Posts by riggles

IOW, perfect for musicians who're not studio boffins and would therefore be more-inclined to crank the wet-dry mix beyond the point at which a typical engineer would settle. Instead of muddying-up or washing-out a mix at this point, it continues to shine and sound "musical".

Guilty! I have this plate reverb preset on the PCM that’s taken from the classic 480L. I love it so much and most definitely mix it too wet.

I was encouraged by the delay algos overhaul that I learned Kemper released. Obviously they’re not trying to recreate a whole Lexicon inside, but the direction of a larger algorithm that can be used to generate different delay effects is what I like to see. I trust the new reverbs will be a nice addition. The samples from ToneJunkie TV point heavily in that direction.

Could you talk a little bit more about how that experience has been? I am curious about the PCM80 (and other Lexicon for that matter) but I don't know how the UI works, not sure if it's so different and difficult I'll hate it. Also very curious about specific experiences you've had with your new device, like did some reverbs sound way better than the pedals, or were there any reverbs that werent very good but you don't use them anyway? etc etc. If you would be so kind? :)

Sure thing. It’s important to remember that my PCM80 is from 1995. Limited display size and resolution, and certainly before computer editors. So all effect parameters are adjusted with the UP and DOWN buttons, and SELECT and ADJUST knobs. So, not the pinnacle of UI/UX. Coming from todays modern interfaces, you need to be really motivated to deep dive into these algorithms from the front panel. If, for instance, you think menu diving in the Strymon units is a bit much, you won’t like these.

That being said, the PCM80/81 is far from limited in effects. It can flex. The M and PCM series Lexicon algorithms are legendary for a reason. The power in these algorithms is what seperates it from pedals like the Strymon’s, etc. Not just the complexity of them, but that they are openly exposed and configurable. For instance, take a given BigSky or Timeline mode. There’s an algorithm behind it, but only a handful of parameters are exposed for you to control, the rest are fixed behind the scenes. And the parameters can’t really talk to either other, like controlling multiple feedback paths with LFOs, etc. I don’t want to nerd-out too much here, but if you’re really curious, download the PCM80 manual and check out the Algorithms chapter. :huh:

The simplest way I can describe it is this: the PCM80 gives you the ingredients to make whatever meal you want from it. Pedals give you a ready-made meal. If all you want is that meal and you don’t much like cooking, trust me, go with the pedal. If you want to make your own meal the way you want it, or are looking to elevate your culinary skills, put your apron on.

Hope that made sense.

Hi everyone~

I'm on the edge of leaping into the digital amp domain, and have decided the Kemper is the best for me if I'm really going to do it. I've been using only tube amps for the last 20 years, so the idea of switching makes me nervous, naturally.

I'm currently running a stereo rack system with a Mesa, Brunetti, and Laney tube preamp, a couple Lexicon processors, brought together on an analog mixer into a Mesa 50/50 power amp, and two 1x12 cabs. It's a pretty killer setup for me, so I'm not complaining. But at this point, I play at home for my own enjoyment. There are a number of classic amp and preamp tones from the last 4 decades I'd like to achieve and it simply isn't feasible to purchase let alone store them and the different speaker cabs I'd need to really get "that" sound. My wife killing me is yet another consideration.

I'm someone who really tries to do their research, and I've gotten to the point of knowing my preferences pretty well, so I've narrowed down the profile makers I want to go with. I'm personally not interested in comparing 30 different free profiles of the same amp from the Rig Exchange to see which one is better. Others love that process though, and man, more power to you if you do. I'm just going to go with my ears and the ears of those I trust and start there. Top Jimi has some killer profiles, and I trust Michael Nielsen's ears (Big Hairy Profiles). I know M Britt has deservedly gotten much praise, but part of the reason for me going digital is to gain access to all the classic speakers and cabs as well. So profiling everything through a CL80 speaker is not really what I'm after, as good as they may sound. His 3rd Power CSR profile, though? I could be convinced ;)

There's also the change from speaker cabs to studio monitors. I considered FRFR, but their value is more geared to gigging musicians. I would consider mine a home studio location, and I could get a pair of nice Focal active monitors for the price of one nice powered FRFR. And staying stereo is a must. Man I'm picky :P

I'm hoping this endeavor goes as well as I've imagined. See everyone around~