Posts by MistaGuitah

There are so many subtle things that I've been discovering about getting better profiles that I decided to start keeping a notebook. I wish I had more amps at my disposal. There are so many nuances which can make a profile better, and some very surprising things too. I'll list few things I've noticed and would like to get some feedback on why these things work the way they do.

PICKUPS:

* Bright pickups with a higher output seem to push certain treble frequencies which come through with almost the screechiness of Line6 top end. Bright pickups with a lower output seems like the Kemper slightly ignores some of the low to mid midrange frequencies, and lends to a slightly more transparent low end tone.

* Medium to medium-high output A2 and A4 pickups seem to play the nicest with a variety of amps. For whatever reason, they achieve all the right frequencies whether they're mid-heavy Dimarzios or David Allen P51 Mustangs.

* A8 pickups were a great surprise. I have about 21 guitars, but only one with an A8 pickup. A8 is too powerful and thick for my tastes, but in this particular pickup which was on the thin, bright side with a vintage wind, I degaussed an A8 magnet a bit and it turned out perfect. It can sit a little lower from the strings without losing any response or pick attack. I'd say it's a medium-high output pickup probably in the range of a Tone Zone. In any case, I also profiles with a Seymour Duncan A8 with as good results, and that's a pretty hot pickup. For whatever reason, A8 seems to profile really well with different amps. It's hot enough to push the preamp, but because of it's warmth and thickness, it just seems to be a great pickup for profiling.

{A note on degaussing: I'm not a pickup expert, but have been on the Seymour Duncan board for years swapping mags in all kinds of pickups and even mismatching coils to make a hybrid. If you are interested in this, you don't have to take the pickup out of the guitar as far as I can tell. You just take a neodymium magnet and give it an even swipe across from bridge through neck pickup. You don't even have to take off the strings. The pull you feel is it degaussing the weaker magnet inside your pickup. It helps to have a small and a medium size neo wafer magnet for A2 - A5 and A8 or Ceramic, respectively. This is not a consistent process and you pretty much have to test your sound after each pass so you don't degauss too much. I've only done this a couple of times and luckily it has worked out... just in case you are into that kind of thing}.

* Ceramic and active pickups generally really push the preamp hard and seem to make profiles sound too gainy, feel greasier, and tend to give different profiles a more similar sound to where you can't tell the difference between a 6505 and a 5153. It seems like you have to fiddle more with the definition, sag, and pick settings. Adjusting them hardly makes a difference though

{I should note: I'm talking about nuance here OK, all these differences I'm observing are marginal contributing factors to profiling}

* Smoother single-coils tend to result in kind of a little more transparent, generic signal. Kinman Woodstocks + (noiseless by the way), for example, are awesome pickups, but profiling with them seems to result in a little bit dull profile. A set of Fralin Blues Specials are kind of similar in a way as in having a higher output, thicker tone, but because they have a more distinct character, they profile better than the Kinmans. Then there's the Fender Fat 50's vs. Texas Specials, so Texas Specials to me have a more unique character and seem to lend to a better sounding profile.

* TIghtness Factor: You would think that tight pickups = tight sound. Great for metal right? Well, I've noticed a few things. First of all, a few factors seem to influence this. Weaker pickups, like a P90, that have a crunchier sound than other P90s seem to come through fairly tight for whatever reason. I have a Seymour Duncan PATB-1, and if you've ever tried the parallel pickups, they have a loose feel and are on the brighter side. It's kind of like a Bareknuckle Holy Diver but not as tight. The PATB-1 is kind of crunchy or whatever you want to call it, and it profiles really well. When I profiled the P90 and PATB-1 both, the rigs worked exceptionally well with vintage and high-output humbuckers, having a nice tight low end.

* Pickups like Dimarzios which have tons of mids (not just spiky high mids like the Duncan JB, but a lot of overall mids) seem to give up pinch/tap/fret harmonics at low to higher gain levels. Profiling with a Dimarzio Norton, you get some Zakk Wylde kind of low string harmonics. EMG's do all that with gain, but when you're on lower gain profiles, it just doesn't have the same ease and authority.

Great info man and thanks for confirming some of my observations. Who is the best known vendor if you don't mind me asking? I'm definitely going to check them out if I haven't already.

Well, it really seems like profiling can be done two ways: the average Joe who wants to capture a sound they like, and a more experienced, scientific approach where all factors are taken into consideration. The easy was works for capturing my favorite amp settings. However, when I want to get a particular set of tones for a set list or something, I like to have a little more workable palate to use. I know the Kemper isn't nearly as tweakable as the Fractal stuff, but I also think if done right, it provides that extra amount of versatility you need to get within your sound range.

Look up Jim Lill online to find his Dr Z profiles. I thought they were pretty good. What JJ did you like? I’ve been on/off thinking of getting too jimi’s, his profiles always have his sound sometimes is really good for what I’m looking for sometimes not. A little more room sound or like the mic is further back.

I think the only decent JJ profiles I could find was a set from ToneCrate. I've got like 20 JJ profiles, so I'll have to check in Rig Manager and get back with you to let you know which ones I like best.

Of course a big benefit of the profiler is to profile amps so you don't have to carry them around. However, most people don't have a lot of amps and want a little more personalization. If I really wanted to tweak things, I would have stuck with Fractal. However, I like the more authentic amp-like tone and feel of the Kemper. The challenge so far has been finding good profiles that were done without a specific kind of tone in mind, just a good representation of the amp so I can adjust it to taste. That's pretty much the gist of what I was saying.

First off, I'm not here to rag on Kemper or anything, so don't get offended. I absolutely love my Kemper, and one of the greatest, most surprising things about Kemper is that I've never enjoyed playing vintage style amps so much. I'm a shred/rock/metal kind of guy mostly, so I don't care too much for old Fenders and pretentious boutique amps. However, some of the profiles are simply outstanding.

Little Walter 22 & 50 - World class profiles, work great with external overdrive pedals and effects, really great dynamics and pick response

Vab Clean & Lead - WOW! Such outstanding sounds. Extremely authentic, amp-like in feel and tone. I REALLY like these so much I wish I could buy the real deal.

JCM800 - Not sure if this is the Michael Britt one or another, but one of the JCM800 profiles really nails it.

Suhr Badger 30 - I used to own the real deal, so I can say with some qualification that this profile is very good. There are a few, not sure who made them, but there are two I particularly like.

Fender Tweed 57 and Champ - Really great job on these. Love playing them. The Champ has that small amp sound and everything. Very cool profiles.

Friedman Dirty Shirley - There are a couple, but there is one that is really good and responds very well to gain changes.

Now, having spoke on behalf of a few choice profiles, I find that most profiles seem to be guys just dialing in amp the way they like rather than finding an optimal combination of settings, volume, etc that makes it easier to personalize for people who use the profiles. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I've been doing a lot of profiling lately. I've read how guys do it, descriptions of how the commercial profilers make theirs, youtube videos, etc. It seems to me that if you take a usable, base sound into consideration, it takes 5-6 profile attempts before getting a profile that works really well. It's so much easier to just dial in a sound I like because that only takes one take. It's much harder to create profiles that are more workable.

I'm still a relative newb, but I've been rather spongy in my quest for learning the Kemper, so I think there are a few little things that can be set to make profiles more universal but not generic. Direct profiles + IR's seem the most satisfactory and versatile to me half of the time, but the other half of the time it's just a combination of an amp + cab personality and how mindfully the profile was done that comes together just right.

Some of the profiles I really wanted from amps I used to own or always wanted were:

Friedman JJ-100
    Hiwatt DR103
    Hiwatt Custom 50
    EVH Stealth 6L6
    Fender Supersonic 22
    Engl Invader

It took some digging around the Internet, and most of the JJ profiles were not so great. Then I found about 5 that were really good, so I think it's fairly well set on the JJ now. I've found a lot of Hiwatt profiles, but nothing so far has managed to capture some of the magic spark you get from a real Hiwatt. There are a lot of EVH5150 profiles out there, and other dude sound far better playing them than I do, but I much prefer the voicing of the EVH 5153 Stealth with 6L6. I didn't care too much for the newer EL34 version of it. I found a commercial profile pack for it, but not sure if it's worth buying.

You'd think there would be at least a dozen great Fender Super-Sonic profiles, but I have yet to find a Super-Sonic profile that really captures how great that amp can sound and play. Lastly, there are the Engl profiles. So far they've been OK, a few have sucked, but I have yet to find a really, really good Engl profile of the Invader or SE, and have not found profiles for the Artist edition which is almost a must-have Engl profile.

Anyway, I'd really like to find some good profiles, of these amps, so if you get what I'm talking about and know which ones to get, I'd appreciate that very much. If you disagree with my assessments or opinions then fair enough. Like I said, I have 99% great things to say about Kemper.

Also, has anyone tried the Dr.Z profiles. One amp, the EMS, was one I really looked forward to. However, on a Youtube review, the guy basically said it's just OK and only good for gain if I remember correctly. In any case, I'm not a vintage amp kind of guy, but I love Dr. Z amps. If anyone has bought Pack 1, I'd like to hear what you think about it.

I really like the features of both units. The Zoom H5 is most useful because I can use it for field work as a research scientist, as a USB audio interface, has the connectivity for a DSLR camera, and it has a variety of accessories you can attach. The BOSS Micro BR has a lot of editing, mixing, effects, etc. features that come in handy as a guitarist... although I don't think I'll ever use it for mixing or effects.

From what I've been able to gather from reviews and demo videos, the Zoom H5 has a pretty damned good quality sound. One video compared it to a Scarlett Focusrite which I know to be a pretty good (not amazing) recording interface.

I was checking out SinMix earlier, but I'm kind of wanting to get profiles of less accessible amps such as the Uberschall, Friedman JJ, XTC20th. I think it was Choptones who had a pretty good JJ pack. Also, one profile pack I haven't been able to find is the EVH 5153 Stealth. I love that amp - more than the newer EL34 version. I'd love to get my hands on a good quality pack for that amp.

I saw that some profilers offer custom packs, but I heard they don't always actually use the exact amps and only tweak existing profiles to make it sound like it. If anyone knows where I can get a full set of EVH Stealth profiles, let me know!

Yep, definitely get profiles. This isn't like the AxeFX where you could pull up a Mesa Mark patch and fiddle with it to get in the Metallica ballpark, you're either close or not with the Kemper. Look up rig packs, download or buy ones of amps you like, and have fun.

For reference, when it comes to live anyway, I mostly use a profile I made of my own Engl Savage for rhythms, with a Mesa IIC+ profile for leads and a Mark V profile for cleans. I also have assorted profiles I like, such as of the 5150 III, Triple Rectifier, JVM, Revv Generator 120, etc.

I've downloaded all the free ones available on Kemper's website and as many samples as I could find from commercial profiles, but only thought 2-3 of them were really good. I think they were probably done with high output, ceramic pickups which I don't have in any of my guitars. So far, it seems to me that profiling with medium output pickups is the most versatile with different kinds of guitars. Anyway, what commercial profiles have you used that you would recommend?

There are so many great sounds in the Kemper, but trying to dial in things like Metallica, Pantera, At The Gates, etc. it seems like you're better off buying a profile pack that already has those sounds. I'm not that great at dialing in someone else's tones, but I hear people who do it all the time. Is there some nuance I'm missing or do you need to get the rig pack? Pantera, for example, I've been trying to dial in those tones, but not very successful so far. There are some that are OK, but I think there was one from Choptones or somewhere else that had the rhythm and lead tones all dialed in as close as you can get. So anyway, how are you guys getting your tones? Are you just shaping rigs, or profiling certain amp setups, or buying amp packs?

Thanks for the confirmation. At least I know that I'm hearing things more or less right. The compression would seem to explain a lot too about loud profiling. Some amps like Metropoulos can be pretty loud and gainy and not compress as much as my BE-100, so I'd imagine those would have better results profiling at louder volumes.

A question though... I was reading the manual and it said to play lots of chords as that's what's needed to capture the distortion characteristics and dynamic response. When profiling, used the same sequence of bar chords and a little more complex chord shapes up and down the neck. I don't know if that helps, but it would seem to be better than just strumming chords at the 1st and 3rd frets. My question is though, should I be doing some palm muting between chords or something? Would that help enhance the percussive response or something?

I've been profiling a lot lately. I started with a Friedman BE-100 which came out good the first time, even better the second time. I think the reason I had success is because I read the manual, watched several videos, and read a lot on this forum. There were also things I noticed about using different guitars, speakers, pickups -- and how it all compared to all the commercial and rig-exchange profiles.

One of my main complaints about a lot of profiles is that they seem to be done in a way which is geared towards the profiler's personal preference. That's completely understandable. I mean, after all, one of the greatest benefits to having a Kemper is the fact that you can profile all of your amps and not have to carry them all around. However, they don't always translate to what I'd consider neutral enough profiles to be more generally useful. Maybe with more experience I'll think differently, but at this point, I'm really enjoying only handful of direct profile packages and my own profiles.

Set a certain way and with certain pickups, mic position, and volume, there seems to be more flexibility in how much you can change things like gain and EQ without losing something in the tone. For example, there are some great clean profiles loaded at the factory and on Rig Exchange, but a lot of them seem to go to crap once you raise the gain past a very short range. I couldn't find a Hiwatt profile that I thought was good enough until I finally downloaded a commercial Hiwatt set, and that was so much better. It allowed more tweaking to the profile. Some profiles have a crappy low end that aren't like the real amps, and some lack the low end that the original amps have. Those kinds of things are a point of frustration for me.

Another thing I noticed is the volume at which profiles are made. Some seem to be done at very high volume and others seem to be done at lower volume. In the profiles that I've been doing seem to be best at a moderate volume level, a little bit above the point where it gives you an error message that there's not a loud enough signal. When I try to record with a loud amp, no matter how mic placement goes, it seems to feel less dynamic and sounds a bit dryer. Even if you fiddle with settings like tube and pick, it doesn't quite do it. Maybe that's just my perception but I've noticed that.

Anyway, the point is that I'd like to hear some tips for profiling that you learn through a lot of experience and how you can maximize the authenticity in tone and feel - as well as the tweakability of the profiled settings.

Thanks MG. Btw, I think you'll get more feedback if you post in Free rigs and profiles. ;)

Oops, haven't gotten around to exploring other areas of the forum yet. Thanks.

Thank you! I only use low-medium output pickups so these should be good. :)

I don't know if it matters to anyone else, but it seems like several factors can affect the Kemper profiles. I'm trying my best to eliminate anything unnecessary, keep things as neutral as possible rather than injecting my own preference into it, consider how it will sound through speakers and recorded directly, and how different aspects like pickups and things affect the sound and feel. So far, I think I'm very satisfied with how these came out. Hopefully now that I've got a decent understanding of how to get a good profile, it won't take so long to put some more amp profiles together.

The BE-100 profiles I've found are OK, but wanted something a little more accurate to what I hear/feel in my 2018 BE-100. I worked pretty hard doing these profiles, and think they came out really good. I carefully tweaked for a very neutral sound that has a fair range of adjustment in EQ and gain settings. The pick attack is a little spongier than the first ones I made.

Basically, I've uploaded 6 Friedman BE-100 profiles labeled "Vintage PAFs" and "Med Output PAFs." I've painstakingly tweaked them to work best with certain kinds of guitars/pickup. The vintage PAF profiles work extremely well with Strats, Teles, and low to medium output humbuckers. The mid output profiles are great for higher output humbuckers, or to fatten up single-coils a bit. It took several profiles, lots of mic adjustment, and experimenting with the refinement feature of the profiling mode. Anyway, you can find them on Rig Exchange if you're interested.

Download them and let me know what you guys think. These weren't just the average profile. I took a lot of things into consideration, compared several commercial BE-100 profiles, and experimented a lot with settings that would allow the maximum adjustment of the knobs. Some of the profiles I demoed weren't always so great after adjusting certain settings, so that was a big consideration. I think you can tweak these to a pretty good extent without losing anything in the tone.

Either way, let me know how you guys like them and leave some feedback. If you think they're good, I'll profile some other great amps and cabs for you.

FRIEDDUDE BE CLN Med Output PAFs
    FRIEDDUDE BE MED Med Output PAFs
    FRIEDDUDE BE HG Med Output PAFs

(Generally brighter overall)
    FRIEDDUDE BE CLN Vintage PAFs
    FRIEDDUDE BE MG Vintage PAFs
    FRIEDDUDE BE HG Vintage PAFs

GEAR USED:
    Mesa Boogie Open Back 1x12 With 75w Weber Silver Bell Alnico 12" Speaker
    Shure SM57
    Dimarzio Norton DP-160/Chopper set for med output profiles
    Bareknuckle Riff Raff/Mule set for vintage output profiles
    Off-Center mic 1" away from grill cloth

Not that I remember how to play these songs... My first Kemper profile. Here are the specs:

2018 BE-100
    Bareknuckle Riff Raff/Mule set used to profile
    Weber Silver Bell 75w 12"
    SM57

Short clips I recorded before work this morning. Will try to record some better clips later. Three profiles:
    Clean
    Medium gain (gain structure switch left, voice switch left)
    High gain (gain structure switch right, voice switch right)

First is the clean profile, then a very short medium gain clip with the neck pickup, then a longer high gain clip which starts with Randy Rhoads solo. Used a Dimarzio Norton and Chopper to record. Reverb & delay from Kemper. Compression from Audacity.

Click Here: My First Friedman Kemper Profile

I didn't take it that way, so no worries. It's not that I'm trying to sell anyone an argument about ear fatigue, it's just that when I initially evaluated the units, I could not figure out what appealed to me about the Kemper. As explained, I think overall I like the AX8 more in tone, feel, and features, but tended to get ear fatigue after a playing for a while. I realized that I never get that from the Kemper. Once I identified it, then I searched for why and found that it had everything to do with the IRs/cabs. Without changing any of the setting and only swapping to new cabs I downloaded, those particular patches no longer grated on my ears.

The Uberschall patch was one of them. I recorded the Tornado of Souls solo as a test. It did not sound great, and the high end was harsh. As soon as I loaded a 3rd party Bogner Uber cab, it was great. That's why my AX8 hasn't gone anywhere because I've gotten rid of the problem. Now it's just a matter of selling something else so I can keep both my Kemper and AX8.