Posts by Terence T

It's a profiler, so will only sound as good as the profiles. Some may have to try quite a few to find at least one they can use.

It's digital gear and not a tube amp. Many get upset when this simple fact is pointed out, and are willing to fight to the death over it. It can be a great digital representation of a tube amp, I would say the best available today. But its still digital. So it may not satisfy some.

Haven't had a problem with unwanted noise, but certainly couldn't get satisfying sounds from the Kemper to start off with.

Many of the demos on YouTube, they're post processing and mixing. So your not going to get the same results as they are, with the same profiles.

Many are also using high end interfaces.

Topjimi isn't post processing his demos, so though they do not sound as polished as others, its closer to what you're going to get when you buy the profile. IF you have an interface of a similar quality, which you don't.

However, the main difference is in the profiles themselves. It's taken me a while to find a few profiles that I use. They really do vary in quality. Two of them were actually free, do have a look at the free profiles going.

First of all, profiles definitely, definitely do not sound the same. For me, picking the profiles that work for me has been absolutely key to getting good results out of the Kemper.

You've got some good monitors there. For me, I'm happy playing through some basic Creative gigaworks, or my Adams A5X. Obviously, I prefer the Adams!

If possible, plug your Kemper into different monitors and see how that sounds. How does the POD sound directly in your monitors? If your happy with that, then I'd say the issue is with the profiles you're using.

As for the interface, you may need an upgrade. I cant use anything less than an RME, but Im super fussy. But first plug into different monitors and try other profiles. A Topjimi sorted me out, for others they highly recommend MBritt.

The clip you've linked, he's used some sort of post processing and mixing. With topjimi, his samples on youtube are pretty much what you're going to get, depending on your interface of course.

Yeah, it sounds pants I aint going to lie. Heard better from a POD back in '04.

I've had a long journey getting a good distortion tone.
    For me, it was a TopJimi profile which sorted me out, the Marshall Jubilee. However, I don't play as heavy as you.

I find it very organic, you can hear that on the sample here

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Post EQ with FabFilter has also helped loads, and I only use Valhalla Room for reverb. The Kempers reverb remains off.

This was what worked for me, and believe me I tried many things for hours. Adjusting the Kempers Sens etc didn't make much difference for me, but others swear by it. I simply make very subtle adjustments to the EQ of the TopJimi Kemper Jubilee profile.

There's a huge difference in different profiles, as far as I'm concerned. So a good place to start is trying loads of profiles. I rate TopJimi as what you hear in the samples is pretty much what you'll hear when you get the profile. Others tend to advertise their profile when its been mixed. Unless you have equal mixing skills to them, you wont get the same result with their profile.

This profile is on my shopping list.
    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Glad to hear that its worked out for you.

I also struggled in the beginning, judging the unit on its stock presets. What did it for me was a (removed by mod) Marshall Jubilee profile. It took me ages to find the right profile.

Obviously many out there, have found umpteen profiles that satisfy, but like finding the right amp with the right mike in the right position, this was my breakthrough point.

On the subject of interfaces, some will say your interface is fine, some use interfaces that cost as much as the Kemper.

I've been through a few interfaces in the last 14 years, and now have an RME Fireface 400. I won't settle for anything less than that. Had an EMU 1616M before that, one day support disappeared leaving no drivers for future version of Windows. So that's something I consider, when going with a new company!

I'd say that if your going to spend so much on a Kemper, it's worth at least trying a more expensive interface at some point.

Your demos do sound good quality though. With interfaces I find that your sometimes paying considerably more, for maybe a 5-10% improvement.

All subjective at the end of the day.

Hello all, so I installed the latest operating system via a USB stick.

After that, there was some distortion on my Kemper screen that wasn't there before, line of pixels is basically missing. So where it says 'Bass, Middle,' etc the letters are split in two along a horizontal line.

On a more minor note when I turn the 'type,' knob for reverb and delay, I can go into the stomp section for distortion, modulation etc . Wasn't able to do this before and its a bit annoying. Screen is obviously the main concern though.

If anyone could advise, that would be appreciated.

Running your question through google translate, looks like your asking about connecting your Kemper to RME interface.

I have the Fireface UC, the spdif cable is connected from the spdif out on the Kemper to spdif in on the Fireface. I use this cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pr…_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

The convertor you mention is not necessary. A studio is as good as the weakest component in the signal chain, I wouldn't let that thing anywhere near my setup. Your going for one the top of the range RME interfaces, with some excellent convertors. You don't want any unnecessary convertors in the signal chain, least of all something that is dramatically inferior to your RME.

In the Fireface USB settings, you select optical in, which means the Kemper is then the master clock source. You select your desired bit rate with the Kemper.

You can also run a guitar cable from the main output of the Kemper to one of the mic/line inputs on the front of the Fireface.

In my experience, the RME is a very stable interface. Best I've ever used.

+1 to the Monitor change
    I saw your other thread on the "fizzy" issue you were having with distortion sounds. I was having a similar issue on certain profiles and I figured it either had to be how I was EQing the profiles, some other setting(s) in the Kemper that I was missing, or just my ears failing on me (or...all of the above).

However, considering I've gotten other good sounds out of the Kemper unit up to this point, I figured it had to be something in the signal chain (as minimal as my setup is). I was using 18 year old Event monitors for recording up to that point and wondered if they were the culprit.

Today I switched out to Mackie MR 624s and....poof! The fizziness all but disappeared. Smoother highs, better lows, and a cleaner sound overall.

They look interesting, did you get a chance to compare them with Adams?

A friend who designs studios also strongly suggests the A7x, also talking about the extra bass. May get the Yams HS 7's first, see if they satisfy.

Just to continue some positive feedback, I found a bass profile which just replaced my Amplitube Ampeg plugin which I've been using for 11 years. Its the Ampig Pamp G3 Noon by Bommet. Very impressive.

That great, making progress then! :)

I'd like to suggest the A7x as you may be happier with the added bass.

Thank you.

They are out of my budget unfortunately, I tend to practice and record quietly anyway.

I've noticed a fair few people using Yamaha HS speakers, but Im guessing the Adams would be better...

Thanks for the suggestion, no the LP and/or Marshall isn't for everyone and that's fair enough, we're allowed to have different tastes in gear.

I couldn't find the thread, be interested to check it if you could post a link.

Not sure what you meant about downloading the actual mixes in my DAW?

Cheers...

So following on from my thread where I'd reached a wall, thought I'd keep my opinion balanced by sharing how I've gone a little bit beyond the block lately.

I've gone through most of the profiles I have and found myself settling on Mix Berlins JCM 800. It's a bit of a 'blank,' profile, that is you don't just bring it up and its ready to go. Not sure if they intended it to be that way, but whereas the TopJimi profiles seem to be ready to go out of the box the Mix Berlin JCM 800 tends to need adjustment.

What I've been doing is tweaking the Mix Berlin profile to my individual guitars and saving what works. With my LP, I've been turning the bridge pick up down slightly. Could be the pick up needs adjusting, guitar's due a trip to the Luthier so will find out.

Applying this, I've been far happier with my practice. Recording is better but not quite there, but there has been progress since I last posted.

Considering upgrading my monitors to Adam A5x, they'll probably help also.

Bit of advice please guys. I sold all my gear a few years ago but have recently got back into gigging/recording. I’m currently using a TSL100 borrowed from a friend, but decided that I’d get a powered Kemper as it’s an investment and I’d never need another amp again. However, when it came to actually shelling out the 2k I had a bit of a crisis of conscience… ie, my wife would go crazy if she found out. I’m basically wondering if I can save some money by using a valve amp live and modelling software for recording. I play hard rock/heavy metal so I’d just go for a good old DSL50 for live purposes – I can pick one up for around £350. That’s the easy part. I know very, very little about recording but it’s something I’m slowly getting more into. Can anyone advise if there are any guitar amp software packages that can compare to the Kemper? I use FL Studio so it would need to interface with that somehow – as I say, I’m a bit out of my depth here. I don’t mind spending a few hundred quid on decent software if overall it will save me in the region of a grand compared to the Kemper. Any help much appreciated.

Its very subjective is the easy answer. Presuming you mean Marshall TSL 100? I had a Marshall TSL 60 and currently have a DSL which I'm happy with.

Start cheap and see if your happy with that, recording can eat into your budget quickly. Saying that, if you know your in it for the long run investing in a good interface is advisable. RME if you can afford it, otherwise MOTU, Focusrite could be good options.

Try VST's/Amp software and see if that works for you. You can demo all the software out there. If it does work, your going to save money. The other option would be to get a load box and connect your amp to your interface. About £500 for the load box. Mike the amp if your living situation allows, for the price of a mike and some time to learn about miking.

Getting a Kemper isn't the cheapest option. Many seem to be happy with it, I have been struggling. But I will say its better than the Helix which I returned very quickly. But many are completely happy with the Helix. Try them for yourself.

I've received a message from a member of this forum, he pointed out that critical conversations are difficult on this forum due to the fanboys.

Now there will always be idiots online, especially during school holidays. And I appreciate that many of you have been trying to help. But there are some of you that are sounding like Line 6 fanboys of yesteryear. Used to be anyone who spoke out against POD or Ax FX literally faced online bullying. On this thread, little twat boy LiamUK thinks that I should end my life as I don't like his toys and he's probably just failed his GCSE's.

If the Kemper really is that good, why do people need to throw insults to prove it? Why do people get ganged up on and chased off forums, if this product is the ultimate and making you so happy? Someone who has to resort to insults, doesn't sound too happy to me.

It doesn't affect me if somebody doesn't like the Fender Strat. POD fanboy spewing hatred online, probably doesn't use POD anymore. I'm still using the Fender Strat. Real contentment with gear is a timeless thing, and if its real contentment it shouldn't be getting you angry.

I did not say it sounds good, but better than the clip before.We can exclude , that there is technical problems in the profiler or the following signal flow.
    Still some question remains, including if you checked other profiles.
    How about the tone control again?

Thanks for the response. I've tried every profile on the Kemper website, put the tone controls in many different positions. My strats are sounding ok in the bridge positions but not great.

Personally, I wish someone would delete the whole of this thread. It seems, despite expert advice/suggestions, the OP is content to continue, ad nauseum, this pointless quest of not supplying adequate information in order to allow a satisfactory conclusion to his issues. Subsequently, being hyper critical of a unique unit, which really seems like a case of 'a bad workman blaming his tools'. A UK saying...

I confess, I just wish he'd throw both his Kemper and himself off a cliff....
    My eyes & ears are bleeding from this infinite whining.

You absolute twat.

Your blocked, don't forget to have the final say.