Posts by Locrain

Yes, the new one sounds better, but don't ever forget: You are your own worst critic, and probably the only person that hated the original mix...just the way it is, everyone else was probably too busy rocking out to notice the stuff you do.

That said, nothing wrong with being a perfectionist, and I do think the new mix is an improvement. You talked about "giving up" on your first mix, as if that were a bad thing. Just remember...

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." - Leonardo da Vinci

I just recently uploaded two Dual Rectifier / OD808 (clone) / Mesa 4x12 Vintage 30's / SM57 metal profiles to the Rig Exchange.

Checkout this thread for more info:

Free Mesa Dual Rectifier / OD808 / V30 / SM57 / BAE1073 MP modern down-tuned metal high gain profile

The first track of the demo clips (with "SM57x" in the name) is close to Ola's tone, imo. The guitar tone you hear on the clip is bone dry, directly taken out from the KPA's STACK output. No post-processing (EQ / reverb / whatever) on the rhythm guitar tracks other than a limiter and a bus compressor on the mix bus.

OP, for a free profile, I am not sure that you can do much better than this. Give it a try and let us know what you think? It might help to run EMGs as well, but anything modern/high-output should do alright.

'

Yes by doubling I mean real doubling. I then proceded to find the paning % to match the doubled version with the "feeling" of the delay preset. And they wheree the most similar at 25% left and 25% right.

It is true that in your takes the delay trick sounds weird. I actually only tried with chords and not with a riff with single notes like yours. I will try a similar riff and report back.

Exactly. The Delay trick "should" work just as well as the in-DAW delay that I used that worked very well. I am not an effects guy, so I am unsure of how to modify the settings to get it closer, but it should be doable...I mean, if Transpose works as well as it does, a little real-time stereo delay should be achievable?

I've been thinking of making a crude simple one myself, since I've started playing with a band again, I am convinced that I will knock off a knob or two some day. But $275 is not too bad, and they look soooo good...the Zilla will be hard to resist.

Yes, Tim rocks!

I am surprised as well, it sounds fantastic. I might have to get one myself...

That's true Frank, but it goes double for the rest of us...if youtube didn't have a 15 minute time limit, I'm not sure how long I'd watch you play... :D

I dig it! Same riff, quad-tracked like you describe. I'd probably low-pass it for a mix, but it's solid, if a little harsh on the high end. I've also enjoyed playing your profile with the famous 1960AV cab from LARS, lots of fun, sounds great too, as so many know.

Great work Holger, again!

Moderator Notice:

In most cases, Soundcloud uses a bandwidth of only 128 kbps. As a result, what you hear isn't free of artefacts, especially the high end. For critical listening and also product comparison, please keep that in mind. Users who setup a comparison should use linear wave files and supply dropbox links.

By doubling, do you mean actually double-tracking, or just copy/paste? Because an identical copied track will need some slight delay to approximate a double-tracked sound, panning won't really do anything without it (it'll basically stay in mono).

The setting above looks good, a little more delay than I normally use, but if it works, it's a decent trick. I'd guess that the EQ in the delay is to further "separate" it from the original signal and trick the ear int0 thinking it's two different tracks?

I went ahead and took a try at it. Please overlook the sloppiness and the fact that I totally lost the metronome towards the end of the last snippet, haha.

00:00 is a single-tracked guitar in mono.

00:12 is the delay settings given above, too weird sounding for me.

00:27 is without the EQ and and less delay, about 22ms, better, but still sounds like an effect, and not a double-tracked guitar to my ears.

At 00:40 is a take copied and pasted to another track, panned hard L/R, we should be able to hear that this is not any different from 00:00, except for being louder since there are two signals. Even though I have panned each one 100%, they are identical tracks, so they get summed to mono.

00:54, this is the same take as last time copied to another track just like the last snippet, except this time, one of the tracks has been delayed by 20 ms using the track inspector in Studio One, and panned hard L/R. This sounds good to me, and is the only one so far that I would consider an acceptable double-tracked "trick", I could leave this in a recording and be ok with it. You can hear the stereo "width", and the illusion that the part is double-tracked.

1:04, this is true double tracking, panned hard. It's pretty sloppy on my part (especially the end, haha, not sure what I did there), but this is true double-tracking, and I think it sounds a lot better than the 20 ms cheat method above...though if I didn't have time (for some reason) to double-track, I'd be fine using the 20 ms method within the DAW.

The mimiq effect mentioned sounds really cool, if I could add something to the DAW version of the trick, it'd be some sort of randomizer/humanizer so that it's not always exactly 20 ms behind.

Hope this helps even a little bit. :)

Moderator Notice:

In most cases, Soundcloud uses a bandwidth of only 128 kbps. As a result, what you hear isn't free of artefacts, especially the high end. For critical listening and also product comparison, please keep that in mind. Users who setup a comparison should use linear wave files and supply dropbox links.

Man i used to think musicians were good people..not all of em ..This is the first i have heard of this.

Ash

You are a lucky guy Ash. Unfortunately it is very common, sometimes it's underhanded, sometimes it is out wide in the open. It'll range from what others have already mentioned, an open requirement in contract (opening bands had to use a neutered PA), to more shady practices, like purposefully nerfing the FOH mix in variousways. And a lot of bands bring their own soundguy, so no matter how good your relationship is with the normal soundguy, there's not really a lot he can do for you. But it happens at the local level too, I have seen it and talked to other local musicians about it quite a few times. Sometimes the guy doesn't like your music, sometimes he just doesn't like you, sometimes he wants his friends to sound better.

I have always found it a sound investment to make the relationship between your band and the guy running sound as smooth as possible, they are the one person in the room that can really make a difference in how you sound, and you never know who is listening.

I dunno, I use SD3, and love it, but the more I read, the more I think I'll be adding SSD5 to the stable. I'm still really really new to all of this, and I would not at all mind having a much more mix-ready sound so I can focus on things like composition, arrangement, and learning how to run the f**king DAW. :D

Not having an editor is kind of an oversight to me, I speak partly from ignorance since I've never tried to edit the MIDI files within Studio One, but I think that's going to be a slight hit to the workflow. The editor within SD3 is really fantastic, if someone with my experience can fumble his way through it, it's pretty user friendly and a huge advantage as opposed to having to exit the vst and go into the DAW editor.

But it sounds great, it's CHEAP, and if it will make it easier for me to get a solid mix, I am probably sold on this one. I doubt the editor within S1 is too terrible, I bet it'll be fine. And I absolutely LOVE Slate's comp/limiter/virtual mix rack plugins. So probably count me in on another purchase I definitely don't need. :D

SSD5 is great for Pop, Rock, modern country and anything where the drums need to compete with a wall of guitars. The Blackbird refill is exceptional especially for Kick and snares.

Nail in the coffin. It shall be mine.

Well...that's what Steven said. But he says a lot of stuff. :D

I think that is correct...except I understood it to end when SSD 5 is released. Is it already released, or not...? I don't know. It's supossed to be, but no one has it yet right? So you should be good...I'd ask Slate man. From back in Jan:

"Any purchaser of ssd4 from now until release will receive a free upgrade to SSD5."

But I can't find it on the website...

I do have to say $149 is a really great price. SD3 was like $400!

Nice update, these 2 are my favorites out of them. I will try these out at rehearsal this week, they are pretty round and warm but I think they will cut real well. A couple quick 'n dirty clips...

This is double-tracked, no post-pro.

Moderator Notice:

And this is just one track mono, no processing either. I should have rolled the highs off a little here. Sounded good while I was tracking though! :D

Moderator Notice:

I love the high and mighty attitude: "No excuse for poor coding".

Get real, you freaking retard. Anyone can see through your freaking sham, you goddamn poser. This has been your attitude from day one.

Maybe go tell your mother stories about your tech prowess?

Let's see some code Sarge! That'd shut this loudmouth moron up.

And maybe nightlight would back off too. :D