Posts by AdamMassacre1981

RESOLVED!!!

Hey Guys!!

So i figured out what was causing the ringing feedback sound. After removing all cables and connections i reconnected them one by one and the ring was gone which then got me on the mission to find it again and i did.The TRS cable going into my 4pre was not fully pushed in. After pushing it all the way in the ring feedback noise completely vanished. So the simple lesson to be learned here is to make sure all cables are correctly inserted...kinda wish i never dropped the £40 so quickly on a new cable but hey ho haha.

\m/

Roland are a reputable brand. Mogami is pretty much snakeoil. No need to spend that much on a cable.

Even if the wires were crossed it wouldn’t cause feedback.

The feedback happening without the guitar obviously rules out microphonic pickups so at least that’s one step closer to finding the source 👍

Heartbreaking when i hear the word "snakeoil" just after i drop cash on something🤣🤣 the plot thickens. I will stick at it and see what i can come up with.

Any ideas anyone has would be welcomed :)

Take care in buying cables from Amazon because sometimes they get their wires reversed. Try another brand.

Awww bugger. It was a Roland cable ( Roland Rcc-10-Trxf Interconnect) i thought they were a reputable brand...oh well. I guess im gonna have to find a new one because besides the ring feedback i like the tone haha.

EDIT: Just ordered a Mogami cable from GuitarGuitar fingers crossed i aint just blew £40 haha.

If the squealing only happens with that one guitar then that would suggest it isn’t a DAW routing issue. Squealing normally happens due to microphonic pickups . It is unlikely that the actipn he0ght/truss rod adjustment/etc would cause that squealing.

Sorry i forgot to mention this also happens when i unplug the guitar and touch the end of the guitar cable. It seems this only happens when im using the XLR female -TRS MAin output to my interface.

WARNING!! Turn volume down FEEDBACK NOISE.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

First clip is the XLR FEMALE- TRS JACK from MAIN OUT LEFT direct to my interface that causes the feedback ringing either Mic or Line produces the same noise. The second clip is the exact same profile only this time using TRS cable out from MAIN OUTPUT directly into interface with no ring but obviously has the standard buzz you would get from touching a plugged in guitar cable.

i like how the XLR-TRS sounds but not the ringing bit haha is there a fix?

To me it sounds more like a routing issue in the Daw than a Kemper issue. The feedback would probably be your Daw output somehow being fed back into the Kemper input. Maybe check how you have the routing setup? Are you also using the new Kemper USB audio that might somehow be part of this? To check that you might unplug any USB from the Kemper and try the Daw again.

Aside from that, the XLR's can be very high output. Using the XLR could be making your interface see this as a mic level instead of line level. You might try it with a TRS to TRS or a regular guitar cable to see how it affects things.

That's seems like a pretty insane shipping amount, so you'd want to be really sure there's something very wrong in hardware. Wouldn't be much fun to go that route and then get the Kemper back with a "nothing wrong" report.

Hey CM thanks for the reply. Sorry im not fully savvy with tech stuff im not sure how my DAW would send its signal back into my kemper input...my brain fried trying to process that haha. The only USB cable i have connected to the kemper is for Rig Manager could that somehow be messing with something? Hhmmm...So i tried a different guitar (my ESP with emg's) and it didnt have this feedback problem at all. I then plugged my Solar back in and it was feeding back again...the plot thickens. Maybe my action is too low on the Solar and as a result the strings are too close to the pickups and some kind of strange voodoo is happening making it feedback.

Yeah Royal mail wanted just short of £150 to send it (without insurance) so it makes sense they would probably want around £150 to send it back but none of that journey would be insured so of course i backed out.

Plan B is to go see a luthier to get a full setup truss rod bridge nut etc which i DID last week but i found out as i got to his now (not known to me at the time) former shop he had infact retired haha just my luck haha.

Yeah so luthier then see where im at. \m/

Hey guys! so i was testing some stuff swapping out cables and trying different outputs and i ran into crazy feedback.

I only got this problem when i used an XLR Female to TRS cable coming out of the kemper Main Output (Ground button enabled) direct into my interface. Im guessing this is not normal and i should realy not ever attempt this again.

Any advice would be cool.

Also update on the "sending the kemper to Germany" I took my unit to Royal Mail all packaged up correctly with all the correct documents and was rather excited untill Royal mail told me after i requested insurance that they dont insure musical equipment and it was cost around £300 to ship WITHOUT insurance...absolutely heartbroken. They suggested i try another courier but was then told it would probably cost way more...devistated! looks like i got some saving up to do huh?

WARNING!!! TURN DOWN VOLUME WHEN LISTENING TO THIS CLIP...

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Does this mean all those many 100's and 100's of £££'s ive spent over the years on commercial profile bundle packs i will have to spend it all over again on the liquid profile version?...oh bugger. Those company's palms must be blisterted from rubbing together so viciously.

Totaly took this on board buddy.

I swapped out my old HS7 monitors a while back (they were killing me) for the more warmer eardrum friendly Adam Audios and i no longer have them facing me directly in the face which would cause serious ear fatigue pretty much instantly especialy using high gain amps.

My ears are shot to sh*t from years of damage anyway so i reckon alot of that "noise" i hear is partly due to my ear damage and probably...well...in my head lol.

I now play and record/mix at rather low volume and it seems to have helped significantly.

Im still getting my guitars to a luthier for a full make over and setup though.

Slowly but surely getting there brother! \m/

Interesting.

Im using EMG 81's on my sixtring . Seymour Duncan Black winter on one of my sevenstrings EMG 81-7H on another sevenstring Duncan Solar in another sevenstring a Seymour Duncan sentient in my ESP II sevenstring . Basicaly killing machines! haha but they all have the same situation. At this point im training my ears to not hear it and aiming more so to just digging in and writing recording stuff. Ive even turned and lowered my monitors away from directly facing me because my ears are old from years in being in insanely loud bands and dont deserve to be tortured anymore haha.

Payday soon so im taking one of my axe's to a pro luthier to get a full makeover and setup :)

Seymour Duncan Pasus Seymour Duncan Pegasus Seymour Duncan Pegasus

Yes! sometimes i really dig a certain tone and it sounds killer! Everything is just vibing but a few days later i hear it and that vibe has gone and i kinda hate it and wonder what the hell happened! This happens with A LOT of profiles and then i start to think well if this is happening a lot with a lot of profiles then surely its some kind of malfunction happening with my gear and then i start altering things and turning knobs and reconfiguring cables and moving monitors and buying new interfaces and crying to the lovely chaps at Kemper that my unit is broken...Jeez. Im so glad you dudes are saying this as i felt so alone in my dilemma and my brain was exploding in frustration.

There IS a light at the end of my nightmare.

\m/

Im gonna take one of my guitars to a pro luthier to get it setup properly and if that fix's it then i will take my other guitars to get setup too.

Ive always been a aggressive player i use quite heavy gauge strings and thick pics and tend to dig in hard.

Ive had my action low ive had it high as hell to where its unbearable to play and i can still hear it. That high end sizzle or as i call it the pew pew phazey glitched rank frequency is in every high gain profile i use from many different commercial and none commercial profiles ive used. Thats a crazy coincidence huh?

Like i said its gonna be in the hands of a pro and lets see what they say 👊😉

Single notes. This is obviously not a faboulous masterpiece composition its purely just single notes to attempt to show the situation.

Yes 100% its a nightmare to do any kind of solo work when writing and recording 4th/5th fret upwards is just problems especialy when using the D-G-B-E strings.

It could also be the pick attack that causes this tbh ?

Raf

Does that mean my pick attack is not up to standard? lol Awww man thats heartbreaking ive had the same way of playing for nearly 30 years i dont have another 30 to relearn guitar haha :P

I didn't realize it was on 6 guitars ... I had this squeeling string noise when I picked ... brought the guitar the a luthier and one fret was way to high causing this harmonic kinda sound as I hear on your recording ... Do you also hear it when you pick really soft ? So not moving the string so much ?

Raf

Yes i can hear it and i can kinda feel it too i guess i just thought new strings had that new twang slappy sound kinda didnt think maybe it was in need of such an adjustment.

Picked up another guitar and noticed the same issue...Yupp1 100% gonna take one of my axes to the store tomorrow and explain the situation.

Thats the frequency i can't unhear in every high gain profile ive ever used. Its become pretty much impossible to not hear it now.

No EQ removes it.

Is it just normal and how High Gain amps are supposed to sound? to me theres a clear problem.

Yupp! im gonna head to my guitar store and get my guitar looked at.

I know ive been saying that for a while its just a nightmare working full time and general life unfolding its tough to get a spare moment to get stuff like guitars looked at.

My guess is that your string is touching a fret somewhere along the neck ... So a fretjob, neck adjustement will fix this ...

Raf

You can hear it though yeah? im not losing my marbles? Thank Heavens. Im gonna go into my local guitar shop and get it looked at. Im just uploading a new recording where i singled out the EQ frequency noise problem thing.

I will share the link as soon as its uploaded.

For the longest time i was convinced it was some kind of digital malfunction...somewhere the signal was corrupt or some kind of glitch...i dont know but ive tried everything except the pro setup.

Fingers crossed its just a setup that is needed and then that will take a lot of stress off me figuring out how to send my kemper to the wonderful chaps in Germany.

It IS kinda strange all 6 of my guitars have the exact same issue with high gain profiles. They sound sound fantastic with clean profiles.

What do you hear? All I hear is the inherent top end fizzle-grit that comes from any mic'd cab. You can adjust that with a high cut and or Pure Cab adjustment. But it is usually lost in a mix anyway.

I will try to EQ and single out the problem frequencies i just cant un-hear that i cant shift with any amount of knob twisting or IR swapping and i will upload another recording. BrB \m/