Posts by Steve Try

Hi all,

I own a modified FCB1010 with a single cable MIDI in/out + phantom power mod that I did a long while back. A peculiar fault has occurred now which means that the pedal still powers up with the mains cable via the transformer but not with the phantom power DC supply. I bought a new 12v/2A max wall wart thinking that the issue was with the supply unit because the voltage is getting pulled down at the DC supply side when the unit is powered on, but this hasn't fixed the problem.

When I power the unit on with AC mains supply, the input to the main board is seeing the full 10V required to power up, but when I use the DC supply (via the same pair of rectifier bridges) I'm only seeing 4V at the input. Any electronics experts have an idea what could be causing this?

Cheers.

This is probably going to be shot down now that the editor is here, but are there any plans to have more control of the Profiler via a USB keyboard? The basic options are useful especially for naming profiles etc but it would be great if "full" control (in lieu of using the potentiometers and buttons on the amp) could be offered via the keyboard. This would allow for wireless control of the amp (via wireless keyboard). Would this be something anyone else might be interested in?

I've just noticed that I cannot copy all of my rigs to the Kemper from RM 3 when they are divided into different folders within the software. Each individual folder must be copied one by one rather than all the subdirectories of a folder copying at once. That is provided RM doesn't crash while trying.

I've also noticed that nothing copies to a USB stick from RM 3. The software says that the files have copied but they definitely aren't on there and following a removal and replacement of the USB stick they aren't listed in RM either.

These seem like huge issues which I would have thought would be picked up prior to public beta testing. Am I missing something here? Does the USB stick need to be formatted differently with the latest OS?

hi timo, thx for the hint.

i just re-installed win 10 pro 32 bit including all available updates. installation went quite smoothly. i then executed the suggested tool. it didn't detect any issues. however the installation of rig manager 3.0.79 win 32 bit still crashes with exact the same error.

could this problem be related to the 32 bit installation routine? Did anybody confirm having successfully installed rm3 on win 10 32 bit?

Same problem. Reported to Kemper HQ a few days ago but I haven't yet had a resolution through. Relieved I'm not the only one seeing this as I thought my notebook might have an unsupported processor or something obscure. I reinstalled Windows 10 (32 bit) also and it didn't make any difference to RM3 being unable to install.

If the pedal range of the Morph Pedal could be reversed, how would this work with "MorphPedal to Pitch" and "MorphPedal to Wah"? Should these also work in reverse mode?

And if you could set this by Rig, what are the implications for "MorphPedal to Wah" and "MorphPedal to Pitch" then? How do you manage to remember, in which case Morphing works upwards and downwards? Is it meaningful to share such a preference with other users via Rig Exchange, which might not even use a Morph Pedal?

I think, this would be adding significant complexity and cause for confusion. Why can't you get used to the Base Sound being always the starting point at heel?

Point taken. I can get used to it. It was only a suggestion.

I'm an FCB1010 U4K user and when I swich profiles my morph expression pedal is usually in the closed position (MIDI val 127). As this is the value corresponding to the morphed state of the rig, the pedal must be rocked open (MIDI val 0) before it can be closed again to switch to the morphed state for the rig.

It would be really useful if the expression pedal values could be reversed within the Profiler so that the closed pedal state represents the base sound and the open pedal represents the morphed/alternate sound. If this isn't practical, an alternative would be the ability to store information within a rig stating if the rig should be in morphed or base state when switching to it from another rig. This would allow for swapping base and morphed states within a rig to achieve the same result.

Thanks for the suggestion. Not really looking to buy more gear if I can avoid it. I did think about swapping the morph and base states but the problem with this is that if I change to another patch during a performance and then switch back to this rig, it will default to the base state only and not the morphed state which I would be using more frequently.

I'm an FCB1010 U4K user and when I swich profiles my morph expression pedal is usually in the closed position (MIDI val 127). As this is the value corresponding to the morphed state of the rig, the pedal must be rocked open (MIDI val 0) before it can be closed again to switch to the morphed state for the rig.

Is there any way that the morph expression pedal values can be reversed within the Profiler so that the closed pedal state represents the base sound and the open pedal represents the morphed sound? If not, this might be a useful feature request. The reason I ask is that I usually back off the gain in the morphed state and use the "genuine" amp sound for the higher gain base state of the preset. It would make more sense (to me at least) to have the lower gain sound on the open pedal position and then to close the pedal to the more gainy sound.

Thanks for the reply but I think you misunderstood my question. I'm not using an amp pack, I'm profiling my own amp and cabinet.

Once I've created a merged cabinet with a matching DI & Studio profile, can it then be used with any other DI profile (with different EQ, gain etc) of the same amp to give an 'authentic' result (in the form of further merged profiles) and indeed can it be used with other DI profiles of different amps for 'authentic' sounds?

If I understand correctly, when I add a cabinet to a DI profile, that profile becomes a Merged profile as the only difference between the two is the presence of the cabinet in the rig. That being the case, when profiling an amp and cabinet, I would have thought that the studio profile need only be taken once with an optimal mic position (more for different micing options obviously). Once a merged profile has been created from that Studio profile and its corresponding DI profile, subsequent merged profiles can be created using the resulting cabinet and differing DI profiles of the same amp without having to take further studio profiles.

Does the above sound reasonable?

My thinking is that I can optimise my micing and the Kemper profiling EQ prior to taking the single Studio profile so that I get the best possible profile of the cabinet+ microphone and then flatten the Profiler EQ for taking the DI profiles so that I effectively 'fix' any frequencies that I don't like from my awful micing technique but maintain the EQ settings of the amp itself (within the DI profiles).

Any thoughts?

I would really love it if the FCB didn't need the damn power cable. I absolutely second that observation.

I don't mind using two midi cables, I just run two different colors to keep track.

Haven't had it act up on me yet, but its day may come :D

You don't need the power cable. I've modified the FCB1010 with a bridge rectifier so that it can be powered via AC or 12V DC supplied via a phantom power 7 way din cable (2 way MIDI). The mod required a new 7 pin socket adapter board for the FCB1010 which was about £30 I think and then I made a 2 x 5 pin + power adapter for the 7 pin din cable that I use. Not a difficult modification at all.

An active Wah effect suppresses volume control, if WahPedal to Volume is set. Co-existence would make no sense as the volume pedal function is normally present. WahPedal to Pitch, MorphPedal to Wah, and MorphPedal to Pitch are different as you can configure the Rig as needed. We see no reason limiting the possibility to control for example Wah and Morphing simultaneously.

This is what the Main Manual says:

Then, go to the "Pedal Links" Now, your Morph Pedal is the master for Morphing, wah and pedal pitch effects, and controls them all simultaneously. Most of the time, you might want to control just one of these effects. So, if you want to control just Morphing, make sure that no wah or pedal pitch effects are activated. To control just wah, switch off all pedal pitch effects and make sure there are no parameters set up for Morphing. If you want to use Pedal Pitch only, make sure that no wah effect is active, and that the current Rig includes no morphed parameters.

Thanks for the info Burkhard. I would argue though that since the Morph function cannot easily be switched off once parameters are set, the Pitch function of the pedal (with Morph to Pitch active) is not going to be much use as there is no way to control just the pitch with the expression pedal - if that is what is required. The same would apply to other Morph linked functions such as the Wah. A seperate rig would be required with no active Morph parameters. Am I right in thinking there isn't a MIDI command for turning the Morph parameters on and off?

I've had another play with the settings and come to the conclusion that there isn't a priority with these parameters (other than Wah to Vol).

Both effects are controlled simultaneously by the CC message corresponding to the first effect in the link. They can then be turned on or off by their respective stomp switch. Obviously this isn't possible with Morphing as it doesn't have a switch on the FCB1010 so it is permanently engaged. I've decided to put Wah,Vol and Pitch all on the LH pedal and Morph on the right which is probably a better configuration given that Morphing can be used for so many different effects. Unless anyone can advise me otherwise, I cannot see how to switch morphing on and off via the foot controller.

Volume only seems to change when all other linked effects are switched off, which makes sense as it would turn everything off if it was active all the time.

Thanks for the reply. You're correct, the morph does take priority but it doesn't seem to switch the pitch effect off (as the Wah to Vol setting does with it's respective functions) when the Morph function is active. I'm still curious as to why this setting behaves differently to it's Wah/Vol counterpart.

Hi all,

Fairly new user so I apologise if this has come up before but I couldn't see this point in any of the existing threads.

I've set up the Profiler with Wah to Volume enabled and the FCB1010 (U4K) LH pedal set to Wah. Works as expected, when the wah is engaged, the volume doesn't change and when the wah is switched off the pedal works as a volume control. Now I've tried to do the same with the Morph to Pitch setting for the RH expression pedal but it doesn't seem to work in the same way. Morphing is controlled by the pedal whether I have the pitch effect on or off so the expression pedal ends up controlling both or just the morphing but never the pitch shifter alone. Am I missing something here or is there a reason for this?