Posts by Esposito772

I have beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro and I am quite happy with them. Very balanced & neutral sound. Offering of the open back headphones is quite limited though.

Thank you for the suggestion! I am surprise though as I've been reading that those very headphones are supposed to not suit guitar sound well (bad mids apparently) and are apparently too sharp

Has Somebody else had success with the beyerdynamic DT990 ?

I've read that even with the great KPA headphone input, the Sennheiser alone without headphone amp won't be given justice, also there's no way my scarlett 2i2 will be enough for either the HD600 or 660 therefore I won't go with sennheiser I think

any other suggestion for a nice pair of open back for kemper + music production?

I did a fair amount of research before finally settling on the Sennheiser HD600. They are very good near-FRFR headphones which have been popular for 20 years with music professionals among others. Absolutely no need for a headphone amp when paired with the Kemper.

oh ok! however I'd also need the Headphones for mixing + producing while its plugged in my scarlett 2i2, it won't work for me therefore I think

Hi everyone!

I'm using my Kemper almost exclusively through headphones at the moment. I can't use monitors. My current headphones are actually not at all made for that (Sony whxm3) but I still get a pretty good guitar sound. It is time to upgrade though. I would like something that renders a nice Kemper guitar sound, as well as something neutral enough for music producing/mixing. Also, I'd like it to be open-back, as I'm subject to ear fatigue and tinnitus. I read plenty of good things about the Sennheiser HD600, which apparently goes very well with the Kemper, and might fit my music production/mixing purposes. However, I've read that the Sennheiser HD600 need/deserve a headphone amp, which is something I absolutely don't want to buy. The Beyerdynamics apparently don't have enough mids for a nice guitar sound and are too bright agressive.

I need some other open back headphone that will be nice for Kemper + music production/mixing. I'd be grateful if I could get some suggestions!! I really don't know what to buy at this point haha.

Have a nice day and looking forward to reading your posts.

I’m surprised that Inst sounds better than Line. The KPA is definitely putting out a Line level signal so using Inst level input (think the sort of signal level that comes straight from a guitar) would typically need you to reduce the output level of the KPA and/or the i put gain on the Scarlet significantly to stop clipping.

TS cables are fine

Output settings. Would usually ensure -12db is ticked to pad down the level a bit. Which signal you use depends on what sort of sounds you are recording. Unless you are recording stereo FX such as chorus, delay etc then I would use Master Mono or even Stack and just use a single input on your Logic track. You will still create a stereo mix by panning within the overall mix but you only need a mono source to do this.

Headphone - the KPA does seem to have a good headphone amp but a large part of the reasonit sounds so much better than the interface is probably because the KPA headphone out always has the Space effect added. You can add the Space effect to the main outs or add it as an FX in one of the post stack blocks in a rig. I would try this purely to confirm or deny that this is the source of the difference in sound between KPA and Scarlet headphone outs. However, eve if it is you probably don’t want to send this effect to DAW when recording. The Space effect is basically a very short stereo reverb so one workaround might be to a a very short reverb to the guitar channel in Logic for monitoring then defeat this when mixing. Alternatively, you could apply this effect to the main master bus in Logic but don’t forget to disable it when not playing on headphones.

I do, when using the INST mode, reduce the input gains of the scarlett, not because it gets to loud but because the gain knobs create a not so great sounding distorsion that I'd rather get from the kemper. I'll definitely try the LINE mode again though, and will also implement the output settings you have advised. Regarding the stereo vs mono recording, I am recording my favorite kemper preset which has delay, reverbs, eq and a couple of other effects so do I still want to go back to mono? Also if I go back to mono, do I only need to connect one cable from kemper main output to scarlett input? (two are connected now)

Thank you very much for your response though! Very helpful already

Hello everyone!

Still a Kemper newbie here but eager to learn and get the best out of it. These days I am going about recording guitar (Kemper) in Logic with my Scarlett 2i2 and want to make sure i'm doing it the very best way with the gear I have.

That's how I do It:

- Main output Left into front input of the scarlett with 6.3 instrument cable

- Main output right into second front input of the scarlett with 6.3 instrument cable

- Output settings: Main Output set to "Master Stereo" , other outputs set to off

- scarlett into computer with usb cable

- Both input set to INST in the scarlett (as opposed to LINE)
    - Create audio track in logic using 1+2 input

- record and play

For now it sounds pretty good but I could probably optimize it.Also, I hear a slight buzz when I play clean, only heard when using neck pickup strangely enough.

I've also got some doubts regarding following points:

- I've read in the forum that the inputs of the interface should be set to LINE, however, I found that when they're set to INST, it sounds significantly better

- Should I be using other cables, output, output settings for a better sound quality?

- The kemper headphone output always sounds significantly better than the scarlett headphone output, how could I get the interface's output to sound closer to the kempers? (if at all possible)

Thank you so much in advance for reading this and posting a very much needed response. ^^^^

Hey all!

I'm coming to you with a weird problem. It's been a year since I've been using my rc-30 looper pedal with the Kemper without any problem. Tonight though, it just won't work anymore for some reason.

I plugged it in like that : Guitar -> Kemper front Input then Kemper direct output / send --> RC/30 input (Mono) then RC30 output (Mono) --> Kemper Return input

I've tried to "init globals" the settings, without success

I've tried some other manipulations like ticking aux > mono and raising the volume of aux In > headphones, it allows me to loop but the sound I get its extremely neutral and doesn't sound at all like the kemper presets I have going on

If someone could help me that would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much in advance!!

Hey guys, I'm still looking for a perfect Hendrix tone to play with and I think I've found it here

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Anybody knows how to get close to this guy's tone? I love it so much.

Thanks in advance and good day to y'all

Hey guys!

Very happy relatively new user of the Kemper here. However I feel like I'm only using it at half its potential. There's two tones i'm failing to achieve at the moment. I'm looking for a really good funky, Nile Rodgers style tone like in this video

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I tried quite a few profiles supposed to be good for funk but somehow I still don't sound half as funky as I'd like too. I'm using a start and have tried all pickup positions.

Also, I'm trying to come close to this sweet Mark Knopfler sound like here

or the whole communiqué album really. It's a relatively classic strat sound but fatter, without being overdriven.

I'm playing through my headphones. Do you guys know some good profiles for what I'm looking for, or if I'm doing something wrong ? I haven't tried to tweak any of the presence/master/EQ knobs, nor to add some Kemper effects.

Thank you for you time and looking forward to an answer.

Hey everyone!:)

I was wondering if was possible with the Kemper to add some kind of wah/envelope filter effect without buying the actual pedal. I found the list of all the effects including some wahs but selecting them doesn't seem to alter my tone in any way. Do you guys know more about this ?

Hey everybody!

I was wondering if It was possible to connect a smartphone to the kemper then play a song/backing track on YouTube or whatever and then play along with my guitar through my headphones. If it is possible, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me how to plug the phone accordingly and which are the corresponding input/output settings. Thank you very much in advance and good day to y'all.

Ok everything works well thanks a lot guys ! Is there anything I need to know about the output settings that would be more optimal for using speakers ? Because until today I've been playing through my headphones so I might want to change some settings.

Also, do you know if I can leave the speakers (as well as the Kemper) plugged to the wall when I'm not using them? (I still turn them off of course)

Hello everyone! :)

I'm just about to hook up my Kemper PowerHead to a pair of KrK Rokit 5 active monitors. I've been told that if I mess up the wiring, I can blow up the speakers and the profiler, which I obviously want to avoid. Therefore I just wanted to double check with you guys if what I'm about to do is correct: I have to xlr cables, each of them go in the XLR slot of the speakers and in the left and right main output of the Kemper, right ?

If I remember correctly the only thing that can really damage the gear would be using the speakers output. If there's something else I should know, like in which order I should power on the Kemper and the speakers, please do tell.Thank you for reading me and looking forward to your answers.

Regards,Franck

Hey everyone !

I'm going to buy the Fender Super Champ 112 and hook it up to my PowerHead. The cab has a maximum capacity of 80 watts so I was wondering if it's still a good choice (I'm a bedroom player for now so i'll keep it low) and if so, how to correctly connect both without damaging anything.

Thanks in advance guys

Kind regards,

Franck Esposito

Thanks to all of you for your responses !

I unfortunately can't try out different cabs or FRFR with the Kemper given I don't have a car and can't just walk around all the way to guitar centers carrying my heavy toaster. Therefore I'm going to have to order it online. I need to place the "safest bet" so preferably not something too expensive. I can' really afford something beyond 400 bucks.

For me the difference between FRFR and normal guitar cabinet is still quite blurry. I understand it's a matter of taste so maybe you can point me to the right choice according to my sound preferences. I play 60% low gain stuff (Johnmayerish blues, funky and jazzy stuff) the other 30% being as high a gain as SRV or Gilmour would do and then 10% of high gain like AC/DC or even Metallica kind of sounds. If I was thinking of buying a normal amp I would go straight to fender but is it the same for fender cabs, with a kemper powerhead ? If so I'm considering the fender super champ given all its positive reviews and my budget.

One of my other main concerns still is noise disturbance, as i live in a rather small apartment with two flatmates and neighbors nearby. I understood that the kemper has a capacity of 600W, so I don't want to accidentally crank everything up and ruin my hearing, or the Kemper's mechanics, while waking up the whole neighborhood. What cab size and watt capacity do you think I should consider? I was thinking of a 1x12 so it does not completely exclude playing live someday in the future but all the 1x12s il like are 80 watts. Isn't it way too much ?
    As Ashtweth mentioned, I'd like to hear the kemper profiles come alive even at bedroom volume.

PS: I may have said a lot of self-evident or nonsense stuff but you have to know I'm still quite the newby in the sound department. Thank you for your patience

Hello everyone !

So the title says it all. I'd like to have your opinion on what would be the best 1x12 or smaller guitar cabinet to hook up with the kemper powerhead.
    I'm very much into clean and low-gain tones like John Mayer, Tom Misch but enjoy sometimes more gains tones like Gilmour or SRV.
    I'm leaning towards Fenders and Two-Rocks given I enjoy their amps, but have no idea of how well they would work with the kemper being the head. My budget is roughly 500 bucks.

Looking forward to see your answers !

Thanks in advance

Kind regards,

Jean

Thanks you very much to the both of you for such quick answers ! I'll definitely buy a cab then. I'm leaning towards fenders or Two-Rock. Any preference for you ? Again I'm into low-gain/clean sounds like Mayer, Tom Misch but enjoy the occasional SRV blues overdrive.