Posts by Eyetri2015

Great track Kevin, thanks for sharing! Well done, nice playing from all of you. Guitars sound great, great power. To my taste the drums are a bit thin, lacking the depth and power of the real drums. Actually I don't know the original track so I can not judge if that is just a style thing. For me a bit more cut through and body of the drums would fit better.

By the way: I have similar topics sometimes as I am guitar player and sound mixer in the band. Drummer often complains "too much guitar, not enough drums" 8o8)

Thanks for the advice! You know in the back of my mind, I thought I could have boosted the drums just a bit, or even just the snare. I'm find myself often obsessing over minute details when mixing, only to say enough it enough. Next project I'll pay more attention to where the drums are sitting.

Could this also potentially be attributed to youtube's compression on top of my own compression on the mix? I mean, sitting in my home studio I think it sounds incredible, now that we're listening on youtube, I have to agree with you.

Hey Everyone! I just finished my first recording project using the KPA w/ an acoustic electric. I was happy with the final product however I was told at GuitarCenter that acoustic guitars should always be mic'd and not plugged in directly like this for recording. Thoughts/opinions? What is everyone else doing to capture a quality acoustic guitar tone?

Thanks!
    Kevin

Hello everyone! This might be a silly question but I'm more looking for confirmation of what I think is correct.

My goal is to record DI/Wet tracks into DAW simultaneously with the wet track being complete w/ all pre/post fx, exactly as the commercial profile came and was demo'd in the promo videos. For this to happen, I must change the spdif output to "git/master", correct? I originally had it set to git/stack which sounded ok but then I realized this setting omits all of the pre/post fx that the profile comes with.

Thanks in advance!:thumbup:

Kevin

Awesome! Thanks for the tips.

Hey Everyone!

For those of you who quad track guitars to help create that thick/punchy metal sound, I was curious to know what is your approach?

Do you have a primary rig right/left with a secondary rig mixed in lower, or is rig 1 the main right channel and rig 2 the main left channel for example? I understand there's no black/white answer here but I was wondering what people have used to produce satisfactory outcomes in the past?

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

Kevin

Thanks everyone for your comments, experiences, and tips here! I agree that I'm underestimating drums/bass. I actually just picked up a nice bass guitar so I'm excited to see how this can improve my mixes. I'm also going to experiment more with quad tracking.

Also, I know this may be a completely subjective question, however what seems to be the consensus on highest quality/most user friendly VST drum software? Up until now, I've either manually programmed drums into the DAW with my Boss Dr. Rhythm pad, or imported MIDI directly from guitar pro. Both functional/rookie options indeed, I feel I'm just scratching the surface. I know I can massively improve my mixes with a better drum VST software.

Watching youtube or even browsing sweetwater/guitar center, my ears/eyes just glaze over and I feel overwhelmed with the amount of choices for VST drums. I was looking at getgood drums, but then it seems superior drummer may be more user friendly? :/Then there are metal expansion packs for each brand 8|. The last thing I want is a terabyte of drum samples only to use 5% of the sounds available...

Thanks again guys!

Hey Guys!

My primary interest as a proud KPA owner has been home recording, however next year I may have the opportunity to play live with a band.

For those of you who gig with the KPA, do you have any tips for dialing in your live sound? Is it just trial and error at the specific venue? Do you get it most of the way there at home through your studio monitors/guitar cab? Any major changes with output settings for playing live vs. at home?

Also, are in-ear monitors pretty much standard for performing live today?

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

Kevin

Hi Guys!

I wanted to get some opinions on how modern metal bands (eg. As I Lay Dying/Killswitch Engage) and producers are tracking guitars to achieve that fierce, thick, in-your-face, punchy guitar tone (while maintaining extreme clarity and avoiding a muddy/washed out sound)

I'm still new to recording with the KPA, but something tells me there is a lot more going on than simply double tracking with a high gain profile.

Is it a specific KPA amp setting eg. clarity/dry mix?

Is it quad tracking?

Pickups?

EQ/compressors/maximizers in the DAW?

Fancier audio interfaces? (although with SPDIF does this matter?)

Or is it all of the above and more? :/

Overall, I've been extremely happy with my hard rock/metal mixes w/ the KPA thus far, but am always looking to improve and optimize.

My basic setup = ESP LTD MH1001 (EMG pickups) -> KPA -> Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 (SPDIF) -> Cubase DAW

Thanks in advance!:thumbup:

That said, here are a few tips to make things go as smoothly as possible.

I also recommend two bars of click track, and you'd include that in the mp3. When they record their vocals, tell them to press record at the very beginning, i.e. where the drum clicks start. That way the vocal tracks can be dropped into your project at 0:00:00 and everything will line up perfectly.

Awesome, thanks so much for the tips.

I've always wondered about this... How exactly do I mixdown a project and include the metronome click track in the final mp3? This is what you're referring to correct? Send the vocalist an mp3 of my rough mix at the intended BPM but include two bars of click track (ie 8 clicks) before my actual audio starts, then my audio (mp3) would start playing without the click and the vocalist would do their thing over it.

Hey Guys! I know this isn't directly related to the KPA per se, but I know a lot of you will have some good insight/experience.

I'm looking to collaborate on future projects with other musicians, primarily vocalists, outside my city/state and I was curious to know how I go about importing their performances into my DAW (cubase). Is this as simple as everyone mixing down their performances into WAV files then I import everything into one DAW project and go from there? Or is there a different, more optimal/preferred way to import the raw audio into my DAW project? I heard somewhere that I could just "import everyone's project sessions" into one project however I wasnt sure what this means or if identical DAWs were required to do this.

My intention is to mix other people's vocal tracks into my mixes with my own guitar/bass/drum tracks.

Thanks again!:)