Posts by MistaGuitah

I have tried my Kemper with a Suhr Standard with SSH+, a Suhr Classic with SSV, a Grosh NOS Retro with 3 single coils and a PRS Artist package SC245, all passive pickups. I use 10-46 for Strats and 11-48 for PRS. Action is average I think.

It’s not about technique because my classmate played it, he just played a few notes. Actually just an a minor chord could tell the difference, it sounded open and “sounded like a guitar amp”. But my kemper, hmm... I’ve owned more than ten tube heads and I now have 5 tube heads and they’re all great with the guitars I mentioned. I hate to say I’m a tube amp guy because I really want to keep using my kemper.

Well the Kemper is what it is. The only reason I can respond to your post is because it took me years and years to finally come around to modelers, and only recently after much trial and error, did I become willing to spend the big bucks for them. When I plug into my BE-100, Diezel, or any other tube amp, it's obviously a leveled-up experience from both my Kemper and AX8. I don't have any unrealistic expectations though. When it comes to practice and just improvising and coming up with riffs, it's so much easier to use my Kemper or AX8 than to fiddle with my tube amps. I wonder, have you let your teacher and classmates play through your Kemper? If so, did you still think it sounded bad when they were playing? To be honest, the Kemper nor the Axe FX/AX8 sound convincing enough between amp models/profiles through a speaker, but recorded tone is almost impossible to distinguish.

Well, as previously stated, I'm not going to declare a clear winner in any aspect. I can only give my account of what I've observed. I own a Friedman BE-100, so after spending many hours between my Kemper, AX8, and BE-100, I have to say -- to my surprise -- that the AX8 is most accurate in tone and feel... at least with the dozen or so BE-100 profiles I've tried. Keep in mind I'm judging this by the audible sound of playing through studio monitors, powered speakers, and a portable PA. When recorded directly, where both units sound best, they are both very true to the sound, but you can still hear a little more smoothness and softness from the Kemper.

I plan to profile my own BE-100 very soon, so I'll post the results of that along with the profile files. For now, I still cannot confidently decide which to let go although my preference has slightly shifted towards the Kemper. I've recently discovered that I get ear fatigue from certain patches on the AX8, but it turned out to be the cabs that were causing the problem. I downloaded some new IRs and used them on the same profile, and it solved that problem. I wish I would have discovered that before my last write-up, but oh well.

If you need those super clean FX, pick up a Line 6 M5 or a used M9 and stick it in the loop. IMO, those effects are definitely "cleaner" than the built in Kemper FX.

That said, I prefer the Kemper effects for most day to day tasks, or I'll put an actual analog effect in the loop.

Those older Line6 units were the discussion of many flame throwing arguments until the Helix came out. Now all of a sudden nobody cares. They still sound fine, and are cheap on the used market.

I have a full pedalboard of Strymon effects which I use for my tube amps. However, I used to own a Line6 M9 and thought it was outstanding for the money. BOSS recently came out with the MS-3, and having used the DD-500 and RV-500 before, it sounds like it's worth a try.

I'm no fanboi, but there are too many variables here. What kind of pickups do you use? If they're active pickups, high output ceramics, or cheap single-coils, that can all make a difference. Give some examples of the settings and profiles you use. What gauge strings? Is your action low? Maybe your guitar teacher has a fine technique, and technique has a lot to do with how good a player sounds. I've had my own struggles trying to figure out whether to go Kemper or Fractal, but I never doubted the quality of the tone - and I'm a pretty die-hard tube amp guy. I don't know man, but it sounds like something with your settings, or setup, or technique that must be off if you already tried updating your Kemper, etc.

Commercial DI profiles + commercial IRs are pretty much all I ever use now. Studio profiles provide the best representation of a real amp. But, I have to disagree that merged profiles are better than DI+IR. Merged profiles still rely on the KPA to accurately distinguish the amp from the cab when being created. They are able to do this remarkably well, however, it's not 100% accurate. I like the flexibility that commercial IRs have with mic and placement combinations that KPA commercial profilers don't provide. And, let's face it, commercial KPA profilers tend to use the same mic and cab over and over with every amp they offer which tends to make them all sound similar. Mic placement is an artform in of itself and a few profilers have that magic touch but many many IR providers do. My only issue with commercial IRs is that some of them are pretty hot. I usually run it through a DAW and bring down the levels to something that works best with the KPA. You can also be overwhelmed by the number of IR options and need to be willing to spend a lot of time with it. But, in the end, go with your ears...if it sounds good, it doesn't matter how you got there

Where can I find good quality DI profiles + IR profiles?

If you’re after cleans, which are again subjective, and you’re not making your own profiles, Bert M’s B-Verb and TAF’s Carr Slant 6 are both nice, then tons of MBritt, Tone Junkie, etc. But again what clean means, especially in context to a track, varies wildly.

I've downloaded all of the free patches. The biggest surprises were the Carr Slant, Little Walter 22, and one of my very favorite profiles is the Valvetech 25. I don't know if the Valvetech is a stock patch or not, but that one is amazing. If fact, if I come across one at a good price, I'm going to buy the real deal.

I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

Many years ago before getting into tube amps, I used to use solid state amps and processors. When I first got into tube amps, I was blown away, so I've been a die-hard tube guy since. Over the years, I've tried all the Line6 processors up until the POD HD. I even tried a Katana when the first came out. A few years ago was my first taste of Fractal, and I was blown away, but no entirely convinced. Anyway, to make a long story short, I didn't think there was anything that could match Fractal -- even Kemper -- until I actually played a Kemper.

Well, fast-forward to now. After spending a couple of hours, for the 5th day in a row, going back and forth between my AX8 and Kemper, something very familiar happened - EAR FATIGUE! Back in the day, I didn't realize what it was that made me feel sick of playing after a while, but that never happened with tube amps. I had actually decided to sell the Kemper and stick with the AX8 because I liked it more overall. However, once the ear fatigue set in, I knew I'd recognized what it was that kept me going back to the Kemper.

After that, I plugged into my Kemper and played for another hour - then played another 45 minutes or so later last night. That's the one thing that I'd get from my Axe FX II and the AX8 that I never experienced from the Kemper.

I don't know if anyone else is the same way, but the reason I can't stand solid state amps and modelers is that they grate on my ears after a while. Sometimes I'll listen to an album and really like it, but it'll grate on my ears, so I'll go and look up the gear used to record that album, if I can find it, and sure enough it'll turn out to be solid state or something. That's why I never, ever get tired of listening to classic albums recorded with loud tube amps. Perhaps it's a rather idiosyncratic thing.

Therefore, as much as I like the AX8 and prefer its features, I'm going to have to keep the Kemper because it doesn't make my ears weary. Anyway, that is what I was talking about earlier in the thread that I couldn't quite identify. There is something definitely more organic and tube-like than Fractal's stuff, and I'm not saying that to take sides or anything. I'm still very impressed by Fractal among all others. It's just that Kemper is the only one I can tolerate and enjoy for a long time.

Man, you gotta love it when people take a jab at you before offering some advice. "Unverifiable and inaccurate?" Really dude? So do you usually walk around thinking everyone else is not smart or experienced enough to give a credible assessment? Anyway, I understand what you mean, but I've spent my life taught not to make emotional decisions, so I wouldn't be good at making decisions like that. I think I agree about the toaster version, but I can't exchange my rack for one, so I guess I'll have to get a little headshell or something.Thanks for your input.

Has there been one that you've found yourself going to first more and the other you've found yourself just switching on and plugging in because you feel guilty and need to give it a fair shout?

Convenience is a huge aspect of this really. The sooner you're up and running and making music, the fewer steps you have to take between "I feel like playing my guitar" to great sound coming out, the happier you'll be.

Don't go with your head, go with your heart. Don't forget this time next year maybe you'll be able to save up and get the other unit if you really need both, by then you'll probably be really happy with whichever one you got anyway so wont need both, but that just = extra guitar :D

I have a hard time trying to discern which one I like the most. Honestly the AX8 seems to be what I gravitate to. I think it's actually very true to the amp sounds and how they tweak which is surprising since I thought the Kemper would be most authentic. It gets a more realistic, woody neck tone and the effects are a level up than the Kemper. However, what keeps me coming back to the Kemper is the tone and feel.

When I plug into my Friedman BE-100, the AX8 is most like it in feel and tone. The Kemper has this kind of artificial flavor, but even so, I really like it a lot. It's this squashy, juicy kind of pick attack and the feel of it is more forgiving. The Fractal stuff is less forgiving to pick attack. If you're familiar with Mesa Boogie amps, then that's what the Fractal pick response reminds me of. Kemper's pick attack reminds me of a Friedman Smallbox. Even though the Fractal seems like more authentic, whatever it is in the Kemper tone is very satisfying. I can't say what it is exactly, but I like it.

When it comes to features, the AX8 has it all in a portable package. My Kemper rack is a bit clunky. I probably won't port either one around a whole lot, but it's nice to have it all bundled in one unit.

The dealer I bought my Kemper from only had the rack versions. I wish I could exchange it for the head version, which would be more convenient for me, but they don't have any. If I could swap it for the head version, I might keep it over the AX8 simply because it would be a little easier to tote.

I don't know man. I've spent hours and hours going back and forth between them. It's not helping at all. The more I play them, the harder it is to make a choice. Damn this sucks.

Instead of profiling an amp + cab + mic, wouldn't it be better to do a direct profile of an amp and then import an IR from Celestion or something? Can this be done? Also, can the Kemper profile from the amp's line out, or does it have to have a DI? Also, does anyone offer commercial rig packs done this way?

Unfortunately, I have to let one of these units go to recover some funds and it's a very hard decision. I'll run down a list of things I've learned, and I'd like to hear some honest opinions from experienced users to help my decision. I love both units, but have my own unique needs, so this is not at all a 'this is better than the other' kind of thing.

* The AX8 has more lush, sparkling, dimensional clean tones as far as I can tell. The Kemper clean tones are outstanding as well, but the cleans sound warmer and more straightforward.

* The AX8 has a more solid sounding signal, but the Kemper has this kind of natural, organic transparency that is also very appealing.

* Both are awesome for metal, rock, and blues. The cleans are where they set apart a bit as mentioned.

* Rig manager is great, and the Kemper is so easy to use, but there are some things I wish I could tweak with some software. The Fractal software is great, but kind of annoying that it will not fit the screen of my computer (Come to think of it, the Two-Notes software is the same way).

* The ability to use different cabs is an obvious advantage of the Fractal. Some of the Kemper profiles do benefit from using cabs of other profiles, but it's still like putting a cab on a cab.

* The BIG LETDOWN from both units that I really miss from my Axe FXII XL+ is the USB audio feature. It was so nice being able to plug directly into my laptop using Audacity to record. It sucks having to have a separate interface with even more cables to manage.

* Kemper has the headphone jack which is very convenient. The AX8 doesn't, for whatever reason, even though it shouldn't have been a big deal to include one. For quick practice, I like to use some powered computer speakers instead of headphones. This also works on the AX8, but only mono (one speaker sounding) without the adapter cables to do stereo.

* Using studio monitors, powered computer speakers, power amp/amp FX return, and a powered PA, the distortion and clean tones of both units sound very similar. It's hard to tell different amps apart. However, the Kemper seems to have a little more uniqueness across rigs using this setup. Where both units are most outstanding is recording through an audio interface. That's where all the glory of each amp shines.

* I've used a few overdrives and distortions at the input of both units (Klon, TS808, Waza SD-1). The AX8 seems to be a little better at letting overdrive pedals influence the sound. The Kemper is awesome in that regard too, but it's almost like the Kemper's own sound is a bit more dominant. Still, it's just nuance and nothing really of note.

* Kemper has the most natural, amp-like feel between the two units. The AX8 has a more precise pick attack. I tried setting the pick, compression, etc... features of the Kemper, but they don't influence the feel as much as some of the settings Fractal allows. Having said that, the Kemper has the most variation of feel between amp profiles. Fractal has a little more grit, and that can be heard very well with the neck pickup. Kemper has kind of a squashy pick sound. I like it, especially when shredding, but it seems to have that on all profiles that use distortion. The Fractal is more varied between amps, so in that regard, a bit more realistic.

* I would say that there is a very slight edge given to the Kemper as far as being natural, authentic tone, but that mostly applies to anything audible. In direct recordings, I think the Kemper is still slightly more authentic than many of the Fractal patches - playing gained out metal, it's B.S. to say one can beat the other in authenticity as far as I'm concerned.

* EFFECTS - Well this always seems like a contentious point in discussions. I'll remain rather neutral because I like both. However, I'll say that I think the Fractal effects are better overall (and more of them). Kemper effects are very analog sounding in my opinion; very warm, sometimes muddy. Fractal effects can also be warm, but they're crystal clear, shimmery, and add some dimension to the sound. I do find on the Kemper that there is a very fine line where you can dial in exactly the amount of effect you need without getting too washy or muddy. It seems like the same limitation of how much you can tweak profiles from the way they were originally profiled also applies to how good the effects sound to whatever degree. Being that I'm not heavy into effects and only use them to add depth and dimension, or to play covers that require them, the Kemper gives me all that I need.

* Volume Levels - There are obviously variations on volume levels between patches on the Fractal stuff, but to be honest, the Kemper profiles vary wildly. As far as I can tell, the profiles that are very low volume in relation to all the other profiles do not sound good. By the time I get the gain and rig volume up enough to where it sounds loud and full enough, they lose something. I guess that is a result of how they were profiled. In any case, it would be nice to be able to level the rigs out a bit easier across the board. Maybe that feature is there, but I don't know as I'm still kind of new to Kemper.

* SUPPORT - OK, both Kemper and Fractal have great support. I think the Kemper forum is generally friendlier. The Fractal forum tends to have a lot of trolls that make it unfriendly for people just looking for support. Having said that, Fractal moderators do seem to try and keep their forums clean. As far as I can tell, Kemper's forum is pretty damned good.

Basically at this point, I'm liking the Kemper tonally, but leaning towards keeping the AX8 for the following reasons: it's smaller, has the footswitch built in, and would be also be usefful for using just the effects through my tube amp. However, every time I think about letting my Kemper go, I feel attached to it somehow.- for reasons I can't describe or even pinpoint. I just like it as much as the Fractal. Anyway, I've got to let one of these babies go, so I'm hoping someone can shine some light or offer another perspective to help me make this decision. Thanks in advance for your help.

Well, I managed to setup the FX loop to try my Strymon Blue Sky and it sounds great to me. It wasn't stereo, and I'm not sure what benefit that would be because it sounds really good as is. Having said that, I tweaked the reverbs a little and played around with the Kemper some more and came to the conclusion that the Kemper Reverb is actually pretty good and natural. I would say very nearly as good as my Strymon. Not having to carry around extra FX pedals is a plus, so I think I can get everything I want for now - until Kemper comes up with some new effects.

I've been using the headphone jack on my Kemper out to some powered computer speakers for practicing sometimes. It's easy to connect that way and I don't have to wear headphones to practice. The speakers I'm using are good quality but have very small cones and yield a rather thin, trebly sound. Anyone else using desktop computer speakers or monitors with their Kempers this way? If so, which ones would you recommend?

Just ordered a rack unit. It will fit better in my setup, but now I'm kinda thinking it would have been useful to have the bottom knobs like like the head version. Not a big deal. I was looking at one of those desks with the slanted 1u rack on youtube. Anyone know where to get a slant u1 like that which I can install in my own desk?

If you use Rig Manager, you can just double click on a profile to hear it on your Kemper. No need to download/store/organize etc.

That way you can very quickly listen to profiles and decide what works for you. Most of the commercial sellers have freebies that can give you an idea if their ears match what yours hear.

Thanks. I haven't dug much into Rig Manager yet so I didn't know it can do that. That's a very cool feature and certainly seems to make things easier.