Posts by christianbad

it's getting a bit annoying having to continually do that

The great Albert Einstein is reported to have said: insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results.”

Asuming that you are using Rig Manager, make sure you know what is selected and you are saving :

So a PROFILER needs to be connected, in Performance Mode, and the destination Performance needs to show at the PROFILER display as well as be marked with a headphones icon in the Rig Manager Performance list. This limitation makes sure, that you can hear what you assemble and the Rig you paste is always in focus of the Editor. Consequntly storing the edited Performance is consistently performed via the Store buttons at the bottom of the Editor.

Selecting the Performance (single click) is not sufficient. You need to load it (double click). "Loaded" is where the headphones icon sits.

Selection is sufficient to move items or edit tags. Changes become immediately permanent as soon as Enter is pressed. Even multiple items can be selected.

Loading allows only one item at a time. This is what the Editor is referring to. If you edit e.g. increase Gain the corresponding line in the list changes color from green to red. The same applies if you paste a Rig into a Slot of a loaded Performance. Here explicit storing is required to make modifications stick - like in the hardware. This mode of operation refects loading, editing, and storing of the hardware.

Both, selection and loading can coesist. You can select Performance 3,4,and 5 and copy and paste these into the Local Libary or change their names in one go, while Performance 17 is loaded. Keep that in mind. There is a value in having both modes. However, in this scenario you can only copy & paste or drag & drop Rigs into the Slots of Performance 17.

Perhaps it helps to compare Rig Manager selection via single click to typical file manager operations on a PC: moving single or multiple objects, copy & paste, changing file names or file attributes. Dropping, pasting or pressing Enter makes such changes immediately permanent.

But in order to change the content of a Word-file you need to load it in Word. Normally, an explicit store is required at the end to make edits stick. Without storing edits get withdrawn. This is how the PROFILER hardware works. You load one object at a time, edit and then store or leave without storing. And the Editor with its Store buttons at the bottom reflects this approach loading single objects via double click.

My advice, stick with factory content, you will find more amps than you´ll ever need. Some factory content is made from Tonejunkie, MBritt, etc.

I bought a lot of commercial profiles, and i don´t regret it, but after some years of Kemper usage i would say that you can get pretty much every tone

you need with the factory stuff alone, knowing how to tweak them to fit your guitar and your taste. But that is the same with the commercial profiles.

The biggest discovery for myself was the impact of the cabinet (and how it is miked) on the amp sound.

Put two quad delays in the delay and reverb slots, than go to rig settings and turn "del+rev routing" all the way to the left, which will make them parallel.

i tried the UD Holdsworth settings in this post not long ago (Wheresthedug was so nice to calculate the ms to % for us 🤘) :

Parallel fx, more slots.

I think you can get better results when you replace the first 4 delay times (which are very very short and aim to give you some kind of early reflections but in a "out of phase way" ) with a short ambience or the Space setting. And maybe one of the wideners like Phase Widener.

Larry,

the problem isn ´t dragging or rushing, the sound is ok, too.

but the rhythm of guitar AND bass is so far away from the beat, that sometimes it doesnt make sense anymore.

just listened to the intro, which is at least confusing, but than the first riff part is a total mess. to a point that i can´t listen to it.

sorry, but that´s true.

some ideas:

maybe you shouldn´t nudge the audio, maybe something goes wrong here?

maybe your tracking goes wrong because of delay compensation issues?

maybe your timing goes wrong in the mixing because of delay compensation issues?

turn off all the plugins to find out.

from my understanding:

when you leave the attack and squash alone, you get Dynacomp like compression with the intensity, from 0 to middle position it´s slamming the transients, from middle position upwards you get also upward expansion (soft parts get louder).

the attack is just how fast the effekt kicks in and how much of the transient gets through. however, consider the mix knob on the next page, and from the manual, in CK words:

" Another typical application is to emphasize the attack of the picked strings with the Attack parameter. In the PROFILER, you should use the Pick parameter in the amplifier module to achieve this effect."

the Squash in middle position does nothing. to the left it leaves a bit of the signal after transient before the compression starts, more to the right it´s more the way the strings decay, all to the right you can hear it bring up the volume of the decaying string.

you're basically stuck with your profile's sound "as is" with only a minimum of good tweaking options by changing gain an basic eq controls on the front of the kemper for the tiniest bit.

a minimum of good tweaking option?

maybe you missed to try out definition, compression, pick, clarity, etc in the amp section?

or the cab section with high and low shift, pure cabinet, imprints...

I think most "errors" like "i can not paste" or "the performance didn´t store" are already very well explained by Burkhard

in this thread (#7,#11 and #13):

Rig Manager

This explanation should be found in the RM manual, as this would have helped me a lot in learning to operating RM in a less confusing and sometimes frustrating way.

Still prefer editing on the Profiler Head, no surprises there.

slightly off topic but how do you search on less than 4 characters, like ‘Dr Z’?

if i search for Dr Z in rig exchange, i get a lot of results. helps to sort by "amp name".

your other question is so basic, that i don´t know how to respond, but yes, you can create rigs in in the Profiler and in Rig Manager.

What´s your problem?

But the manual’s aren’t very clear on what to press/turn to do things.

i think it is very well written and clear.

but you have so many possibilities, that it can be overwhelming.

my suggestion is: just read the first chapter, Rigs and Signal Chain for a basic understanding. than just read the the headlines, to get an idea of all the things the kemper is capable , but don´t read every single paramenter definition.

once you will need something, you will remember that you´ve seen it in the manual and you can dig in deeper.

searching the pdf is your friend.