Posts by dB Cooper

Holy smokes! Those Katzbach JCM800 profiles slap. I might just have to buy in.

Update: I picked up the Katzbach JMP 2203 pack. It wasn't an instant hit for me. But for the price ($7.50 USD), it's a low cost of entry. I play a Tele and a Strat, so that probably has something to do with it.

Fluff just released a massive 85-minute liveplay!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So I wonder what the difference would be between Helix 2048 IR and 1024 IR.

Pete Thorn did a great video on this. 1,024 samples @ 44.1 kHz would give you a maximum length of 23ms. That's definitely enough to capture the tone of the cab, but not sufficient to capture frequencies below 43Hz or any room resonance. Do the longer IRs matter that much? Eh. I tell myself I can hear a difference. Whether or not the science bears that out is another story.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just for your information:

Unless impulse responces are not a couple hundred millseconds long, they are always (more complex) EQ curves.

We convert IRs into our own format. However, there are no specific calculations involved.

Thanks for weighing in, ckemper ! Always an honor.

Holy smokes! Those Katzbach JCM800 profiles slap. I might just have to buy in.

External Content www.youtube.com

dB Cooper Your experience with the high gain tones is disappointing, although the EVH demo already I heard was quite good.

The high-gain tones I've heard in recent demos have been quite good.

Does anyone have a list of all the IR lengths supported on each Modelling platform?

Helix supports mono IRs up to 46ms (2,048 samples). Iridium supports stereo IRs up to 500ms. Kemper does some crazy computational work to convert IRs into EQ curves.

I don't know exact specs, but given Neural's user base and their partnership with ML Sound Lab, I have to imagine their third-party support will be at least as good as Iridium's.

I work in the music industry. I got to take home a Quad Cortex in the fall before the units were fully baked. The software was super beta and there were no presets on the unit, but I'm convinced it's going to be the real deal if Neural can iron out the production kinks. Surprisingly, the high-gain tones didn't do much for me (again, total pre-release). But what floored me was the mid-gain AC30 model with Alnico Blues. It definitely delivered something I haven't found in thousands of Kemper profiles — sort of a midrange forwardness and response speed that I don't think I've heard in any other modeler.

Then there's the ability to use full-length IRs (which have come a long way in the last 9 years since they Kemper's debut), stereo rigs and cabs, the reduced form factor, and the freedom to work untethered from a computer. I'm waiting on the official launch, but I have little doubt it's going to be able to deliver on 90% of its promises.

My wife DID point out that she'll miss the look of my Kemper (she calls it my spaceship) if I trade up. Those of you who pre-ordered, I think your patience will be rewarded.

Hey ckemper ,

I really appreciate you sticking around to weigh in on all these comments. It's been an honor to hear you speak directly on these topics. It continues to blow my mind all the engineering know-how that goes into every KPA module.

If I may, though, it sounds to me like you're quick to defend the Kemper Drive and issues with the Profiler's headroom rather than heeding suggestions from your most die-hard committed fans. This thread is full of real-world R&D. There may be things that can be improved upon yet in OS8. Just my $0.02.

I would agree that the Kemper Drive needs bass added in most cases to feel right. See my demo video several pages back. 3-5dB @ 191Hz goes a long way for me. I've also personally never found an analog OD I liked the sound of going into the Kemper's input — and I've tried endless varieties. Maybe a video directly covering Clean Sens and pedal integration could help.

Thanks for all the continued support after all these years! Team Kemper for life.

I'm pumped about the Kemper Drive so far. I tried on it a few low- and high-gain Rigs tonight. It sounds great and seems super versatile. I can tell I'm going to get some miles out of it. Thanks, Kemper team!

Only thing I'd change is that it seems to suck out some lows at most settings. Not a problem when you can add an EQ before the amp, but perhaps it needs to have its own bass knob.

Short KOT demo here:

https://drive.google.com/file/…EwW8CYWx/view?usp=sharing

Demo is up - sounds excellent! Can’t wait to get my preorder -

Dang. That Strat tone @ 11:34 is gorgeous.

prolixuk , I made some bass profiles using an Acme Audio MTP-66, a fully stocked API lunchbox, and a Chandler Limited Zener Limiter — around $10k worth of signal chain. IMHO, the Kemper didn't really do it justice. I think it captured some of the structure and harmonic character of the gear, but it really didn't capture that "big iron" heft I hoped it would.

So something like an EQ would probably be doable. But when you're talking about a character pre or LA-2A, other gear might serve you better. A creator called Past to Future has really been impressing me with their console and tape machine IRs lately.