Posts by Terence T

A pro studio could take a POD HD and get better results than me. I think the comparison with a pro studio isn't an accurate one, as I'm not a pro studio or engineer and most of us here are not.

And don't forget, many pro studios and players are sticking to miking amps.

Thanks in advance for sending the package.

I'm not insulting your beloved Kemper, and if you didn't like my Marshall it wouldn't bother me. We're not kids in a playground. It was wasted money for me, but not for you. Good for you, I'm happy that others aren't having the same difficulties I am. And I wasn't saying I have better ears than anyone.

However all that have commented on my clips, apart from Mr Kemper, say the same. Its not sounding good.

The Kemper may sound exactly like any amp you want for you, for me that hasn't been the case.

Now, unless some of you are rich you know what being a musician is like. You spend all of your money on music, including money you don't have. When I said I felt ripped off, its because I've spent a lot of money on a piece of gear that isn't delivering. Sorry if my experience is annoying for you. But I do think its insecure to want everyone to love something you love, and get annoyed when they don't.

Thank you, but I've done all of that earlier in the thread. Answered the questions also.

RME Fireface UC.

Gibson LP Studio, Fender Strat CP 50's, Fender Strat Highway 1.

I still have not been told WHAT the tone is on the LP that he is after, give me a song or example , out of the 5,000 rigs i have in RM (my RM takes 3 mins to load :D ) I can tell you i can find this sound. Whilst my asshole points to the ground i can tell you i have it. Do the DI thing too dont get me wrong, but what is the tone or sound you want just send me a clip or pm already please.

Ash

I've answered this earlier.

I'm after quality tone. Once again I'll explain. I plug my guitar my Marshall or a friends Messa, Orange, Vox, I get a good quality tone. I plug into my Kemper, I do not. If you look through this thread I've given details on the profiles used, some members have been kind enough to mail me profiles to try. I've gone through all the suggestions listed here and it hasn't made a difference.

I'm away right now, when I get back I'll try the DI suggestion. But in light I've what I've experienced so far, I think its more probable than not that this isn't going to solve the problem. Mr Kemper has listened to my clips and pretty much said that that is the way a Kemper sounds. I'm inclined to believe him.

My experience so far has indicated that for £1,400 I've been chronically ripped off. Wish that wasn't the case, but that's where I am today.

T. Apparently you can play loud enough on the Marshall to know it sounds good yet you won't try a profile on it.So buggin the neighbors excuse is bullshit
    These guys sincerely want to help you but I think you're just fuckin around for the hell of it.
    Post something or Quit please.
    You have proven one thing though, Lots of good hearted people own Kemper's. :thumbup:

Actually, the Marshall sounds good at low volumes to me. I never said anything about having to crank my Marshall to get a good tone. Take it easy mate, you don't have to post if your getting annoyed. You may not like my amp, I wouldn't hold it against you. We can all have different tastes in gear.

When I can, I'll post the DI track. You said the same thing about me not posting samples. I did post samples and if you look back on the thread, Mr Kemper himself said that it sounds good to him, and there's nothing wrong with the Kemper.

I have a TNL & a Kemper.
    They both sound fantastic! Depending on the day, I think one chain is better than the other, but the real truth is either would work well for my hi gain stuff.

I get the general impression that they sound similar. Massive price difference though. I would have save £1,000 by getting a loadbox. Could have got a new head and a load box, for the price I paid. I'll probably annoy many people by saying this, but I do feel I paid too much for the Kemper, considering the results I'm getting.

@ the OP
    The trouble is, tone is subjective. If you like the sound of your guitars through your amp, that’s your tone. Whether another amp or guitar costs 10 times as much doesn’t matter, if you don’t like the tone. Hence why I and others have suggested you profile your amp.

Many people love MBritt profiles. However, there are some on the forum that just can’t get along with them. Is it because they’re rubbish? Or is something wrong with those users’ Profilers? No, they just don’t get along with MBritt’s tone. It’s sounding more and more like that might be the case with you, though I admit that your first clip sounded off to me.

Most of the results I've been getting sound a bit off to me. I have been getting some ok results on occasion, then I get back to this wall.

Some people may like a Boogie but not a Marshall and vice versa. I think we can agree though, that's personal taste as they are both excellent amps. This isn't a case of that's a good tone but not for me, I'm struggling to get a good tone.

If I play through my Marshall, its instantly good. I may adjust the EQ but that's not because it sounds bad. If I play through my Kemper, I'm dialing just to get it to sound good. I have to go through tons of profiles to get a usable sound, not just a good sound.

Thanks for that insight.

Would you say that your getting better results than using load boxes/mike, or at least on par with the benefit of saving time?

I'll check those vids out. But there's plenty of vids around where people are getting better results than me, using the same gear. Look at Pete Thorne, his demos are outstanding. Would I get the same sound with the same gear? Not even close. Before the Kemper I went and bought a UAD Apollo with UAD plugins. I watched a video which claimed, 'this is the sound you'll get, without eq or compression. Just plug in and play.' In my setup, it sounded terrible. UAD had absolutely no answer or suggestions when I sent them clips. So I sent the interface back, and I wont be using UAD again.

My point is, many of these youtube vids aren't very helpful for the average player (that's me) with a humble living room setup. I'm not going to get the same results with my Kemper hooked up to my PC via RME interface, as Pete Thorn does with a laptop and VST's.

I'm forever looking for the magic button, the missing technique to my recording. Be great if someone could release a video on that!

Its not possible in my living situation to record my amp, which is why I got the Kemper. What I'm thinking of doing eventually, is making a cupboard into an iso booth and miking the amp.

As for profiling my own amp, is that going to sound any better than the profile of a much more expensive amp, profiled by a professional? One of the big selling factors of the Kemper, is that I can have access to amps I wouldn't have access to otherwise.

For those of you that do mike your amp or use a load box, are your results better or worse? Would love to hear side by side comparisons. I don't expect a load box or mike to sound considerably better with my skill level, however a mike is £200, a load box around £500. That's nearly a thousand pounds saved going with those options. I've read other forums where people who already mike/load box their amps are splashing out the cash on a Kemper. For those of you that did that, was it worth it?

Anyway, like I've been saying I've taken the plunge and will keep swimming for a while.

DI tracks to come shortly.

Feel for you, must be so frustrating. I don't think it is that the Kemper is not for you because I think most people here agreed the sound clips weren't quite right.

Ultimately that doesn't help you though, we'll keep trying as long as you do...

I'll keep trying with it. The new price has just dropped by a £100 in the UK which means they'll be selling used for less now. So I'll give it to the end of this year, as I'll be losing money selling it used.

Damn, knew I should have got that new Marshall head and load box....

As a last ditch effort, I'd try recording a DI of your Les Paul, upload it here and let another user re-amp it through their Kemper. You'll at least find out whether it's the Kemper or your guitar.

Thanks, yeah I'll give that a go. Its not sounding great with all three of my guitars though, so both the strats as well as the LP. The strats sound better than the LP, but only on the bridge pick ups. All guitars sound great through my Marshall JCM 2000.

The last thing would be to profile your amp(s), if they’re sounding good in a recording. That is, after all, the reason the KPA was conceived and created in the first place, otherwise you may as well stick to VSTs.

VST's for me sound awful with distortion/high gain. Thats one of the reason why I bought the Kemper. The next step for me is to try load boxes with an amp head, A Marshall JVM head and load box costs about the same as a Kemper.

Latest update, I've gone over all the info here and tweaked for many hours.

Fact is, I'm still at the wall. I've given up on trying to record the Les Paul, my strats sound ok at the bridge position. I'm pretty much at the same wall I was at with my old POD. I'm sticking to it for now, but its all tweaking and little recording, and I paid a lot of cash to not do that.

I'm keeping an open mind and hoping to see the light, but I'm not sure what else there is to try here.

It just may be the case that the Kemper isn't for everyone. I may get new monitors in a few months, but everything that sounds good/bad through my headphones sounds the same with my current monitors

Haven't had a chance to look over the replies in detail, but would just like to thank everyone for being so helpful.

This clearly is a different kind of forum, and has helped me to keep trying with the Kemper.

Cheers all.

That sounds much better.
    Definition high and using the bridge pickups drastically change the sound to the better, I think.
    Anyway, you have your guitar tone control all the way up?

The Les Paul, neck PU 9 and bridge 7.5.

The Strat, neck 10, bridge 4.5.

So the Kemper is doing its job correctly?
    The LP sounds normal through my Marshall, I could take it to a luthier and have it checked to make sure.