Posts by EddieVN

Bit of advice please guys. I sold all my gear a few years ago but have recently got back into gigging/recording. I’m currently using a TSL100 borrowed from a friend, but decided that I’d get a powered Kemper as it’s an investment and I’d never need another amp again. However, when it came to actually shelling out the 2k I had a bit of a crisis of conscience… ie, my wife would go crazy if she found out. I’m basically wondering if I can save some money by using a valve amp live and modelling software for recording. I play hard rock/heavy metal so I’d just go for a good old DSL50 for live purposes – I can pick one up for around £350. That’s the easy part. I know very, very little about recording but it’s something I’m slowly getting more into. Can anyone advise if there are any guitar amp software packages that can compare to the Kemper? I use FL Studio so it would need to interface with that somehow – as I say, I’m a bit out of my depth here. I don’t mind spending a few hundred quid on decent software if overall it will save me in the region of a grand compared to the Kemper. Any help much appreciated.

I'm going to buy a Kemper and am not sure whether to go for powered or non-powered. I generally play smallish gigs where the guitars are going through the house PA.

I think my 3 options are:

• Powered head into guitar cab. Pros – Nice and easy. Cons – If lining out into sound desk, would the sound not be as good as the Kemper would not be modelling a cab?
    • Unpowered head into power stage of tube head then guitar cab. Pros – Relatively easy,though not quite as easy as the above. Cheaper, as I already have a tube head. Cons – Same as above, plus all the stuff that potentially goes wrong with tube power amps.
    • Unpowered head into powered speaker. Pros – I’m guessing this will be the optimum “on stage” sound quality. Also if lining into sound desk, the sound will already be modelling a cab. Cons – Decent powered speakers appear to be rather expensive. I have also read that they’re not generally as loud, meaning even more outlay to achieve the same volume. Also sound guys will probably not be a fan.

Can you guys pick some holes in my assessment?