Posts by ToneDeaf

DennisJ I understand what you are saying, however with all fairness, this is pretty confusing.

Look I think I know MIDI pretty well, just in the last 2-3 months, built a MIDI clock to analog KORG synth clock converter (from an Arduino) and a MIDI repeater (one in, 4 out with a hex inverter chip) and even I had no idea that the remote does not just use plain MIDI.

So I proudly gave a totally wrong answer myself :thumbup::P

Edit: That all being said, I would love to know what the resolution to the problem is.

This Cablink is pretty cool.

As the little picture on it suggests, if you put the two 16 Ohm speakers in series, you'll get 32 Ohms.

If you put them in parallel, you'll get 8 Ohms.

I think the powered Kemper is specified 600 Watts into 8 Ohms. So I would put the two cabs in parallel to get 8 Ohms.

Don't think you can break anything either way, it will just be quieter if they are in series.

Normally when profiling you do have a guitar plugged in but that just to make sure that you like the profile and refining at the end, not to make the initial profile. So in this sense the guitar does not have an effect on the profile itself.

Check out this video, explains pretty well, how everything is hooked up together and how profiling it done:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

paults Duh, thank you for clearing it up. I did not know that the remote and the Kemper did not talk MIDI between them. I believe that with something like the FCB1010 I have, the MIDI wiring would work.

So then something more complicated has to be going on for Kemper 1 to then send actual MIDI to Kemper 2.

Yes, from Thru to In of the 2nd Kemper.

I do not know how the internals on the Kemper are but the MIDI Thru port is basically "a copy" of MIDI In. No latency, nothing, just an "electronic copy" of the In.

MIDI Out is something that a device has to intentionally send. So for a MIDI message to be copied to the MIDI Out port, it has to be fully received by the device, a decision has to be made to send it out on the Out and then sending has to take place. This all adds some latency.

So in principle if you want two devices to receive the exact same MIDI messages, you'd want to use the Thru of the 1st to send to the 2nd.

Is this 1/2 second delay using MIDI normal?

MIDI runs at 31,250 bps (which is faster than the modems we used to use way back when) so no, MIDI will not by default introduce that much latency.

How is this supposed to work - sorry did not watch the whole video - is the Remote supposed to send the same command over two MIDI channels, one for each Kemper?

Or do they both get the same message? If this is the case, you probably would want use the MIDI Thru port as that should be basically instantaneous relative to the MIDI In receive.

or is there other things involved

Well, you may want to also plug in a guitar ;) It is that simple.

I don't remember which volume is the headphone linked to by default (it's in the manual I'm sure). If you cannot hear anything just crank the master volume and rig volume until you do.

Just did a speedtest. It naturally runs against a server close to me in the Boston area, not in Europe but I think these are pretty respectable numbers:

Ping ms 13

Download Mbps 137.22

Upload Mbps 11.94

Anyway, I'm a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a solution from Kemper to the latency issue. It feels like I've inflamed a sensitive spot (that spot being Kemper latency), because nobody has made any suggestions on the other issues I have with Kemper in my OP.

Mark, I did make two suggestions. They may not work for you but I recommended that you feed your DAW signal into the Aux-in of the Kemper.

It will not make the latency go away but at least you will hear all signals with the same latency. Which is btw what the Yamaha article is about, NOT the overall total delay from pluck to hearing.

Also, I mentioned that the article itself makes a distinction between headphones and speakers. It may be worth trying that to see if that helps.

The Profiler (say) 4 ms internal latency is something that we - people on the forum - just cannot tell you how to decrease. It is probably the minimum the Kemper engineers can get it down to. (Knowing what I know about digital processing of sound, I am actually very impressed how lot it is.)

You mentioned that you started on a piano - so did I. Piano players have it easy as an "analog" piano has basically no latency. By the time the key bottoms out, the hammer hits the string. (The string to ear distance of course still applies.) The digital world is not quite so nice ;)

Also as you saw in the thread, it is not an issue for most. That being said I understand how frustrating it must be for you if it affects your playing and no one else seems to be even acknowledging that this is a problem.

This should be pretty simple I hope.

When I search on the Rig Exchange, there is no search button and more importantly no indication that a search is going on. So I type in the search term, hit <enter> and then nothing happens for a few seconds after which the results show up.

It would be much less confusing if a rotating "wait" type visualization was shown. Also, an actual search button (in addition to <enter>) would be nice.

Yamaha, I suspect, are talking about the situation where you are hearing two sounds - eg your own vox in your head + the sound of your voice in the cans from direct monitoring or your DAW mixer

I did read the article linked and this is exactly what Yamaha is talking about.

Just straight up 2-3 ms latency really cannot have that much effect on humans, our plucking hand is 2 ms (feet) away from our ears. :)

Mark1964 Did you have a chance to see if with speakers it feels (sounds) better for you while recording? Not quite sure why the same article says it would be but probably worth the try.

Mike, I am ~30 minutes north of you. I hope that I won't have to start the snow thrower for the 3rd time this week :P

Welcome to the forum!

Wheresthedug Beautiful! As a woodworker myself, I really enjoy these pictures and the results! On the 2nd guitar what is the top made of? Looks like aromatic cedar. I did some wood turning with cedar, just as I type this message, I can smell that beautiful smell.

Also, how did you cut off the top on the fist guitar? That had to be one mighty band saw or some mad hand sawing skillz :)

Speaking of things coming off unexpectedly and wood turning, I had a ~10 inch piece of "future bowl" fly off the lathe chuck before, lucky that I am lefty (playing the guitar right handed though) so I was standing off to the side a little as I am sure that that 5 lb piece of wood flying and also rotating 800 rpm would have done some interesting dental work even through my faceshield.

The way I see it, if you do woodworking and still have all your fingers, you are doing good. ^^