Posts by ToneDeaf

Can you buy the enclosure already pre-drilled / cut? If yes, I may just get one.

(For me, drilling those 16 holes in my box was the 2nd most frustrating experience after soldering those tiny pads on the neopixels.)

Very cool. Are those backlight colors programmable?

I started something similar but much simpler before. Old enclosure I had around, a Teensy (that has native MIDI support) a few momentary switches and some NeoPixels.

Here's how mine looks - nothing like the VController :D

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/sj0WOBG.png]

Ended up not using with the Kemper as I got an FCB1010, this ugly box is currently a mute / unmute box for my mixer (as you can see from the labels). Sends MIDI commands to the mixer to mute/unmute these channels. Naturally "guitar" can mute all three of the channels for the guitar, the two for the Kemper stereo out plus the DI as well.

Anyway, I don't know the commands to pre-query the names but you may want to reach out to the custom FCB rom guys (Eurekaprom and Uno4Kemper), they may help.

@Southdakota I would imagine that in a case like that the software that Burkhard mentioned would be pretty useful. Just touch which song is played next and the MIDI command to switch to that performance/rig would be issued automatically.

On the other hand I am myself the lazy type, I would probably just have one performance with the 5 rigs (the max I think I could memorize :D ). Normal tone, Lead tone, Clean tone, Special 1 and Special 2 tones.

Saw these guys this summer with Cheap Trick and Poison.

Never heard about them before but they totally stole the show. They sounded the best, had the best connection with the audience, they were just great.

The singer jumped the barrier and ended up walking up in the audience, my 11 year old got to high five him while he was still singing. Then he (the singer, not my son) somehow climbed on top of the mixing console table and finished the song from there. Pretty epic. (This was in Gilford NH if anyone else was there.)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edit: The drummer was a blonde lady, not the dude from the clip and she was great!

If they come to New England again, we will be there.

And that is an interesting approach - essentially breaking the ground loop after the simple splitter?

Yes. The transformer basically just "cuts" the metallic connection between the two sides, so the ground part of the right hand side is not connected to that of the left part. (Naturally you can't just use any transformer, you need ones that are good getting the audio frequency AC across and have a reasonable impedance for the guitar signal.)

I just looked at the Radial ABY box that was referred to earlier in the thread. If you look at the schematics posted on their page, they do in essence the same thing I suggested, they have a transformer for one of the outputs and direct connect to the other:

http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby-detail.htm

(Very confusing that they just use the ground symbol for everything on that little drawing. The whole point is that for "OUT-B" those grounds (the connector and the transformer) are isolated from the ones on the left and "OUT-A".)

Good plan - and as soon as I pull the mains cord out of either device the noise disappears. So its mains supply borne...

It is then a ground loop that somehow gets converted? ;( into digital noise.

I think the transformer would still help, if at least one of the connections has one, if will disconnect the ground (and the signal too).

If the transformer-based A/B switch box is expensive, it may be worth getting a simple transformer based "hum destroyer". My buddy uses one of these Pyle ones, works perfectly for less than $20.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BARTW3I

Inside it only has two transformers and a couple of resistors and capacitors - I know as we took my buddy's apart. Completely passive. You could send the output of the AB box through this going to the amps. Or technically only one of the two would have to go through the box to break the ground loop.

Duh, I meant to say "Performance" above just like @Wheresthedug suggest.

Performance 21 for song 1, 22 for song 2, etc.

It also has the added benefit that you can have 5 rigs inside each Performance so if you need something for a solo in a song, that can have a completely different rig.

Just out of curiosity could you try to unplug the powered down device (Kemper or AX8) from the wall and see if you still hear the noise?

Even with the device is powered off, there is still a connection (and therefore reference) to ground. If you unplug it, that ground will be referenced - through the DPDT switch - to the other device.

I had problems not unlike yours with a simple stompbox I built with a 3PDT switch. No Kemper, just two amps.

Turns out that with my genius design I was still able to create a ground loop and add some noise, so you may want to check that you don't have one.

An isolating transformer based switch will definitely cure that.

I am little slow today but what is the conclusion?

The recorded sound samples that were posted clearly sounded better in the headphone case. What do those have to do anything with the Focusrite headphone output?

Also, direct recording the Kemper headphone out sounded better than recording it through the (analog) input of the Focusrite?

On the contrary. The more you go thru the less of difference you will notice. That's the worst anyone can do. I know I've done that.

You just have to pace yourself, like with a fine bottle of single malt. You would not want to chug that in large gulps either :)