Posts by Locrain

Same here. Didn't use stomps through any high-gain valve amp I had, I'm not about to start now. I'd be all for better ODs, distortions, especially a real good fuzz, but it's not such a bit deal to me.

haha!!, yeah the fun with Skitany's rigs will last longer than the games in the ps4 pro and xbox one X :D

Ash

Luckily he emailed them to me just in time to check them out real quick before I go to bed.

You didn't lie Ash, it's a good pack! Very rock-oriented, like you said, which is nice...well, because that's what I play, and most of the VH4 profiles are fairly high-gain (though there is a lot of varity, Soundside for example). Since it's late, I'm having to play through my headphones (HD650s), which I really do not like compared playing through my monitors. And I have to say, there was a weird honk that I was able to almost eliminate by turning off the stomp noise gate. But all that could be down to the headphones, pickups, whatever. I'll know more tomorrow.

But regardless, they're very good, and a little different from the other VH4 profiles I have, which is really nice. Good crunch, good clean, they'll rock as hard as you need, and many of them sound very different from each other without becoming unusable. I think he did a good job of capturing the versatility of the amp, without bogging me down in endless choice (here's lookin' at you, Choptones, haha).

Overall, it's an excellent pack, the cost of lunch, 22 profiles for 10 euro, can't beat it. There are a lot of VH4 packs out there, but I think this is especially worth keeping in mind.

Well Ash, you just cost me 10 euro. And I really didn't need more VH4 profiles. :D

I don't see any place to download, does he email the packs to us manually?

You just need a USB-a to USB-b cable, male-to-male. Then you hook it up, and it couldn't be any easier.

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonB…gid=pla-83922868406&psc=1

Edit: Regarding the packs, yes there is a difference. The Top Jimi profiles on Rig Exchange are just a sampling of what they have to offer, just so you can see if you like the way they profile (that's important).A full pack would have many more settings/channels/profiles than what you see on RE.

I think it is completely unique economic behavior, different than what always has surrounded digital amps.

Axe-FX III is already shipping, I wonder how the resale on the original models is...?

It's not as guitar heavy as some of the stuff here, but Frightened Rabbit has become one of my favorite few bands over the last year or so. Scott was a great lyricist/songwriter, he will be missed.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Not sure how you would do individual string transposition without a Hex pickup on your guitar.

Yeah, I don't see this really being a feature anytime soon...

I like the Transpose feature, but I wish it worked a little better as well. It sounds great, better than any similar effect I've tried, but I can't go more than 2-3 semitones in either direction before it starts to sound very processed. It's not really a bad thing...but it's pretty noticeable with anything 2 steps or more. Then there's the lag. I can see using it for bar band cover stuff, but anything else, I think it's still worth bring another guitar or two to the show. It is cool though...

Thanks man!

Yeah, that little chug (it's actually muting the strings and "chuck"ing them real hard)/kick fill thing when everything drops out is a trick I picked up from one of my all-time favorite bands, Daughters Of Mara. You've never heard of them because Virgin signed them, had them do an album, and then shelved it so DOM wouldn't compete with their star acts. So they broke up and never went anywhere. Very sad, I haven't heard many bands like them. The heaviness and technical proficiency combined with Shawn's hook/pop choruses and his scream...it's about as good as it gets for me. Definitely check them out on Spotify or Youtube if you like tight hard rock/metal with amazing riffs and a mind-blowing drummer...

Ok...back on topic...

Really enjoying the cleaner tones here, seems like my other BE-100 profiles don't have much cleans in them, but the amp can do it...

There a few great packs for metal in Rig Manager.

For modern metal, my first stop would be the Lasse Lammert and Lars Luettge (might be labelled Tonehammer) ones.

Older stuff can be a bit trickier, mostly because it seems like everyone's obsessed with the honkiness of a tube screamer + V30s. The Choptones and Michael Wagener packs are really good though.

I'll second this :"Lasse Lammert and Lars Luettge", they are fantastic, forgot about them. I also really enjoy Keith Merrow's free pack for some of the heavy lifting.

Eh, it's your thread. :D

Back on topic: These profiles rock my socks.

I literally randomly picked out a profile, S2 V30 X04, and threw down a little scratch track for this song I'm working on. Please forgive my abysmal playing and production quality, I'm out of practice with the first, and just starting to learn with the latter.

So hopefully this clip doesn't scare anyone away, because the pack is REALLY good. :D

https://soundcloud.com/user218712932/s2-v30-x04

Payment sent, my body is ready.

I've got a decent amount of Pitbull profiles (mostly David Bendeth/various other STL profilers and Sinmix), but I don't have any that specify Ultra Lead except Pete Turley's, so I'm not sure which are CL and which are UL. David Bendeth's are very good, but I am definitely looking forward to this pack. This is one of my dream amps that I just never pulled the trigger on, I am excited to see some new profiles for it!

There are LOTS of good free profiles out there, and many very good for metal. They do not come stock with the Kemper. Like was mentioned, go to the free rig section of the forum. Also, I believe Sinmix has a free download pack, and I'd be real surprised if his stuff doesn't do it for you. Rig Exchange is hard to find stuff on. It's best to read through the free rig section of the forum, and then find those on RE.

I imagine 75%+ of the battle is finding a profile I like a lot from the get go yes? On that note, are there any universally good/popular metal profiles (it would be nice to start with free ones) that I should start with? Finally, on that same note, what would you say is the best method for searching for profiles? It was tiresome just going through all of the factory profiles and I understand that there are many times more available on the rig exchange and around the net.

These probably silly questions and/or ones that have been asked many times before and if so I am sorry. On the other hand, thank you for any and all input! :)

I really didn't think I needed this pack, I already had about 250 BE-100 profiles, some which I really love (George Alayon, also Kris Crummet and David Bendeth from STL), but I read through this thread, listened to some clips, saw the price, and couldn't resist. I haven't a chance to go through everything, but there are some great, great profiles here.

Professional profilers take note: This is how you combat piracy. Updates like this build goodwill, and erase almost every incentive to pirate the pack. Plus the price is extremely fair for what you're getting.

Looking forward to spending some quality time with this pack today.

While I'm only a mere scholar in mixing (compared to true masters like @wwittman) I've always practiced LCR panning since I learned about it years ago. It works, period. 'Space' in a stereo field is not so important in itself, it’s the space an instrument occupies in the frequency range that's much more important.That's why the Beatles in mono sound awesome and powerful.
    Concerning filling the gaps: Listening on headphones I find pseudo stereo recordings of the Beatles with the backing on one side and voices etc. on the other a bit annoying when listening to it for a longer period of time.
    That’s why when EMI re-released the Beatles material on CD in 2009, I bought the stereo edition, but then I put the stereo files into Studio One and narrowed the stereo field by 20%. It's still stereo but not with 100% separation, and it’s certainly more glorious than mono.
    I wonder to this day why Sir George Martin didn’t come up with that before.

Thank you for your input. I'm convinced, and excited to try it. It makes so much sense to focus on the frequency "space" instead of the stereo image "space". I knew that carving out EQ was more important than panning, but EQ makes sense to me in a mechanical sense (not that I have it mastered at all, but I think I 'get' the concept fairly well), whereas panning was always confusing and nebulous, it never really "clicked" while recording. Makes sense that I was going about things the wrong way.

Honestly, this is kind of a relief. As long as I get my gain staging right, track well and LCR pan, it'll make it so much easier to focus on EQ/compression/etc. Because something that was always in the back of my head was that maybe my mixes didn't sound as good as they could because I wasn't getting the panning right. Beyond a few basics (rhythm guitar hard l+r, bass/kick/vox/ down the middle), I really didn't know what to do, and I wasn't getting anywhere with making tweaks and listening. So now I'm told I don't even have to sweat it...I'm good with that. :D

I get what you guys are saying about headphones, the Beatles in stereo vs mono, and all that. Headphone listening is not that important to me. I have a pair of HD650s that I switch to to check levels, and as a reference, since my monitors (KRK) are pretty hyped. But I don't plan on mixing on them much. And as I think about it, LCR panning might make it easier to mix on 'phones...?

I was listening to a Big Wreck (who's production I really admire) song the other day on headphones, and the extremeness of the panning did mess with me a little, until the band came in. I was wondering why they didn't spread it out a little more. Now I guess I know. :)

It's a little confusing to me too, it's just very different from how I "thought" it should work. But even though the author says he will sometimes still use internal positions, it certainly seems to be the exception, not the rule. So normally he's panning hard, even on dense productions, at least that's how it reads to me.

What I have always been told is that you need to give everything it's own "space" in the stereo field, and to pan things somewhat as they would be on stage. But it was never something I was very good at. So I am excited to try panning everything hard or leaving it in the center. I can already tell it's going to be a hard habit to break, I am so used to using internal positions on things like lead guitar parts, or vocal harmonies.

I would have the exact same concerns you do about your more dense productions. The idea of having all those tracks and not using the full stereo field through internal panning is like nails on a chalkboard, haha. But from that article, and from Will's posts, it really looks like the way to go. I'm excited to remove one more variable from my mixing at least. :D

Really great advice !! BUT what about high/low gain advice ..is there any ? all good if not thanks for posting all this :)

Ash

Exactly what I was wondering. I usually pan lower-gain guitars a little softer, but I'm going to guess that won't be recommended here...

Super interesting thread!