Posts by Terence T

Didn't you go through all this drama 1.5 years ago in a 15 page thread? Even the inventor of the Profiler and boss of Kemper GmbH weighed in and asked you to post clips so he can check if something's wrong. You refused to do so, just like you refuse to do now.

In my opinion ... you ask for help but don't want to be helped. Guess it's time for you to just sell it and leave ... with a little less of a drama.

Well, I was about to post a sample as things were getting a little friendlier. Looks like we're back to Line 6.

If you don't like the topic, why post?

You just need to get an amp. It sounds like you've been struggling with digital amps for a long time.

You'll understand the defensive emotion when you finally find a sound you like and someone on the internet says "I had one for years and it never sounded good enough for me. Cool that you like the sound though."

I have a Marshall as I mentioned.

If someone doesn't like a Les Paul, it doesn't bother me. Why would it?

One more time...

Do you have decent headphones? If so, how do things sound in the Kemper headphone output (not the interface output)?

Also, try hooking the Adam A5X directly to the Kemper, not through the interface.

Cheers, and don't give up yet!

Thanks for the suggestion man...

Yeah, I have decent headphones and have tried all the outputs :) Yes, I have hooked up my monitors to the Kemper. Sounds better without the additional conversion of course.

There is not need for all of this to go down the path that it is starting to. Can we get this back on topic of helping.

Sure. I was actually going to post samples before some Line 6'r entered the thread. Now I'd rather not. I'll check out your youtube channel and if you have any suggestions let me know.

I did say that I've played another Kemper, which sounded the same.

Be interested to hear samples from those who are happy with the Kemper.

Old enough to not take things like this personally/defensively and to know getting pissey with ppl trying to help me when I open a "whinny" thread won't get me anywhere.

But not old enough to simply stop posting on it it seems.

Reminds me of the Line 6 Pod fanboys. Say anything which may remotely criticize their beloved POD and they eventually start throwing their digital toys out the pram.

So once again, how old are you? And lets hear your samples. Be interested in hearing what you've done with your gear.

For me, the Kemper is like any other piece of gear. It takes time and effort to hone the sound that works for you.

One thing I wouldn’t worry about is the selling of one though. It keeps its value extremely well because Kemper have upgraded the software instead of hardware.

Nearly 2 years is quite a bit of time. I really gave it a go. A £100 SM 57 may work out more than 10 times cheaper, if I have to struggle in the same way.

With respect, some of you aren't reading what I wrote.

Here's the latest profile I downloaded. He gives samples that have not been mixed. It sounds good, which is why I bought it.

The results I got weren't close in terms of quality. And yes, I know different guitars sound better but the results shouldn't be inferior.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Sell it and move on. Not every piece of equipment works for everyone. I don't see tweaking fixing your issues. I'm not trying to be negative but I've owned equipment that others thought sounded great and for me it was a big Meh..., e.g. I have an 11 Rack staring me in the face as I type. I decided to use it as a audio interface rather than take a huge haircut. Otherwise its a $700 monitor stand. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and try something else.

I agree with this. Had the same issue with the POD, everyone raved about it and I never got into it.

Also, one thing I should mention, which you are probably already aware of, is the difference in tone b/w what sounds good for a recording vs what sounds good as a player in the room.

For recording, you actually want a thinner, more middy, less bass heavy sound (b/c the bass guitar and drums will fill that part of the spectrum in the mix), while when playing live, especially alone, you want a thicker tone.

The Kemper, as well as the modelers, are essentially emulating the tone you would get in the mixing room when you mic the cab and are listening through studio monitors, which is a shitty tone for playing live if you are looking for that in-the-room cab tone. Many say you can't get that tone from the Kemper but I disagree, it's very doable but of course will never be the same since you're using smaller speakers in the monitor and you won't be moving much air. I rarely record and use it exclusively for replacing my head/cab setup, and the results I'm getting I am very happy with. I usually need to activate pure cab, boost the lows (via a post-rig studio eq) a bit, maybe add a boost, maybe play around with the cab high/low shift filters.

Finally the guitar/pickups you use will naturally affect the tone, so unless you play with the same gear that the producers used in their sample videos your tone will sound different. Plus, you never know what reverb or post-processing the producers used for those videos.

Hold on to the Kemper, it can do what you need, you just need to get your head around what it is and how to manipulate it to get the tone you are looking for. I was so frustrated it with it the first month and missed my return window and got depressed that I was now stuck with a 2k paperweight, but now am so happy I can't believe I waited so long to get it.

I appreciate that the tone through mike-monitors/headphones isn't always going to sound perfect live. But it should sound 'good.'

Should of added earlier, clean tones are great, bass is usable. Its mid-high gain which is the problem. For example, the topjimi profiles I have sound quite warm, but are muddy. The Mix Berlin profile mentioned sounds more defined but very harsh. As I said, the latter sounds nothing like the demo they put on youtube. Not the final mix that they do, but the samples they claim are not post processed.

Yes, different guitars and pickups will sound different. My Les Paul through my Marshall will sound different to my American Strat. But neither will be inferior. When I use any of the profiles I've purchased, they sound inferior.

Have tried a different Kemper, sounded pretty much the same. Compared my Kemper with a Helix, the latter just sounded pure digital to me. Couldn't stand it. I've never been able to use the VST's everyone goes on about, because to my ears they are very, very harsh.

Be great to know exactly what post processing these commercial profilers are doing, but they keep insisting they don't post process. Yet the profiles they sell me, don't sound like their demos. And round and round we go....

I haven't profiled my amp, but surely the joy of the Kemper should be to have access to a multitude of amps I wouldn't normally have access to? If I just wanted to record my amp, it would be cheaper just to get a mike an maybe build an iso cab.

Cheers for the reply.

I'd agree, if the profile doesn't sound good out of the box it never will. And I've tried everything over these couple of years. Never made much of a difference really.

Was tempted to get a refund on the Kemper withing 30 days, decided to stick it out which has proved a mistake.

If gear doesn't sound good to you out of the box, it never will really. Respect to those its worked out for, but my ears have actually become fatigued.

So after nearly two years, I've reached a permanent wall with my Kemper.

I'm just sick of thin sounding, digital distortion. Sick of downloading profiles which sound nothing like the sellers demos. Gave Mix Berlins Rudeking Recto profile a go recently. Felt like I was going through a POD, it was so harsh.

Any suggestions before it goes up for sale? Yes, I have tried the sens.

Going through an RME Fireface UC to Adam A5X monitors.