Posts by vernon48

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but google throws this out first and I've found the answers on here resourceful at this time, so thank you all! Here's my 2 pence for the next reader...

I've been looking for an upgrade to my AKG 92 set (why? because they're cheap and I thought it was an injustice to the Kemper using cheap headphones). I play a lot of Van Halen, using Top Jimi VH profiles (unmodified, straight out of the hypothetical box).

So I ordered:

• BeyerDynamic DT770 80ohm - Both the BeyerDynamic headphones were unbelievably comfortable and are excellently built, but like Chefke desribes, distorted tones sound harsh (think Proco Rat) and almost a little 'buzzy'.
    • BeyerDynamic DT770 250ohm - Sounded like they had more clarity than the 80ohm set, and a little less muddy. I preferred the 250ohm out of the two BD's.
    • AKG K702 - I hated these, open back headphones definitely aren't for me when it comes to playing guitar - I found that hearing the pick against the string and the acoustic sound of the electric takes away from the experience
    • Sony MDR-7506 - Clinical. Not as comfortable as the above, sound very harsh with distorted profiles. Quality of parts seem sub par to the above. Excellent for mixing, not so great for enjoyment of playing guitar through the KPA.

In comparison to all of the above, the AKG 92's sound bloody brilliant and are much more enjoyable to play/listen through - its a shame they don't have ear pads similar to the luxurious BD DT770's. But hey, I'm back to using the 92's - which I was never unhappy with in the first place, my narrow mind just assumed if I payed more for headphones, I would get more enjoyable sounds - not so! They do a fantastic job of representing the mids and sag in the brownsound so wonderfully captured by Top Jimi, something which I lost when I used the other headphones mentioned. I've never had so much fun dragging my pick through chords and digging my palm in to mute - so if you're a high gain lover, try the AKG 92's and thank me later :)