Posts by thegman

OGD! (Old Guitar Day) ^^

Co-worker just gave me this. Got it from a neighbor, didn't want it. It really needs some fretwork, those fret ends could ruin your day, and make you a Blood Donor. The wiring needs some work too.

Otherwise in really good shape! What's cool, Yamaha sent me the wiring diagram!

Old Guitar day!

I found a few photos of my Original Gibson SG I had in High School back in the 70's (Class of '75).

The story behind this is I needed a better guitar since I was using it in HS. Found this in a used shop. I think I paid $175 for it (I say I, but Mom and Dad paid for it). That was a chunk of money back then. About $1100 today!

Had it for years. The only complaints I had were the Trem was hard to keep the strings in tune, and no adjustable saddles for intonation. But it was a player for sure. I dropped it one time, and completely snapped to lower part with the electronics off. Music store sent it to a local luthier, and I swear, unless you looked inside the electronics cavity, you could not see the repair. I was amazed.

A few years later I got the urge for a new guitar. Always wanted a Les Paul but out of my range. I ended up getting an L6-S. I got $250 on trade for my SG. I think the L6-S was like $450-500. I paid for this one!

Worst decision ever! The L6-S and I never really connected. I ended up selling a few years later, and had NO guitar for a while.

I did recently get a new SG, but it has no Trem, and adjustable saddles.

I'd buy that old SG back in a heartbeat if I could. Can't imagine what it would be worth today! I put a lot of miles on it.

My current SG

I hate how the fretboards are so dry on most guitars. I still can't believe this SG only weighs 6lbs, 4oz. Feels way too light! My les Paul feels like a sack of bricks compared to this. Now I remember why I loved my old SG so much.

I also installed a Callaham locking tailpiece studs. Changes the break angle so the strings do not contact the back of the bridge. Same affect as toing a top wrap over the stopbar...without doing a top wrap ;)

There's got to be a good story to go with that.

Not really, I purchased it that way. Got it ready for finishing, but haven't had the time. Still depating the color, but it will have a special top coat that requires a lot of caution spraying!