Posts by absrec

I have noticed the same thing. My original intention was to use the Kemper as a "taming tool". In my head it made sense. I always felt like I was killing the front row with my 50watt head and 2x12 cabinet despite getting constant compliments on my tasteful stage volume. The first few gigs I played with the Kemper were a struggle. I figured I could play full out distorted profiles on certain songs and ultra clean profiles on others. Except all at appropriate volumes. What I heard from the amp was either muddy or abrasive. Couldn't seem to find that sweet spot. It wasn't until I started turning it up to a point where I could hear and feel it that it started to sound like I remembered those profiles sounding in my studio. I think the key is to blend it to the rest of the band as well as you can. For the volume you are playing at, tweak it to sound right. If that means brightening up a clean tone or darkening up a gain tone, so be it. I think it comes down to the way our ears hear and the fact that you're probably still playing with a cabinet aiming at your calves. What we hear coming out of the amp is more than just the way the amp sounds but what it sounds like in a given environment.

I have noticed this exact behavior when profiling with RM open. What I normally do after creating and saving a profile is go to browser mode and skip one rig either direction and then back to the one I just saved. From there I can make changes, resave, etc. And it USUALLY doesn't save over the previous rig. I have still lost a few captures despite how cautious I've had to be about this. I've started documenting settings quite heavily which allows me to go back and redo a capture if/when this happens. If I don't do this, when I hit the [Store] button, the only option I'm given is "Store as". It's almost like it knows that it's about to erase something you don't want it to.

If I switch to Performance mode after saving a new profile, the rig I just made will be in whatever slot I had loaded in performance mode the last time I used it. Same process there. I scroll one performance (either up or down, doesn't matter) and then back. The performance is now exactly as it was the last time I saved it. That way, I don't accidentally (or unknowingly) save that rig into an existing performance.

It seems a bit limiting to have to close RM just while capturing profiles. I like to keep the editor open. That way, as soon as the profiling process is done and I'm about to Refine I can see at a glance what the Definition is. I feel this is nice to see just in case it's way different than what you were hearing/expecting. It's also interesting to see how it changes after the refining process. How it changes depending on what pickup you use or how long you spend Refining. It's helpful data to have at your disposal and helps to train your ear so you can make more informed decisions. Or to understand how the profiling process responds to different amps. Of course, YMMV.

I'm not sure if this is (exactly) what others are talking about but since I installed the most recent version of RM

1 - I load a New Performance and pull up a list of profiles in RM

2 - I double click on a rig I want to load into Slot 1

3 - I switch to Slot 2 and double click the next rig in RM

4 - I look at the KPA and notice that the second rig I chose is loaded into Slot 1, effectively replacing the rig I selected for that slot.

At first, I thought maybe I imagined switching slots but really hadn't. After carefully repeating this process several times, I realized that RM is indeed loading rigs into the previous slot. One time, I saved the performance after loading in the first rig and it seemed to behave after that. Probably because the Kemper and RM were finally "in sync". Yesterday, I tried it again and no matter what I did or how many times I saved, RM just kept loading rigs into the wrong slot. It sounds similar to what others have said on here but I thought I would mention it in case it gives the software team some more helpful data.

For the record, I don't remember having this problem before updating.

Hi, absrec.

Try this.

1. Turn everything off,
    2. Disconnect the USB cable so there's no connection to the Profiler
    3. Turn on the Profiler and wait until it's fully functional
    4. Turn on the computer and wait until it's fully functional
    5. Connect the USB cable from the Profiler directly to the computer
    6. On the computer, check Device Manager
      1. Sound, video and game controllers
      2. Kemper Profiler
      3. If the Kemper Profiler is there, check the properties to see there are errors
      4. If the Kemper Profiler is NOT there, at the top of the Device Manager Tree you should see the name of your computer
        1. Right click the name of the computer and click Rescan for hardware changes
      5. If there's no change, and you see a device "Unknown USB Device "
        1. Right click
        2. Update driver
        3. Browse my computer for drivers C:\Program Files\Kemper Amps\Driver
        4. Take a screenshot of any errors or messages

It was a driver issue but I ended up having to use a different overall path to fix it. When I followed the above steps, it didn't find anything by rescanning. I had to go into "Devices & Printers" and I found an icon that looked like a modem, or maybe an external drive, that said "Kemper Profiler". I went into the properties and the option to update the driver was greyed out. After fumbling around a bit, I clicked on Device Settings and it gave me (essentially) the same screen except now the option to Update Driver was available. I then was able to carry out the steps in #5. It now connects to the Kemper and everything seems to work again.

Thanks for your time and help.

-Aaron

Hi Managed to fix it Thank God lost without my Kemper, I'm used to battling computers, Looks like Windows defender is diving on the new Rig manager install so the old one stays and won't communicate with the updated installed Operating system.

I manually uninstalled Rig Manager, manually downloaded Rig Manager, and force installed it, initially Windows defender blocked it so I used the program compatibility option, It installed perfectly and working as before update.

|Hope this works for you

I did uninstall and subsequently reinstall RM before posting here. I'll have to check on that as well as the device manager stuff mentioned earlier. I'll report back once I do. I'm guessing one/both of those things will fix it.

This just started happening since I updated to the lastest OS 8.0.3. I have the latest version of Rig Manager as well. It's running on Windows 10. Haven't had a problem until now. Sorry if this was covered elsewhere. I didn't see anything about this specifically.

Anyone else have this happen?

I noticed this as well. When I first got the Kemper a couple years ago, this wasn’t the case. I have noticed that going down to -6db on the input is about right. However, it does make all rigs 6db cleaner and I’m too lazy to adjust every rig accordingly. Especially when I’ve yet to hear any significant difference. My thinking is that if I am profiling and I take the cable out of the Kemper and plug it into the amp I’m currently working with, it should sound the same. That wouldn’t be so with the input trimmed back. Most people seem to just keep it all at zero and I know that, though I use humbuckers, there are plenty of players using way hotter pickups than me. Point being.... it’s just an indicator light and as someone else pointed out, the calibration on it is such that it’s more of a warning/caution light and is pretty forgiving. My ears would agree.

Oh yeah. It’s not subtle. You would think that it would be just as simple as putting a cab IR on it but it’s not the case. My feeling is that it has something to do with cabdriver taking it from one profile and figuring out how it fits into another. How it sounds prior to merging is most likely not the most accurate representation of that cabinet. At least that’s what I want to believe.

FWIW, there’s no harm in merging a cabinet. You can always un-merge it later since the amp and cabinet are seen as two distinct entities. In other words, you aren’t committing to anything by hitting the merge button.

To make sure the keyboard itself wasn't at fault, I just switched it out for a Logitech usb keyboard which for the time being seems to work. Maybe the one I had was not compliant to whatever standard the KPA requires? Don't know. FWIW, I'm typing this on the cheaper keyboard which is now connected to my computer's dock so it's probably not a bad cable or connector.

I’ve been using the USB keyboard to enter metadata for a couple years now. I went so far as to add a pull-out keyboard tray to my rack for easy access. I’ve updated a couple times recently and I’m not sure when it changed. It used to be that it worked 90% of the time. On occasion, if I was using the USB port for an update and then plugged the keyboard back in, it wouldn’t work until I restarted the KPA but it did work most of the time.

Now it seems like it DOESN’T work 90% of the time. Sometimes I can get it to work by unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in. But that doesn’t always work.

When saving a rig with a unique name after making a change or creating a new rig, RM will often change it back to the original name again. At which point, I can see two rigs with the same name. They are different rigs but have the exact same name. Sometimes, it happens only on the profiler and other times it happens only on RM. Occasionally it happens on both. I try to change the name again but it just reverts back to the original.

Also, Today in performance mode, I had an entire performance (#31) get erased and re-saved with a copy of the rigs in #32. However, it kept the name I assigned to perf #31, but not the rigs loaded into slots 1-5.

The only way to get control back is to quit RM and reload it. Then it re-syncs to the KPA. Eventually, if I do any editing, it will fall out of sync and once again require a restart.

I am using Windows10, latest version of RM & Kemper Power Rack.

This happen to anyone else?

I noticed something strange between the latest Beta OS version (v7.1.12) and the latest Beta editor (v3.0.89 I think?). Editor is the Windows version.

I have the stomps A-D and the effects all locked. When I send a rig from rig manager to a performance (CTRL-ENTER), it now replaces my stomps & effects with the ones included in that particular rig. Since I have them locked, I have to unlock everything, reload the Stomps & Effects from presets or one of the many saved rigs that include them and then re-lock them. I know it doesn't sound like a huge hassle, but the original 3.0 Beta version didn't do that. Just thought I'd bring it to your attention.

I'm really enjoying working with the editor. I think it's gonna be great once all the kinks get worked out.

-Aaron

Would it be difficult to add makeup gain to the EQ section? Maybe +/-5 dB. When boosting frequency bands, I feel It would be helpful to be able to audition the EQ without hearing a significant change in volume. That’s the way most hardware & DAW EQs work.

If you boost the volume of the amplifier section, you can even out the level from rig to rig but that doesn’t do anything for making A/B comparisons while EQing . Same for the rig volume.

This would require adding an extra page but hopefully it wouldn’t be hard to do.

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this.

Another possibility would be that the remote is sending a logic signal that triggers a relay in the Kemper. That seems illogical to me since everything else is MIDI controlled. I know that the assign buttons send one SysEx string when the button is pressed and when you let go it sends another one. So there is MIDI involved. Conversely, they give MIDI addresses for various other things in their documentation. I guess they have their reasons. I don’t envy any company that develops a product this groundbreaking. ?

Just to help out for clarity, hjscheffler is saying that the Remotes I-IIII switches are physical switches, that can't be switched externally by midi. You can mimic the behaviour by programming multiple Stomp/FX toggles at once using midi, however.

I must be explaining it wrong. Let me try a different way.

When someone using the Kemper Remote presses the [I] pedal, a command is sent through the CAT5 cable to the Kemper. At which time.... whatever FX have been programmed/assigned by the user are then toggled on or off depending on their current state.

The command being sent through the CAT5 is what I’m looking for. Probably a SysEx string. Using the MIDI learn function on my BandHelper App, I can see strings being sent by the Kemper indicating when the buttons are pressed and let go. Assign #1 seems to be sending -

MSB LSB Assign

22 00 I

22 01 II

22 02 III

22 03 IIII

However, this is in the context of an extended parameter change (06). Probably just letting the Kemper Remote know what is going on. I imagine it just needs a single parameter change if all I want to do is turn it on or off. I’m simply looking for the string that will tell the Kemper to execute whatever FX combinations, etc. are stored in whichever Assign I toggle. I have a hard time believing that everything in this unit is MIDI controllable except for this one particular function.