Posts by dB Cooper

An acquaintance of mine was selling his Fractal AX8. I borrowed and auditioned it overnight at a friend's house, a studio owner, using his Helix floorboard and Kemper toaster to compare. It was super validating to me as a Kemper owner, and it reaffirmed in my mind how heads-and-tails ahead of the industry the Kemper DNA still is.

This is super anecdotal, and I don't wish to crap on other platforms. But I thought I'd share my experience for anyone else who's seeking greener grass. I had gotten a bug in my ear that Fractals were better for metal gains, so I wanted to see for myself. High gain is definitely the Fractal's strength, in my limited experience, but even so, almost each of the 160+ patches on the unit fell flat for me. We went from struggling to find patches we liked enough to modify on the Fractal to kind of digging a few on the Helix. Then I said, "let's fire up the Kemper for a final comparison." And holy smokes. The bawls. The depth. The dimension. The sense of listening to a miked amp from the control room. And that was just cruising through Cloud presets.

In conclusion, though I'll admit that high-gain Kemper patches still leave me wanting, I can say from my limited experience that they're still by far the best out of the three major platforms. And that's to say nothing of the verge-of-breakup gristle tones that the Kemper does so well, and by which so many other modelers fall flat.

I have both and would like to know how to profile my amps with the ox's cab simulations.... And my two notes torpedo cab emulations as well.

Can you explain the setup and process for this?

Hi Rick. It's super easy for the OX. All you'll need is an XLRM-TRS "Y" splitter cable. I combined one of these cables with one of these adapters, though I'm sure you can find a prewired cable on Amazon.

Run out of the two TRS "Line/Mon Out" outputs on your OX into the XLR "Return Input" on your Profiler (assuming you have the toaster or rack), then stage the gain using the "Line Out" control on your OX and the input volume soft control on the Profile mode of your Kemper. I usually start around 5 on the OX and around -25dB on the Profiler. Hope this helps.

keem85 Report back. I dig that tone, too. When I was a teen I used to play an older friend's amp rig whenever we'd play shows together. It was a 100W JCM 2000 into a Marshall slant 4x12 with a Pro Co Rat for drive. I'm not sure what Dave used on this record (I thought his AC30 days came later in his career), but it sounds a lot like that. Sort of phase-y and punchy and raw. It was one of the best rigs I've ever played.

ncbassplayer That's too bad to hear. Telling that they didn't post clips. I absolutely hated the Dr. Z official pack, and haven't been blown away by what I've heard of the Victory stuff.

I agree that getting manufacturers onboard with their own paid profiles is the most ethical way to deal with all the Kemper can do, and I support that. But come on, manufacturers — at least do it right.

I've been running my Kemper into a Mackie Thump12BST two-way powered PA speaker with an upgraded Eminence Legend EM12N 12" guitar driver for the past 6 months. It's just over 30 lbs (maybe even less with the neodymium speaker) and has all the output and headroom I can imagine needing for stage monitoring purposes — the kind of stages I play, anyway. It does pretty well for acoustic tones, too.

I've been impressed with the EM12N. It's so transparent that I prefer it with my Kemper cabs ON, though it's definitely got the punch of a traditional guitar speaker. Way better touch response than the Mackie's stock speaker. I'm hitting it with some generous EQ via the Kemper's monitor output section.

If you're going full-on FRFR, the Mission Engineering Gemini 2 is supposedly the Cadillac of FRFRs. I've played both the 8" and 12" HeadRushes, both the Line 6 PowerCab models, a ValveTrain PowerTrain Stage 50, and a Friedman ASC-12. None of these did a whole lot for me.

Can someone go ahead and profile the entire HeadRush Pedalboard and share? Thanks. ;)

Eleven always has made good stuff. I used an Eleven Rack into an IR pedal for a year before I migrated to the Kemper. I still regret not profiling some of those patches.