Posts by AZRipp

Yes, there are 6 EQ points on each side of the cross-over. That is in addition to the the high pass and low pass. Additionally, you can apply a volume level of your choosing to both sides of the cross-over in addition to an overall volume. You can also apply limiting and a few other features. And yes, the EQ settings are per each preset bank that you can set however you like. I'm insanely happy now that I've got the cab nicely balanced. It'll be weird the first time playing out without my 1/2 stack behind me.

Like the OP, I am also new to the Kemper world. The big thing that enlightened me after purchasing my Power Rack, was how much better it sound direct out to the PA versus any type of guitar cab. This bugged the heck out of me so I pursued designing and building my own FRFR. I’ve finally settle on a guitar cab like solution that utilizes Eminence speakers and a DSP that allowed me to create a very flat response. Definitely took some time, to include trial and error, but in the end I have an FRFR setup that accurately leverages the multitude of profiles available to us. The cabinet design and speakers chosen definitely impact the accuracy of a profile’s aural reproduction. I posted to the Celestion F12-X200 thread with my experience and what it took to get an FRFR. Not simple, but IMO worth every bit of effort now that I have it in play.

Celestion F12-X200 (FRFR Driver) Released

Not trying to be a naysayer as I love my Celestions, but since my embarkation upon the Kemper experience (Power Rack), my biggest challenge has been the FRFR cab thing. I didn't want to buy a PA style wedge or cabinet, so I built a 2x12 cab based on Thiele Small specs for the speakers I was considering. I did that and utilized Eminence Beta-12CX woofs, ASD1001 1" HF Titanium horns, and Eminence PXB2:2K5CX 2-Way crossovers. The results were horrible. Tunnel, brittle, fizzy and definitely not representative of a profiled cab. I figured it was my build, so I had a different 2x12 built where I once again used my Eminence solution. Honestly, not much better, if at all. I experimented with batting types and amounts until things sounded better, but it was still off. It was my miniDSP, REW, and pink noise that opened my eyes. After analyzing the cab with the full range RTA, I found it was painfully nothing close to FRFR. With a passive crossover, I was pretty much stuck again. I decided to buy a Dayton Audio PPA800DSP 2-Way plate amp like what is also used in the Xitone cab. It has a DSP that allows for 6 adjustable EQ points (with Q) on each side of the High/Low (variable) crossover along with other features. Slowly tweaking while monitoring with the miniDSP and REW has rewarded me with a cab that is freakishly flat and amazingly representative of the profiled amp/cab.

Take away: Following my experience, I don't see how a single driver, such as the Celestion F12-X200, simply dropped into any cab will produce true FRFR results. The cab design/specs will definitely impact how the driver performs. Additionally, a hard set passive crossover, such as the F12-X200 utilizes, further limits the ability to tailor nuances native to the cabinet used. Just something to ponder for those thinking this Celestion solution will be the golden ticket in an FRFR quest.

Attached is a screen shot of my cab after eq balancing. Disregard the 12 Jan 18 date, it should be 12 Jan 19.