades. If it's good enough for Jeff, it's good enough for mere mortals like us 8)

Try not to over think it. You won’t blow anything up so just experiment until you find something you like.

The kemper has a pretty sweet arsenal effects built in, so is it even worth it to bother with pedals (especially in a studio setting)?

Personally I wouldn’t bother in a studio setting unless there is a specific effect that you just can’t get without an analog pedal. For studio work the Kemper is a great choice but if you need more I would turn to Plug-ins rather than pedals for the simplest workflow and the best results. However, everyone is different and you can learn a lot just from experimenting so try it out and see what works (and doesn’t) for you. 🤘

With Pitch Bend it should automatically be “off” until you move the pedal. With the pedal in heel position no bend is being applied.

Some FX also include the option Bypass at Heel/Toe or Stop. Depending on how you like to leave your pedal one of these would work. I think this is what you are referring to as “auto sense”

While I agree, not everyone wants to (or uses a sound that) does well with the pot turned down.

With a Strat or Tele - it’s super easy, though.

It is especially difficult with Gibson style controls (2 volume, 2 tone, no master). If you mix both pickups (which I do frequently) - turning down ain’t gonna work. 😁

yeh, the LP has the knobs in the wrong place. That’s it second biggest design flaw after the detachable headstock 🤣

I hear what you are saying but I would actually argue that the LP style 4 pot layout is actually the daddy for using the pots to shape sound especially in the middle position. The range of sounds available from varying the balance between the two pickups is massive. The volume pot can be used in many ways to shape sound and/or ride level but the point remains that too many people see it as an On/Off switch. I freely admit to my shame that I was one of them for way too many years.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The whole video is well worth a watch. Phil X solo is awesome but Bumblefoot is on a whole other level =O

I haven't tried it but could you assign the morph expression pedal to the Panorama parameter in the Rig Menu and use that to position the loops in the stereo field?

EDIT: just tried it and it appears to work as expected.

lovey guitar 👍

a well made custom instrument from a small luthier is a wonderful thing.

Also try using Parallel Path. This effectively gives you the combination of a totally clean DI Bass sound and a Bass Amp with Mic for warmth. Most of the time playing Live FOH only took a DI from my bass and the amp was just on stage monitoring. In the studio bass is often DI or a combination of DI and Amp on separate tracks.